Introduction-Jim

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim B
Embryo

Introduction-Jim

Post by Jim B »

Hey, my name is Jim and I'm 18 years old. I'm currently a high school senior whose been looking to enlist with an 11x option 40 contract. I took the ASVAB and scored a 93 with a GT score of 129. My recruiters are telling me that their will not be 11x option 40 contracts available for quite some time.

However, they do say that they can get their hands on an 11x contract for me, which brings up the possibility of me getting an option 40 during OSUT. I looked into that process quite a bit and can't help but worry that I'd go through OSUT only to be told that their are no open slots for me. I have the GT score and am physically capable of scoring high on the APFT, which is apparently how guys obtain the option 40s.

I am curious to know if their is ANYTHING ELSE that I, or my recruiter, can do to increase my chances of getting an option 40 while in OSUT. This site looked like it would give me the most legitimate answers and insights on this situation, which brings me to this introductory post. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this site.

-Jim
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction-Jim

Post by Jim »

Jim B if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. Please read the FAQs, as well as appropriate stickies and threads. The search feature, located at the top right of this page can be used to address most of your questions. Please tell us more about yourself; where do you live in Pennsylvania? Do you play sports? Please self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread within the next 72 hours. never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

PM sent, Jim B.
A Co, 3/75.
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

I live in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, which is a suburb right outside of Philadelphia. I always wanted to be in the military but I thought I'd try college first. Now that its actually time to enroll into college I realize that I'd much rather take the military route to be a Ranger.

I do not play any high school sports although I love to exercise. I'd consider MMA my favorite sport. My PT scores are:

Pushups/2minutes-108
Situps/2minutes-100
2 mile run-14:10
Dead hang pullups-24
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jim B wrote:I live in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, which is a suburb right outside of Philadelphia. I always wanted to be in the military but I thought I'd try college first. Now that its actually time to enroll into college I realize that I'd much rather take the military route to be a Ranger.

I do not play any high school sports although I love to exercise. I'd consider MMA my favorite sport. My PT scores are:

Pushups/2minutes-108
Situps/2minutes-100
2 mile run-14:10
Dead hang pullups-24
OK, now you have established a baseline for your Physical fitness. You need to run a lot, Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Hey Jim,

While most companies, as in, the vast majority of them at Sand Hill, give out option 40s....my company made it a point to not give out any. They only gave out 3 18x contracts. They straight up didn't bother to take them to the liaison to volunteer, even after the brief we got from the Ranger LNO. He told all those without contracts and with qualifying scores to come down and volunteer before FTX. When they asked the DSs to go down there (literally down the street 100yds and around the corner), they blew them off. RASP lost some good candidates.

Anyways, with those scores, should they stand as such at OSUT, you will get one IF there is one to get...but be wary...once in OSUT you pretty much are owned by the cadre....if they don't feel like it...you don't go Ranger.

So, my point is to try with all of your effort to get it in the contract.

(They also outright refused to promote anyone to pv2....not sure why).

-vyce
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

Vyce wrote:Hey Jim,

While most companies, as in, the vast majority of them at Sand Hill, give out option 40s....my company made it a point to not give out any. They only gave out 3 18x contracts. They straight up didn't bother to take them to the liaison to volunteer, even after the brief we got from the Ranger LNO. He told all those without contracts and with qualifying scores to come down and volunteer before FTX. When they asked the DSs to go down there (literally down the street 100yds and around the corner), they blew them off. RASP lost some good candidates.

Anyways, with those scores, should they stand as such at OSUT, you will get one IF there is one to get...but be wary...once in OSUT you pretty much are owned by the cadre....if they don't feel like it...you don't go Ranger.

So, my point is to try with all of your effort to get it in the contract.

(They also outright refused to promote anyone to pv2....not sure why).

-vyce
Thanks a lot for sharing this. I've been hearing a lot about situations like this actually. Was this recent?
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

Jim wrote: OK, now you have established a baseline for your Physical fitness. You need to run a lot, Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim, will do. I have a lot of good sprint workouts waiting for me.

By the way, you do not live near Fairfax, Virginia do you? I was accepted into George Mason University to study Arabic and Global Affairs/Conflict Peace Analysis. That was my main plan until I decided to pursue my aspiration of being a Ranger.

-Jim
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I live in Fairfax County. And I think the men who are training want you to be a success,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

Rangers, thank you for the advice and input thus far. I think my next step will be to have my recruiter contact the Ranger Liaison to find out some more information on the recruiting process at OSUT. I think I have a pretty solid grasp on the whole process right now, but I'd like hear a little more about it from the Regimental Recruiter.

I also have recently found out that recruiters can contact the Ranger Liaison to inform them about possible option 40 candidates in OSUT, which is something to discuss with my recruiter.

Thanks, Jim
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You're welcome. I'm Jim, you're Jim B.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Yes this was very recent, I graduated OSUT March 8th and am in Airborne now. I leave for pre-RASP in 2 weeks.

It's ultimately your decision to enlist how you wish, but I'm going to let you know now...some kid had more than enough credentials to get a contract, the LNO told him in person that he "better" come down to volunteer...(his office was also down the street not more than 5 minutes by foot)...but not matter how personalized it may seem through your recruiter...there is 1 LNO for all of sand hill, and 1 LNO for airborne school. That's a lot of names....and ultimately if your DS is a jerk...it's up to him that you get to the office. The window is particularly small, as well...contracts usually don't go out until after the 4th APFT and you have to get it generally before FTX, otherwise, more than likely....they will tell you it's too late to cut/cancel orders and get you in for an airborne physical by the time you graduate.

And I can almost guarantee that by 10 weeks into OSUT,which is when the 4th APFT was. which will probably begin 4-6 months after you initially sign the contract, the LNO will have no idea that conversation took place...heck, it could be a different person by then.

Also, it's a lot easier to get the contract as a civilian than to have to deal with it while in OSUT. Which would be the short version of what I just typed...heh. All it takes is a few frank conversations and a little persistence. It sounds bleak...but your beating heart not in ACUs is a better offer than a PT score...once you're there..the army can do whatever they want with you....it's not up to you.

Back to my lane! Hope I helped.

-vyce
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

Vyce wrote: Also, it's a lot easier to get the contract as a civilian than to have to deal with it while in OSUT. Which would be the short version of what I just typed...heh. All it takes is a few frank conversations and a little persistence. It sounds bleak...but your beating heart not in ACUs is a better offer than a PT score...once you're there..the army can do whatever they want with you....it's not up to you.

Back to my lane! Hope I helped.

-vyce
Vyce, I really appreciate that post. Its awesome that you took the time to post that. I think its the most up-to-date account of the 75th recruiting at OSUT I've heard.
Vyce wrote: but not matter how personalized it may seem through your recruiter...there is 1 LNO for all of sand hill, and 1 LNO for airborne school.
I initially thought that I'd be set if I could get my recruiter to call the Liaison, but this actually makes a lot of sense. I still don't like the odds. I'm really leaning towards getting the opt. 40 in my initial contract like you mentioned. Its looking like I'm going to have to wait a good amount of time to grab one though, but I'm thinking that it'll be worth it. Thanks again and best of luck to you!

-Jim B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Update?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70