Introduction - Shawn

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Indy
Egg

Introduction - Shawn

Post by Indy »

Rangers,

My name is Shawn and I am currently a 16 year old sophomore in high school. Over the past couple years, my interested has grown in serving in the United States Army. As I continued my research, I grew even more interested in serving as a Ranger in the 75th. I also have a very strong interest in law enforcement, and I have ridden along with a local University PD several times within the past year. The university I'm planning on attending has a cadet program whereas a student can work with the university police department and get sent to the academy, so I can become a sworn state certified police officer. I lost interest in serving as an enlisted soldier based off my conversations with current and former AD soldiers who have told me to take the officer route. I did research on ROTC and both the University PD and ROTC departments have told me I could do both the cadet program and ROTC. I found this forum a long time ago and I have learned alot from my research.

Regardless of the branch I receieve, I want to attend Ranger school and earn the Ranger tab. At this time I do not have a desire to serve in the 75th. For now though, I am focusing on school and getting accepted into the college I wish to attend. I am here to learn, I thank you all for your service and for taking the time to assist those of us who wish to accomplish what you've already done.

Apologies for the long introduction, but thank you for your time.

Take care and be safe Rangers.
Indy
Egg

Re: Introduction - Shawn

Post by Indy »

Ranger ZoneIV, thank you for the welcome and for addressing my post.

The soldiers who advised me to become an Officer were not Rangers. One was an MP who attended Ranger School and washed out for reasons unknown to me, and the others were infantrymen. The MP told me a little bit about the life of an Officer, and he has informed me of the route to become an Officer. He was not an Officer however.

Ranger School is something I have a strong interest in, but it is not my top priority. I should have made it clear in my original post that my main goal in the Army is to gain and build upon leadership skills I can use in law enforcement.

As for it being very competitive to be assigned to active duty, I actually prefer that. I was always under the impression that it's more competitive to serve in the National Guard or Reserves after commissioned..good news for me since while the minimum contract to serve as an Officer is 3 years, after those three years I would have to attend a certain school to retain my law enforcement certifications; and that's if I get hired by another LE agency within a one year time period or I have to attend the whole academy all over again.

Thank you for the reply Ranger ZoneIV, I appreciate it.
Indy
Egg

Post by Indy »

Thank you,

I think I'll have to re-evaluate my plans with the Army and re-consider ROTC.

Thanks again Ranger ZoneIV.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Shawn, I was a Staff Sergeant who went to OCS. I was placed in the same year group of all the USMA and ROTC Lieutenants commissioned that year. I found my prior service usually worked to my advantage. Commanders were impressed with my mature style of leadership. I led a rifle, anti-tank, and support platoons, commanded two companies, and a battalion. I was selected to attend the Army War College. Serving a few years enlisted service is a great way to mature. However, it's your decision and your life, do the research for yourself. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”