Lower back pain?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
goose21
Embryo

Lower back pain?

Post by goose21 »

Hey Rangers, I've been training lately and every time I go running my lower back stiffens up. I usually push through it but it feels like it's not muscle related. I try stretching before and after to loosen it up. Someone said it could be my running form, that is putting pressure on my back,but I can't see that being it. Has this happen to any of you? I'm waiting to see a Doctor but I have to wait to get my insurance plan.
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Lower back pain?

Post by colt1rgr »

Well I'm not a Doctor, haven't played one on TV and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night BUT I can tell you exactly what it is .......................................

Its your Hip Flexors. They get overtight and it transfers pain to your lower back. BTDT! Lotsa running coupled with improper stretching of hip flexors will cause this in a hurry. Their being so tight may be caused by the way you run, but thats more than likely the cause of the pain. Some really good stretches on the internet for tight hip flexors. Do some research, some good stretching and if this don't alleviate the situation then "it really is time to see a Doc" before ya screw something up! :wink:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
goose21
Embryo

Post by goose21 »

Thank you Ranger colt1rgr
PFC.One3Fister
Inprocessing

Post by PFC.One3Fister »

A common issue with lower back pain after running is the type of running shoes you have. Everyone's feet are different and need a certain type of support. I'm not sure what kind you have, but the standard run of the mill shoes arnt for those who run constantly, they are made for those civilians who sit behind a desk and walk/jog on the weekends or on their lunch break from work. My advice would be going to a specialty running shoe store (ie. Fleetfeet or what ever you have locally) and asking the sales person what shoe would be best for your type of arch and foot. They will just ask you to remove your shoes and socks and walk in a straight line to assess the situation and get you the exact type of shoe you need (so wash your feet and clip your toe nails before you go, hahaha!). A good pair of shoes will run you between $85-150 and a good rule of thumb is to replace them every 6 months or approx. 500 miles, which ever comes first. My feet are how I make my money, if they don't work then I don't work.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”