INTRO-Tooreal11

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: INTRO-Tooreal11

Post by IEDmagnet »

mortar_guy78 wrote:And just what the fuck is wrong with being an 11C?
People don't like us because we're Bravos that do math.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
tooreal11
Embryo

Post by tooreal11 »

LOL...I didnt say anything is wrong with 11C. Im sure they are a god sent when support is needed. Just personal preference regarding the 11 Bravo :)
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

tooreal11 wrote:LOL...I didnt say anything is wrong with 11C. Im sure they are a god sent when support is needed. Just personal preference regarding the 11 Bravo :)
Just to be clear, as a 60mm mortar SL, my guys, nor I... were never in the rear. One of my two gun crews was on every patrol that left our FOB in Afghanistan. We did everything direct lay, which means I was close enough to see my targets and put effective LOS fire from my M4 onto targets while my guys put cross hairs onto them to hang rounds.

My point is don't get too caught up in the hype. I can't speak of the Charlie's in Regiment (I'm sure they are masters of the craft), but we chuckers are just Bravos with extra tools.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
tooreal11
Embryo

Post by tooreal11 »

Just to be clear, as a 60mm mortar SL, my guys, nor I... were never in the rear. One of my two gun crews was on every patrol that left our FOB in Afghanistan. We did everything direct lay, which means I was close enough to see my targets and put effective LOS fire from my M4 onto targets while my guys put cross hairs onto them to hang rounds.

My point is don't get too caught up in the hype. I can't speak of the Charlie's in Regiment (I'm sure they are masters of the craft), but we chuckers are just Bravos with extra tools.
Your right, it is easy to get caught up in hype when you honestly know nothing about what your talking about other than what one has been told or read. I know the option 11x is mandatory and friends close to me who are currently in or have served made it very clear to demand two schools or you walk. Airborne and Air Assault is a must. So everyones suggestions from here I take very serious. I should explain further as to why its important to select a particular job, a career outside of the military when that day comes. We worked with two contract companies in the past, Triple Canopy and Global. I would like to be an attractive candidate later in life if that opportunity presents itself. But, whos to say I do not finish my days active duty in the military?
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I was going to read your intro post, but I decided to read the entire dictionary, as it was shorter, less time consuming, and probably more entertaining. Either way, welcome to the site, hope you find whatever it is that your looking for.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

And just what the fuck is wrong with being an 11C?
A friend of a friend, who knows a NAVY SEAL, who was one of the guys who killed Bin Laden, told me that they might be gay...

... not that there is anything wrong with that
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

tooreal11 wrote: .......when you honestly know nothing about what your talking about.....

This.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Tooly,

I had to read this three or four times, then cogitate for a bit. I am going to offer you feedback on your communication. My feedback is not an invitation for more exchange about my feedback.
tooreal11 wrote:Thanks Rangers for all your responses! LOL Ranger Jim thank you for the link...I am planning to come in with an 11x contract, I want 11 Bravo over the 11C.

Fair enough. A man should know what he wants. You'll still do as you're told if you want to be a Ranger. Save the 'lol' and smiley face bullshit for a woman. We don't want it.

Ranger GoldCoast great question.

I don't require your assessment. I don't give a damn what you think. You haven't earned that privelege.

Man the pressure is on!

Yes.

I mean this question is kind of unfair in the fact that the answer is obvious?

Who gives a shit if it's unfair?? I don't think I've ever heard that word out of a Ranger's mouth. I know from personal experience terrorists aren't fair because I've physically touched some of the very worst. 9/11 wasn't fair, and the things Rangers see they can't talk about definitely aren't fair. I solemnly promise you the RASP cadre will levy the most UNFAIR (makes me feel like I just said quit. Fucking gross.) tasks they can think of. They won't even bat an eye doing it. The new Rangers will be men who accomplished those tasks. I'm not liking your odds on becoming a Ranger if this is your thought process.

