Will this effect me trying to get my security clearance?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Alpinestars
Embryo

Will this effect me trying to get my security clearance?

Post by Alpinestars »

To start with, I have done Marijuana at most eight times. I am currently 17 and stopped this last June for good. I have never tried any other drug and I used to occasionally drink at some high school parties but I'm done with that now also. My record is spotless and I have never gotten into trouble with law enforcement. So my overall main question is, will the previous drinking and smoking weed prevent me from receiving a security clearance or do you think I will be fine if I admit to it at MEPS?
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Will this effect me trying to get my security clearance?

Post by KW Driver »

Having a changing story will get scrutiny.

I'm not telling you to lie, but if you do, you better stick to it. But with the truth, there is less to keep track of.

I told the truth and have had a clearance for 23 years. Your milage may vary. Having never worked intel or as a investigator/adjudicator, you should be ok, if you tell the truth.

But if this is what you want, your days of using need to be behind you. Alcohol related incidences (some kind of record/ticket/jail time) will probably have an equal affect. So drink smart. Have a plan, a secondary plan, and a tertiary plan, especially if you drink underage. Don't make a stupid mistake drunk.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

KW Driver wrote: Don't make a stupid mistake drunk.
You rang? Oh, thought you were talking about me.

Talk to your recruiter about it too, at least make him aware. When I recruited there was a policy somewhere speaking directly to charges of marijuana and popping hot on the test causing a two year wait.

But my information is way out dated, so my point is talk to your recruiter. Don't blind side him.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Is that stuff still illegal ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Recruitment Process”