Intro- USCG

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Tex89
USCG Veteran

Intro- USCG

Post by Tex89 »

First off, thanks to all the Military members on this site, Ranger or other, your service is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you read correctly I am currently serving in the United States Coast Guard and have been for 5 years serving in a Search and Rescue capacity .A bit about myself, I was born and raised in Texas. My father served as a Rescue Swimmer in the Navy so I spent a couple years in California before permanently residing in Texas. At 18 I had a choice to join the United States Army or the Coast Guard, at the time (foolishly I might add) I let my family and current girlfriend sway my interests toward the Coast Guard, A decision I have regretted for 5 years. I came in very optimistic ready to try my hand as a Rescue Swimmer, but the Coast Guard is not set up like every other service, we don't have a rate or MOS before we ship out. You graduate boot camp as a Non-rate either as a Seaman or Fireman. From there you do your time in the fleet and put your name on a "A" School list, and patiently wait till your time comes up. I waited over a year, shipped off to a prereq Airman program, and towards the last week of the program shattered my wrist. Needless to say I was out of the program indefinitely and sent back to the fleet. After two years of trying to get myself back into the program I met some guys through Crossfit who had been through Ranger school and served in the 75th regiment. I was enamored by stories they had (don't worry nothing violating OPSEC) mostly about the intense training and intense brotherhood that came with being a Ranger. From that moment on I knew I needed to do whatever it took to try out for this brotherhood. For two years I have read books, talked to whoever I could about the RASP and option 40 contracts. By no means am I an expert in this area which is why when I stumbled across this site I knew I would be able to get the help I needed as far as transitioning into the Army. My enlistment is up with the Coast Guard next year but I have been looking into what's called a Conditional Release from service (DD-368). Basically it's a transfer from one service to another. I did not indent for this post to be this long, I am a fast typer with a lot of free time right now.

I will mostly be soaking up as much info as I can from previous posts, from what I've searched already this site has a wealth of knowledge. Im fairly sure in saying that I am probably the only Coastie to be on these boards and I realize a lot of people will have no knowledge to my particular questions but any knowledge is good knowledge. Thank y'all!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro- USCG

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Tex89.

& no, you are not the 1st Coastie to come here.
Forgive me as I only have "USCG Veteran" to use as your title.
We have done house cleaning shedding many titles.

I was at Ft Wadsworth (USCG) gym this AM - I see you Coasties all the time.

There is plenty to read in Recruiters and Schools Q & A forums.
Look for info on prior service & Opt 40.

Thank you for your service to our country Tex89.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Tex89
USCG Veteran

Post by Tex89 »

Thanks for the welcome Steadfast, no worries on the title as I will be one soon enough. Im interested if any of those Coasties went through RASP, hopefully they can post a reply or shoot me a PM. I have a few acquaintances that are at the Sector on that base they seem to like it. I look forward learning from this site, thanks again.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Here's the last coastie that came here:

Subject: Intro- Richard
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Intro- USCG

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, USCG.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Tex89,

My wife is with PSU-313 I've trained plenty of Coasties and worked out of few stations. Welcome.

If your goal is to be a Ranger then you need to first check the stickies and research proper behavior towards Rangers on this board (namely how they are addressed).

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.

Return to “Introduction Archive”