Introduction - Nick

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Chain
Ranger

Introduction - Nick

Post by Chain »

Hello, my name is Nick. I am 18, from Florida, and am currently a senior in high-school. I am an Eagle Scout, and an avid runner; participating on my school's Track and Cross Country programs. I've had a fervent desire to serve in the military for nearly the past 10 years, and began researching Rangers a few years back. I have been accepted into a 4-year University, but am unsure whether I want to pursue my degree, or pursue enlisting with the hope of securing an 11x Opt. 40 contract first.

As a runner on my team’s distance squad, I am responsible for following the physical training program set-out by our coach, and thus I have not formally self-administered a physical fitness test all at once. I have completed the following sections of the test over the past 2 days, with the push-ups and sit-ups being conducted today upon the completion of our workout:
2-2-2
Push-Ups: 97
Sit-ups: 84
2 Mile Run: 11:16
Due to our training routine, I have not yet had a chance to test my time for a 5mi run in under 40 minutes; the closest opportunity I've had to test that specific distance/time was on a 6mi run completed last week at 39:29.

Thank you for your service, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to learn more as a member of this site.

--Nick
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Nick

Post by Jim »

Nick, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores are impressive. Excellent start point. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the sie, Nick.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Sorry for the typo . . .anyway, Welcome to the site, Nick.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Nick, welcome here young man! As Ranger Jim said, those are some impressive PT scores ya got going. You say you have been accepted into a four year university so my question is...... is there a scholarship involved OR is that footing the bill on your own? I ask because I wish to offer some advice here and would hate to steer you wrong. That being said. You get a chance to go to school for free or nearly free I highly encourage you to do so. If the Army and our beloved Ranger Regiment is still there after you graduate you will be 22. Thats the same age I was when I went in (after stint in Army Reserve :roll: ). You may go in the Army and decide "this aint for me" but that education will last a lifetime.

On the other hand, if its a "pay as you go" plan OR the old "rack up college debt" plan that will make your life miserable for years to come................ take the Army, get the college money. Either way, if ya stay in or four and out you can always go to school. Either way, sounds like your head is screwed on right and our boys will always be able to use you! All the VERY BEST STUD! 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Chain
Ranger

Post by Chain »

Thank you for welcomes, Rangers.
While I feel my PT scores are currently satisfactory, I know I can improve further, and will continue to train to do so... I have my eyes set on achieving 100 push-ups in 2 minutes.

Thank you Ranger colt1rgr,
Should I attend college first, it will come out of savings and through student loans. I share your opinion that a college education will have positive repercussions throughout the rest my life- but I am also not particularly fond of the idea of graduating with student loans looming as I enlist in the military. I am not set on which path I feel will be the best idea to take first- but regardless of whether I choose to serve in the military first, I still hold aspirations to attend college at some point in my life.

--Nick
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Chain wrote:Thank you for welcomes, Rangers.
While I feel my PT scores are currently satisfactory, I know I can improve further, and will continue to train to do so... I have my eyes set on achieving 100 push-ups in 2 minutes.

Thank you Ranger colt1rgr,
Should I attend college first, it will come out of savings and through student loans. I share your opinion that a college education will have positive repercussions throughout the rest my life- but I am also not particularly fond of the idea of graduating with student loans looming as I enlist in the military. I am not set on which path I feel will be the best idea to take first- but regardless of whether I choose to serve in the military first, I still hold aspirations to attend college at some point in my life.

--Nick

Good man! :wink:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Chain
Ranger

Post by Chain »

Rangers,
It has been just over four months since I have introduced myself, and would like very much to present my current SITREP.

I received another acceptance letter in late March for a four year attendance at Penn State: a surprising opportunity that I never expected to be presented with. After painstakingly weighing my new opportunity with my previous concerns regarding cost (no scholarships awarded) coupled with my desire to have the experience to serve (first), I decided to pursue my education at Penn State; I am currently enrolled and am working through my first summer semester. My justification for attending college first was that college, while it is of course an institution in order to benefit yourself intellectually, I viewed it as a chance for me to physically mature, and to prepare myself mentally for the lifestyle I so aspire to achieve. I speak with the upmost humility when I confess I did not feel I was in the condition capable enough to serve alongside such studs; professionals; Rangers. Therefore, I will work these four years toward the goal of pushing myself to succeed both academically and physically to a level I can hope will assist me in my path toward achieving my aspirations.

I plan to stay active throughout college in activities that I'm not only interested in, but will ensure my mind remains firmly fixed on never quitting. To name a few: I now run with our University Club XC team, and plan to continue for the rest of my time at the University. I am enrolled in ROTC classes for the fall, but plan to only take two years’ worth of classes, because I do not feel contracting in ROTC is the path that fits me... I have completed a GoRuck challenge (class 172), and intend to work toward completing more of GoRuck's events.

Thank you, Rangers, for maintaining this website and allowing those like myself who yearn to seek information about your Regiment a place to absorb what we can to benefit ourselves for the future.

--Nick
Chain
Ranger

Post by Chain »

Rangers,

I am approaching one year since I last gave a SITREP on this forum...and I would like to send an up-to-date SITREP.
I have brushed up on the standards I am required to adhere to... though if I fail to meet the standard in regards to rules, regulations and/or standard operating procedures: please correct me.

