Audacious here

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Audacious
Embryo

Audacious here

Post by Audacious »

Hey guys, figure I'd make in intro post since that's pretty much normal forum etiquette. My name is Steve, my nickname is Swerley, so you guys will probably all call me that which is fine. I just turned 20 years old, and am currently entering my Junior year of college pursuing a Computer Science degree. I love computers, however I decided that a desk job wasn't for me.

I've been a runner since I was in middle school, as a distance runner. I transitioned more into a mid distance runner my Junior/Senior year of high school. My Senior year I achieved being one of 2 captains in XC, and track we didn't do any. Knowing I can still run my whole life, I can't see myself behind a desk. I was looking for some jobs that would require more physical activity, and I found a certain job in the government which looked quite awesome. I'm not supposed to say exactly what the job is, so I'll refrain from doing so. However, one of the requirements for the job is Special Ops experience. I've looked at a lot of the different Special Ops units and landed on the Rangers after doing as much research as I could find, and asking an Officer in the Rangers (friend of a friend) if it was a good route for the job I wanted. He said he knew other people that have accomplished that job, and a Ranger is a great place to start.

I have 2 years until I can ship out for basic, so in about a year I'm going to give the Army recruiters the date I can deploy, and tell them I'll accept nothing but an 11x Option 40. I'm going to be on this site looking for workout tips and tricks, and gather whatever knowledge I can about RASP before doing it. I do hear that it's quite the challenge especially if you don't have experience in the army.

Until then I'm finishing up my degree, trying to learn a few languages (Russian, Arabic, and Farsi), stay in top notch shape, and once I'm in (saying I become a Ranger) I plan to pick up a degree with either Intelligence or Counterterroism online.

Hope to learn some good stuff from you guys!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Audacious here

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome

There is plenty to read in Recruiters Q & A forums.

excerpt of Audacious:
Hope to learn some good stuff from you guys[//u]!

There are many Rangers here.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

I can say this is 2 ways, my way or the formal way. I'll do both.

Formal: It's an honor to be connected to so many Rangers.
My way: It's awesome to be on a forum with the some of the best badasses in the world. I hope that one day I can join your ranks!
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Audacious wrote:I can say this is 2 ways, my way or the formal way. I'll do both.

Formal: It's an honor to be connected to so many Rangers.
My way: It's awesome to be on a forum with the some of the best badasses in the world. I hope that one day I can join your ranks!
I will tell you this. Whether you join our ranks or not is entirely up to you. Take advantage of the knowledge offered here. Read and heed. We will help as we can ultimately it's you that has to do the work.

Judging by your post you are educated and have the ability to be well spoken. Use that ability when you post ANYTHING. I also believe that you are verbose and like discussion within groups. I am the same way. There is a time for that...now is not it. Bluntly: Post little, read much.

Ensure you use the search function before asking a question on the board, more than likely it's been answered. The question may have been worded differently so take time and research thoroughly.

Request a mentor AND LISTEN. Follow instructions from your mentor. Show respect to Rangers and your fellow mentee's (you never know they may be your Ranger Buddy).

One last thing you're going to get "scuffed up". Don't take it personal, sometimes the quickest way to learn something is a swift kick in the butt. Basically if your head is up your sphincter a kick to the rear is the shortest rout to your brain.

Good luck.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Audacious, Please begin by reading all the FAQs, stickies, and select threads. Everyone who has earned the right has Ranger on his information. We do not take this lightly. Everyone has been vetted. In some cases, many of us have known each other for many years. Here we write in English and observe good language practice. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, yuou are at the right site; we take pride in the fine young Rangers who have passed throuh here on their life journey. Let me remind you that you are our guest -- don't abuse our hospitality.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Thank you Ranger Jim and Ranger Tough. I was actually looking through the site earlier about the mentor info. It seems like an awesome idea on the site. Where do I go about doing that?
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

You're already on the right track. The journey for you is about to begin. It will be like no other you could ever imagine and it will take time, perseverance, patience and self sacrifice.

You may find yourself falling down at times and coming up short, but that's ok. As long as you learn to pick yourself by the bootstraps, and keep going.

Many that have come before you have been exactly where you are right now. How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Welcome young Jedi.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Audacious wrote:Thank you Ranger Jim and Ranger Tough. I was actually looking through the site earlier about the mentor info. It seems like an awesome idea on the site. Where do I go about doing that?
The Mentor Forum is reserved for those who have already secured an Opt40 contract. Until you do, follow the advice given above.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Ranger centermass - Thanks for the words of wisdom, and knowing I'm a jedi is pretty awesome as well. Ranger cams, thanks for letting me know that! In about a year, like I said, is when I'll be requesting the Opt40, and I assume I won't be able to get it the first week I request it too.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Audacious wrote:Ranger centermass - Thanks for the words of wisdom, and knowing I'm a jedi is pretty awesome as well. Ranger cams, thanks for letting me know that! In about a year, like I said, is when I'll be requesting the Opt40, and I assume I won't be able to get it the first week I request it too.
I wouldn't call you a Jedi quite yet....more like Padawan. Welcome young stud. The course you've plotted for yourself is commendable, and as easy to acieve as following Ranger Jims advise.......just DON'T QUIT.......no matter how many times you feel like you're going to die! :o :)
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Ranger Slowpoke, could you define quit? I'm not sure that word is part of my vocabulary..
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Audacious wrote:Ranger Slowpoke, could you define quit? I'm not sure that word is part of my vocabulary..
Big words. I've seen absolute studs break faith with themselves and thier brothers and quit like a bitch. I've also seen the "90lb weakling" stand his ground in fight like the hero in a movie.

Less hubris. More humility.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:
Audacious wrote:Ranger Slowpoke, could you define quit? I'm not sure that word is part of my vocabulary..
Big words. I've seen absolute studs break faith with themselves and thier brothers and quit like a bitch. I've also seen the "90lb weakling" stand his ground in fight like the hero in a movie.

Less hubris. More humility.

Tough
There is a lot to be said for humility.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The best statement about a man is an understatement,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure RASP will be more than anything I handled, but I can guarantee you quitting isn't part of my vocabulary. Maybe I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but hey, not everyone loses a shoe at Cross Country states with a couple of rocks embedded in your skin and finish for your team.

To be honest, the only reason I have gained an ounce of confidence on graduating RASP when the time comes, is because I'm right here, learning from the best of the best, men that I hope to call fellow Rangers some day. Until then, I will absorb anything, and everything I can from you guys. The amount of information I've found just stalking topics that are out there has helped so much. I doubt I'll have to make another topic than this one, and the questions about the rucksack, until I inform everyone when I get the Opt40.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -Helen Keller.. Guess what, I turned my back from nothing, I'll be damned if I even turn my head and look back.

Return to “Introduction Archive”