Well first, let me state that the military is something I want to do, not something that I have to do or that I have no other direction. This decision has been thought out, examined and I can honestly say there is nothing else that I want to do, PERIOD. I think this in itself says a lot.

This block, right here, would have been a completely sufficient response to my question. Time will tell if it's true or not.

I bring some success in life but double the failure.

Most men your age can say the same. That's not something you bring to Regiment. Check your baggage at MEPs.

That has built maturity and leadership which is worth 5 19 year old cowboys on a battlefield.

No it's not. Most Rangers who could be your PEERS are roughly that age. They are not cowboys. They kill the shit out of bad guys every day. They do it professionally, and they are the best infantry men on this planet.

Regardless if someone could offer 20 years to 6 years worth service, if the time they serve brought contribution, achievement and ultimately overall success...What more could ask for?

You're still failing to proofread, but this statement has merit. It is suitable to be lumped in with the approved response above.

I am just as easily influenced as a 19 year old if what im being influenced on is a righteous endeavor.

That is a cop-out. This tells me you are leaving yourself room to decide what lessons are important. You're going to pick and choose what you will learn from your Ranger cadre? Rangers have a word for that; 'failure.' The RASP cadre know the secret for battlefield success. Even the un-righteous (in your opinion) things they say can mean the difference between life and death. This statement is the primary source of our collective skepticism.

Never having been in combat I would have to believe the ultimate driving force is that guy next to you, a father, son or husband which is something I most likely would know more about than a 19 year old.

Probably. But the Ranger next to you probalby wouldn't look at it that way. He will just care about the man next to him because he is another Ranger. History has proven he will jump on a grenade for another Ranger without considering the other Ranger's personal life.

As far as training goes, that all depends on the individuals motivation and want to be trained..

Extremely true.

I want to be trained so I don't know how one being 19 year old would some how make him more trainable?

Because he won't pick and choose the bits of training that he thinks are important. He'll just soak it all up and use that information to kill terrorists. Or fix radios so someone else can kill terrorists. Or cook food so someone else can kill terrorists. And sometimes, even the support Ranger will kill terrorists.

And please Ranger GoldCoast don't think im being condescending in any way. I hope that answered your question,

I am not satisfied with your answer. You probably figured that out by now. See below for further guidance.

please feel free to share your thoughts on this

I will 'share' whatever thoughts I please. I don't need permission to do so.

and thanks for your time, everyone's time.

You're welcome. Let us know if you get that contract. Until then, nothing you can say about wanting to be a Ranger matters. After that, there are mentoring programs available.
These were my thoughts when I read your remarks. I had to tone them down to make them understood. Your intro, and following posts, scream retardedly to the Rangers here. I do not know a single Ranger who appreciates a verbal handjob from another man. You seem like a relatively intelligent man, but tactics that work in the civilian realm do not work in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Being a Ranger will require a new communication style on your part, and probably a mental overhaul to boot. If you think you can do that then perhaps you have what it takes to be a Ranger. Most men your age don't.

Perhaps I should have been more clear when I asked what you can bring to the Ranger Regiment. I will rectify that oversight now. What specific ability do you possess that other men do not, and how will you use it to benefit Rangers? For example; can you fly an airplane, build a house, grow a garden, train a working dog, or fight a fire? What is your degree in? Are you an engineer? Are you a paramedic? What can you making you more worth the Ranger cadre's time than the man in line behind you?

In your next reply be less concerned with being liked. Keep your opinions to yourself. Stick to the facts. Your actions are the only thing that will impress a Ranger, and then only if they are sufficiently impressive. Sufficiently impressive to a Ranger is... a pretty high benchmark.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
tooreal11
Embryo

Post by tooreal11 »

These were my thoughts when I read your remarks. I had to tone them down to make them understood. Your intro, and following posts, scream retardedly to the Rangers here. I do not know a single Ranger who appreciates a verbal handjob from another man. You seem like a relatively intelligent man, but tactics that work in the civilian realm do not work in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Being a Ranger will require a new communication style on your part, and probably a mental overhaul to boot. If you think you can do that then perhaps you have what it takes to be a Ranger. Most men your age don't.

