Introduction: Max P

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bronco
Quitter

Introduction: Max P

Post by Bronco »

Hello all Rangers and future soldiers,

My name is Max P. and I am 17 years old and a junior in high school. My goal is to go into the Army and eventually become an Army Ranger. I know that becoming a Ranger isn't easy at all, that's why I'm trying to push myself daily in order to improve my chances of becoming a Ranger. However, I'm not sure what path I really want to take once I graduate from high school in a little over a year. A couple of months ago I really wanted to try and apply to USMA or apply for an AROTC scholarship, but lately I have really been thinking about enlisting once I graduated. I'm really not sure what to do and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has about either of these two options. In addition to that, I would appreciate if anyone could tell me a little about their experience being an Army Ranger because I just want an idea of what it's really like.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I run cross country and track so I'm always running, but never really doing much to improve my strength. Right now cross country season is over and track season doesn't start officially until March, but we have a thing called winter track and it's pretty much cross country kids that run over the winter. It's already started, but I've only been a couple of times because I rather go home and lift weights/do strength conditioning. However, my coach has made a point that next cross country season a couple other kids on the team and I are going to have to fill important spots on the varsity team from seniors that are graduating this spring. I don't know what to do? My main problem if I go to practice I come home and do homework and by that time I'm dead tired and don't feel like lifting. In addition to that, we run at least 5 times a week and at minimum 4 or 5 miles a day, so I'm pretty skinny. I feel like I really need to focus on improving my strength in order to achieve my life dream, but on the other hand I can't let the team down. I really don't know what to do and just wondering if anyone here has any good advice.

Very Respectfully,

Max P.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Max P

Post by Jim »

Max, welcome. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take understandable pride in the fine young men who pass through on their life journey. Most of the questions you may have, have been addressed at least once. Use the search feature located at the top right part of this page. The search feature is your friend. On a personal note, I joined the Army and eventually was a Staff Sergeant when I went to OCS. I found that the experience stood me well. I led three platoons, two Companies and a battalion. I retired in my 30th year of service. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Max.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Here are my PT results:

Push-ups: 35 in 2 min.
Sit-ups: 55 in 2 min.
Pull-ups: 6
2 mile run: 14:23

I know these scores are horrible. I have a lot of time to significantly improve them, I just need to put in the time and hard work in order to get where I need to be.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Here are my PT results:

I know these scores are horrible. I have a lot of time to significantly improve them, I just need to put in the time and hard work in order to get where I need to be.
OK, so now you have established your PT baseline. Start to improve yourself. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

This should read;

Mustardseed12 wrote:Rangers, here are my PT results:

Courtesy gig, knock out 25 widearm PU, 50 Flutter kicks (do not let your feet or your head touch the ground or you get to start over at 0) and 50 side straddle hops (jumping jacks for you).

You're welcome.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Roger, Ranger cams.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Roger, Ranger cams.
What, I'm not worth answering?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Jim, I was just trying to let Ranger cams know that I acknowledged what he said and the mistake I made in my post. I thought about including you too, but I thought it may cause some confusion.

Anyways Ranger Jim and Ranger cams I understand the mistake I made and want to thank you for pointing it out. I'll try to prevent careless mistakes such as this one from happening in the future.

I knocked out the 25 wide arm push-ups, 50 flutter kicks. and 50 jumping jacks for the careless mistake I made in my post.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Anyways Ranger Jim and Ranger cams I understand the mistake I made and want to thank you for pointing it out. I'll try to prevent careless mistakes such as this one from happening in the future.
You don't need fancy PT programs. You have a long way to go until you are making minimum scores to be eligable for RASP. Have your memorized the Ranger Creed?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Jim, I'm aware that my pt scores need to be a lot higher to even be considered eligible for RASP. I know my scores aren't magically going to improve and that it's going to take a lot of hard work. In addition to that, I'm not going to try and better my scores with a beach body workout... I'm just going to do a ton of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and running.

I'll be honest... I haven't put much effort into memorizing the Ranger Creed. I know I need to because it's a way of life for all Rangers, so I am going to print it out and lay it next to bed and read it every morning/night before I go to bed.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You need to decide what you want.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Jim, I want to be a Ranger in the 75th Regiment! As of right now I'm doing a lousy job of showing it and I'm going to change that RIGHT NOW!
11X OPT 40

Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Young man, do not PM me unless I instruct you to do so.

After reading your PM requesting a mentor, I reviewed your posts on this and the PT threads.

Three questions -
1. Who else did you PM requesting a mentor?
2. Why did you PM me?
3. I am not impressed with your posts. Why should I consider being a mentor to you?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”