Maj. Dick Winters will be memorialized in Normandy

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RangerX
Ranger

Maj. Dick Winters will be memorialized in Normandy

Post by RangerX »

On the main road to Sainte Marie-du-Mont in Normandy, the steeple of the 11th-century church — once a shield for enemy snipers — rises high above the village. The confessional and the glass case that encases a statue of the Virgin bear bullet holes, remnants of the fierce fighting 68 years ago. The flagpole at Brecourt Manor is off to one direction, to the other Carentan —Nazi German stronghold landmarks, objectives for the Allies. And approximately three miles away, the expanse of Utah Beach summons the images in historic black-and-white footage of the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944.

Maj. Dick Winters — then a lieutenant — sealed his place in history among this bucolic landscape of dairy farms.

Full story
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Maj. Dick Winters will be memorialized in Normandy

Post by Jim »

The county historical society honors him -- as well they should.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
redcon1
Ranger

Re: Maj. Dick Winters will be memorialized in Normandy

Post by redcon1 »

The 13-year old kid cited in the article, Jordan Brown, is the son of a family friend. He was 11 when he started selling the 'Hang Tough' wristbands at community events... he has now raised over $100K to support the memorial for Winters.

The kid blows me away... the fact he sees the sacrifice of Winters and others in WWII and wants to honor that is unbelievable. He started the fundraising project after watching 'Band of Brothers' and even though he lived local to Winters, he never actually got to meet him. He is super excited to be going to Normandy with his Mom to be part of the unveiling ceremonly
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"

Return to “The News Dump”