Think tank recommends big benefits cuts (For Military & Ret.

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Think tank recommends big benefits cuts (For Military & Ret.

Post by Steadfast »

(From Air Force Times)

Think tank recommends big benefits cuts (For Military & Ret.)

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Nov 1, 2012 11:36:21 EDT
A new report by a liberal-leaning think tank recommends a dramatic overhaul of military pay, retirement and health care benefits as part of a $1 trillion cut in defense spending over 10 years.

The Center for American Progress calls for capping pay raises, eliminating military health benefits for many retirees who are covered by an employer-provided plan, and reducing the value of military retired pay as well as making retirees wait until age 60 to start receiving it.

Recommendations are included in a report, Rebalancing Our National Security, released Oct. 31 by the progressive think tank and advocacy group. The report opposes across-the-board cuts in defense spending that could occur beginning in January under sequestration but still calls for major reductions in defense spending.

Capping pay raises, the report says, could save $16.5 billion over the next five years. Reducing retiree health care benefits, through a combination of restricting care and raising fees, could save

more
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts (For Military &

Post by Jim »

Welcome to the fiscal cliff.

I don't think Congress has the stomach to reduce entitlements...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Just about every single Liberal whack job from the last 10 years who's never served is under the cloak at the center for progress.

Let's shell out more for food stamps (=Votes) and less for an all volunteer service who has stepped up to the plate and sacrificed so much, especially those disabled vets.

Even more reason why tomorrow can't come soon enough. I hope the whole bunch hits the dumpster.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
RangersNana
Rangers Nana

Post by RangersNana »

Thank You Rangers! This is one American who stands with you,I believe you are under paid. I believe we should treat our Vets,Soldiers and Families like Royalty. We wouldn't have any freedoms if not for all of you that served. Thank You Rangers,Soldiers and dedicated families God Bless you and keep you.
I am so upset with 50% of the American people.Very sad for America

Return to “The News Dump”