Introduction - Will

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

wb90
Future Soldier

Introduction - Will

Post by wb90 »

Hello Rangers, my name is Will. I'm 22 years old and back in March I signed an 11x contract with a ship date of September 4th, 2012.

I've been a lurker of this website for over a year and signed up a couple months back after I signed my contract. My initial intentions were to follow your advice of only signing an 11x opt 40 but with none on the horizon and the earliest ship date September I decided to go ahead and sign without the Opt 40. My recruiter tells me I will have plenty of opportunities to volunteer for Airborne and RASP once I get to Benning. I've read over your site before and I plan to check it daily until I ship. I want to thank everyone that has been a part of this site for the effort they put forth in helping people like myself achieve their goals, it's the greatest resource I have found online.

I weight train 5 days a week and have been since January. I started with heavy barbell training and switched over to a routine that resembles MilitaryAthelete.com's Operator Sessions. I've been skinny all my life and a goal of mine was to gain a bit of muscle / weight before Basic and I've reached that goal at 5'11 170-175lbs. I ran maybe 2-6 miles a week during this period which didn't help me improve only kept me in the game. Recently I've shifted my focus to APFT improvement and have been following MilitaryAthlete.com's APFT Plan. Weightlifting in the morning, APFT improvement in the evening. This coming week I intend to go light on the weight training and focus on my APFT improvement then perform an APFT the following Monday.

My last known APFT results would be around:

2 mile: 13:50
Push-up: 62
Sit-up: 55

I'm very excited to continue the APFT plan and continue learning from your site.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Will

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Will. What have you been doing since high school?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Introduction - Will

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Will.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Welcome to the site! The weight training in my opinion really won't help a lot in maxing your APFT. Run a lot. When you're tired of running, run more. You ever have those days where you run till you throw up? That's when you know you're pushing your body where it needs to be. Take a new PT test and let us know the results.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
wb90
Future Soldier

Post by wb90 »

Jim wrote:Welcome, Will. What have you been doing since high school?
Ranger Jim,

After High school I attended Tennessee Tech University and was able to declare my major as Computer Science during my first semester. I knocked out most of my general ed classes during high school so I jumped straight into the 'good stuff'. After 4 semesters I decided on enlisting in the Army.

rgrking wrote:Welcome to the site! The weight training in my opinion really won't help a lot in maxing your APFT. Run a lot. When you're tired of running, run more. You ever have those days where you run till you throw up? That's when you know you're pushing your body where it needs to be. Take a new PT test and let us know the results.
Ranger rgrking,

Thank you for the insight. I agree with you. After 2-3 months of minimal running and lots of weight training my APFT scores didn't improve a lot. I have a lot of time to devote to PT the next 3 months before I ship and I'm going to put an emphasis on improving my APFT score. Following my APFT Plan I'm due for an APFT Test in 10 days. If you prefer one sooner I'll make it happen.

Thanks for the welcome Rangers,

- Will
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Sooner the better. Waiting a week is a week you're not being prepared.

Here is a program for training for RASP.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... 0Plan2.pdf
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
wb90
Future Soldier

Post by wb90 »

rgrking wrote:Sooner the better. Waiting a week is a week you're not being prepared.

Here is a program for training for RASP.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... 0Plan2.pdf
Thanks for the link Ranger Rgrking.

Latest APFT
Push-up: 67
Sit-up: 53
2 Mile: 14:04

Return to “Introduction Archive”