Intro: Jimming

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

PocketKings
Ranger

Re: Intro: Jimming

Post by PocketKings »

A well known Ranger NCO told me once that I would amount to nothing when I was a cadet. I spent the next 8 years proving him wrong.

I found out later that he wanted to knock the chip off my shoulder and put a fire under my ass. It worked. I thanked him, he laughed, then smoked some new guy.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Ranger Jim, now that I am 17 I am moving closer to my enlistment. I will be studying a lot for the ASVAB and will be taking the ASVAB sometime in the coming months. After that I will either sign into the DEP in April/May or I will enlist in November (my 18th birthday). Since my last post I have been talking more with my parents and they seem to be leaning towards signing me into the DEP, which is a good thing. I will continue to visit this site much more frequently to read posts from other mentees, Rangers, and veterans so that I can better prepare myself. As I said in my recent update post, I have been and will continue to intensify my training. My PT is getting better, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Roger Ranger PocketKings. The Ranger that I met motivated me in a new way. I will not allow him to be correct about me.

PT Scores:
Pushups (2 minutes) - 97
Pullups - 16
Situps (2 minutes) - 90
2 mile run - 12:15

My pullup scores are lower than normal because I made sure that I had extremely strict form. I kept my legs straight the entire time, and made sure that my elbows locked out and my shoulders rotated with every rep. I will work on increasing that number while I maintain strict form. My 2 mile run has improved greatly, and I am very happy about that, however my endurance is still lacking, so I am going to continue to be stressing cardio.
11X
SHIP DATE: 20150728
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please keep us informed of your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim.
11X
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Rangers,

I am late to post this update. No excuse, pushing out 50+1.

There is good news and bad news. Bad news first:
Last month I used a different program to measure my run distance, and the distance it called 2 miles was actually only 1.75 miles, which would explain the ridiculously low time I got. This made me angry to say the least, and I plan on double or triple checking measurements that I get from now on. The second piece of bad news is that my shin splints are back, and they're pretty bad. I ran through them for 2 weeks because I was making good progress, and it got to the point where walking started to hurt, and that's when I had to stop. I wasn't able to complete the 2 mile run for the PT test this month because of it, so if you would like me to complete a different exercise such as rowing or biking or anything else on a timer, I would be happy to.

Good news:
Because I kept running with my shin splints, my endurance got a lot better. I reached the point where running is actually enjoyable for me as well as other cardio exercises. When I had to stop running, I moved onto rowing and biking so that I could maintain my endurance. The football workouts that I've been doing in the mornings have also helped me a lot with my endurance. I am now only about 1 month and 10 days from being able to enter the DEP, and my parents finally decided to go to the recruiter with me sometime in the next week or two to meet with them and discuss the contracts. I will keep you updated on what happens with the recruiter.

PT Test:
Pushups - 84 (2 mins)
Situps - 94 (2 mins)
Pullups - 19
2 mile run - explained above.

I have been even more strict on myself with form, which is why my pushup score dropped a little bit. Again, I could not complete the run because of problems with shin splints. If you have a different exercises that you would like me to complete as a temporary replacement for the running on the PT test, I would be happy to comply.

- Jamie
11X
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Rangers,

PT Test:
Pushups - 92 (2 min)
Situps - 90 (2 min)
Pullups 22
2 mile run - 15:01

Everything has gotten better and easier except for running. In my last update I explained my shin-splints. They are now healed, but my inability to actually get out and run has hurt my endurance. I am getting back into running, and will work my way from long, slow distance to faster paces. I look forward to seeing some serious improvement in my run times a few weeks from now.

My parents and I went to talk with my recruiter last week. The meeting was great. My (new) recruiter, who just came in to replace my old one, had actually been attached to a battalion as a truck driver (though he was not an actual Ranger). He had a lot of good information on the 75th Ranger Regiment, as well as general information for my parents. My parents had all of their questions and concerns answered.

I will not be signing with the 14 month senior program, because after the meeting, my parents do not want to consent. Because of this, I will be signing in November after my birthday. My recruiter has told me that because my birthday is so close to the start of the fiscal year, I will still be able to get an 11x Op. 40 easily. Whether or not this is true... I guess I'll find out in November, because I don't have any other choice. I am in touch with the recruiter and hopefully will attend some PT sessions and other events with the recruiting station. I will take the ASVAB either this summer or after the start of my senior year, which was recommended to me by the recruiter.

I will keep you all posted.
- Jamie
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Understand. Please keep us updated. Start to memorize the Ranger Creed and start living your life by it.. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim.

- Jamie
11X
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Rangers,

I went to see a doctor recently for my shins because the pain was coming back. After x-rays and some examination, my doctor determined that I have what he called "stress reactions", and I am on the verge of having stress fractures in my shins if I continue to run. He has told me to stop running/high impact exercises for 6 weeks. Obviously this means that I will not be running for a while and will not be able to run for this PT test or the next one. I have already begun to bike long distances and will find other ways of maintaining/improving my cardio while I wait for my shins to heal.

In other news, I found out that my family friends know a former Special Forces officer who served multiple deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq, and I am going to meet with him early next month to talk and to ask him any questions that I have about the military, special operations, preparation, etc... I look forward to getting to meet him, and I will tell you what I learn.

I memorized the Ranger Creed and will continue to practice it until it is burned into my memory.

PT Test:
Pushups - 92 (2 min)
Situps - 90 (2 min)
Pullups - 20
2 mile - explained above in first paragraph
11X
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Any low impact exercise you can continue to do. Biking is great. However if you have access to a pool it would be even better to swim. You get a great cardio workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Grim666. I don't have access to a pool, but it just got warm enough that I can actually bike a few miles to lake Michigan and swim there. Thank you for the advice.

- Jamie
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:Roger Ranger Grim666. I don't have access to a pool, but it just got warm enough that I can actually bike a few miles to lake Michigan and swim there. Thank you for the advice.
Not sure how competent a swimmer you are, but do everything you can to learn drown-proofing. You will need that skill. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim. I consider myself a good swimmer, and will work with some of my friends on drown-proofing.

Roger Ranger ManchuV. I had been running in some variant of the Reebok Realflex shoes and I was using the inserts that came with the shoe. The shoes were not good for running (especially not on hard ground), and the inserts had zero support. Sadly, I only bought new running shoes about a week before I went to the doctor and was told to stop running. I had talked with just about everyone on my school's running team and they all told me to buy Asics, so that's what I did. I don't remember the specific model but it was one of their higher quality running shoes. I have been using the same brand of orthopedic inserts since my hiking trip last summer - SuperFeet. Again, I only began to use them for running just before I was told to stop. There is a running store in my town, so I will have to stop by there and see what they have to say. I definitely will stay away from high-impact exercise until I know I am ready. I do not want to repeat this process. I will keep those shoes that you mentioned in mind when I head to the running store, especially if I find that the Asics aren't working out. Thank you very much for your help and advice, Ranger ManchuV.

- Jamie
11X
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Jamie,

I'd go a step further and look at what ManchuV actually said. Going to a "Pro" to have your foot assessed is a good idea. They need to check your arches and etc. I got them bad until an NCO made me go get them checked. I had been picking the wrong shoe for years and having the right support made my running better. I didn't have pain anymore, which made me run faster. As slow as it sounds, my last two years in I consistently ran my 2 miles between 13:55 and 14:02. I was in my 30s so I took it.

I know there are 30 year olds in here smoking my time, but I was happy with it....not satisfied....but happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”