Perhaps I should have been more clear when I asked what you can bring to the Ranger Regiment. I will rectify that oversight now. What specific ability do you possess that other men do not, and how will you use it to benefit Rangers? For example; can you fly an airplane, build a house, grow a garden, train a working dog, or fight a fire? What is your degree in? Are you an engineer? Are you a paramedic? What can you making you more worth the Ranger cadre's time than the man in line behind you?

In your next reply be less concerned with being liked. Keep your opinions to yourself. Stick to the facts. Your actions are the only thing that will impress a Ranger, and then only if they are sufficiently impressive. Sufficiently impressive to a Ranger is... a pretty high benchmark.

What are my abilities which can be contributed to the 75th. Well first, I am a pilot, acquired my private pilots license nearly 10 years ago. Past 8 years of my life I have been paid to go to places in the world no one else wants to go. I have an ability to be giving a task with no experience to the situation and come out successful. Sounds easy but, be dropped off in a country where you dont speak the language, you have no understanding of the culture and your supposed to successfully get 275 train carts to a end location 3,300 miles away without being ripped off or kidnapped. Rangers can relate no doubt. Im giving a translator, obviously an asset or two and a time frame. My job was unorthodox, self taught, no education from a school can make you successful in that job. So I dont know what job description that falls under. I can pick up on languages fairly quickly, Russian was one of them.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

tooreal11 wrote:
What are my abilities which can be contributed to the 75th. Well first, I am a pilot, acquired my private pilots license nearly 10 years ago. Past 8 years of my life I have been paid to go to places in the world no one else wants to go. I have an ability to be giving a task with no experience to the situation and come out successful. Sounds easy but, be dropped off in a country where you dont speak the language, you have no understanding of the culture and your supposed to successfully get 275 train carts to a end location 3,300 miles away without being ripped off or kidnapped. Rangers can relate no doubt. Im giving a translator, obviously an asset or two and a time frame. My job was unorthodox, self taught, no education from a school can make you successful in that job. So I dont know what job description that falls under. I can pick up on languages fairly quickly, Russian was one of them.
Have you considered Special Forces? Your description sounds like it might be a better fit for you.

http://www.goarmy.com/special-forces.html#
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
tooreal11
Embryo

Post by tooreal11 »

Thanks Ranger Jim for that link. I have thought about Special Forces, although I have educated myself much more on becoming a Ranger. I suppose I washed the idea of Special Forces when I read the cut off age being 30 years old?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

tooreal11 wrote:Thanks Ranger Jim for that link. I have thought about Special Forces, although I have educated myself much more on becoming a Ranger. I suppose I washed the idea of Special Forces when I read the cut off age being 30 years old?
Ask for a waiver.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
tooreal11
Embryo

Post by tooreal11 »

Ranger Jim, the waiver option...Is that something I should push my recruiter or most likely something that I would attempt to get while in?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

tooreal11 wrote:Ranger Jim, the waiver option...Is that something I should push my recruiter or most likely something that I would attempt to get while in?
Start with your recruiter, but it will be submitted through MEPs.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

tooreal11 wrote:Thanks Ranger Jim for that link. I have thought about Special Forces, although I have educated myself much more on becoming a Ranger. I suppose I washed the idea of Special Forces when I read the cut off age being 30 years old?
I find this hard to believe. Especially after your statement about 19yr old Rangers being cowboys.

I personally, and I think it safe to say, that about 99% of the Rangers on this site have known, fought with and loved like brothers or sons, several 19yr old Rangers who made the ultimate sacrifice for this country.

The Scroll on their PT shirt may have been ink, and the Scroll on their shoulders may have been cloth, but the Scroll on their hearts was blood and it's been there since the day they were born.

Cowboys don't last in Regiment. Young Rangers grow to become some of the very best combat leaders in the world, from any era.

You need to do more research. I'd also suggest a condensed course in situational awareness.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”