I am now 19 and have completed my first three semesters at Penn State: a 6 week summer semester, and the standard fall and spring semesters. I feel that for me personally, I made the correct decision. It has granted me an opportunity to meet and work alongside some of the brightest and most dedicated guys I have met thus far in my life. Grade wise: I am currently at a cumulative 2.0 GPA... more on this later. I was not the best student in high school, but am trying to fight off bad habits I developed in the past. I have convinced myself that I will not accept anything less than a degree: no matter what happens (anything less is a quitter's mentality). I went to college, and it is now my responsibility to give 100% and then some toward my current job: a student. I am embarrassed where I am, but will not hide anything.

I took the advice of a Ranger on this forum, who's name escapes me right now...and I was unable to find his name through the search feature: But I am enrolled in Army ROTC classes at Penn State but do not plan to commission... so I'm soaking up what information I can in these two years. I still intend to sign an 11X Opt. 40 contract sometime between the Spring of my junior year and the Fall of my Senior year, Ceteris paribus.

I was afforded the ability to train with our Ranger Challenge team this past year, and this was a fantastic experience. In short, it has been extremely humbling: though I ran alongside a fantastic Cross Country and Track Team... I was never afforded an opportunity to see even a glimpse of what The Army was like (even if it is just ROTC). It really taught me that I don't know jack...and it's prompted me to take part again next year. I personally was not on the Ranger Challenge team so I take no credit for their accomplishment this past year: But they placed 2nd in the Sandhurst at West Point. It was quite a privilege to train alongside them.

My last cadre run APFT score (circa the first week of May) is as follows:
PU: 101
SU: 76
2mi: 12:29

I do not wish to sugar coat that PT score: I was and still remain quite disappointed in myself that I was unable to bust out just 3 more reps in order to meet the standard of 300. "You can do 3 reps of anything..." My run time, though still in the 100+ range, has decreased and this is not okay with me. No Excuses.

I have found a solid group of friends that really look out for each other. If I may offer a piece of advice for any college bound readers of this post: GET YOURSELF A BUDDY. Find a friend- a squared away friend- You watch his back, and he'll watch yours. I'm not talking a wingman so you can go out and break the law by drinking under age your underclassmen years... I'm talking a guy, who is going to keep you accountable to doing your work; as you keep him accountable for doing his. I did not take advantage of this first semester and I suffered because of it. In high school, I was the quiet kid in the back of the class with other things on his mind than school work; I never even considered finding someone that I could be a buddy with. It's an invaluable asset. Don't take this as an opportunity to be a Blue Falcon and cheat off him, or use him in any way... You are there for him as much as he is there for you.

Continuing on the above stated, we have signed up for a few events at this point: We competed in the 28th ID's March For the Fallen (killer. Can't wait to attend next year. Massive props to the other Penn State guys...http://www.flickr.com/photos/panational ... 691194396/), and we're signed up for the Army 10 Miler this October.

I think about the standards I'm required to live up to often, and I am trying my best to live the Ranger creed in my day to day life. I am working over this summer to pay for room and board for next year, among other things, and I will admit that if I need to pass the time? Recite the Ranger Creed...again...and again. Not only the repetition of it, but in hopes to consult it to keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight in every aspect of my life.

I hope this update has not been too lengthy. I consider this forum thread almost a soliloquy if you will... Something that I can always refer back to as a point of guidance in my aspiration to work hard and serve as a Ranger: representing those who move further, faster, and fight harder than any other soldier.

SITREPs to follow.
Nothing else to report at this time.

Thank you,
--Nick
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Nick. Keep up those grades, and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Nick, another month has come and gone. How are you progressing?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

,,,and?
Chain
Ranger

Post by Chain »

My apologies Ranger Jim, I did not see your posts. I just pushed out 50 +1 for each of your posts that I did not respond to- on the grounds that I neither guarded the limits of my post to the standard nor did I follow my special orders to the standard by responding to you. You took your time to acknowledge my progression, and I thank you for that.

There's been a FRAGO:
Today, 13JAN2014 at 1430, I swore into the Army under my 11X Opt.40 Contract.
Ship Date: 25MAR2014
OSUT and BAT dates are also locked in; RASP in the fall.

Last formal PT test results (administered by the NCO's and officers of Penn State ROTC):

PU: 103
SU: 87
2mi: 12:51
Height: 66.5"
Weight: 151lbs

I would be happy to PM you if you would like further information, Ranger Jim.
I have changed my avatar to one of the DEP images... let me know if I am out of regs in any way, so that I may correct my deficiencies.

--Nick
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good deal, getting an Option 40 is not easy at this time. You have a good PT baseline, so you should do well. Keep an eye out for a PM from Ranger Steadfast and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Chain
Ranger

Post by Chain »

Roger, Ranger Jim. PM from Ranger Steadfast received and I'm squaring myself away.

I have to give credit to the State College, PA area recruiters... I went in with a strong mindset and tried to impart to them that I would only accept an 11X Opt.40, expecting them to try and give me the work around ("well you could always go Ranger later," or "just volunteer in OSUT..." both of which I knew would be dubious at best). To my surprise, they didn't BS around, they got me my contract within 1 month of me showing up at the recruiting station, and I genuinely felt that they were interested in my success. They helped give me recommendations on how to improve my ASVAB scores (ended up with a 97 AFQT and a 135 GT, which I am very proud of), and were with me every step of the way. Great group of NCO's, and I'd recommend them to any Ranger hopefuls in Centre County, PA.

Conducted a 5mi run baseline today.

5mi: 36:33. Plenty of room for improvement.

--Nick

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”