Warrior Dash

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jake-the-Snake
Ranger

Warrior Dash

Post by Jake-the-Snake »

Just curious, but is there anyone on this site doing the Warrior Dash, March 17, in East Texas? Also is there anyone who has previously participated in the race who would like to share some advice? Thanks
"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the 1, 1 is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
Jake-the-Snake
Ranger

Re: Warrior Dash

Post by Jake-the-Snake »

Those are some very good points that I didnt think all the way threw. And yes I agree that the term Warrior gets thrown around to the point were people do not understand the real meaning of the word. And Ranger ZoneIV, I know this is off topic but why is it that the SEAL teams have gotten to be such a big part of Hollywood when the other SOF units remain unspoke of?
"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the 1, 1 is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jake-the-Snake wrote: I know this is off topic but why is it that the SEAL teams have gotten to be such a big part of Hollywood when the other SOF units remain unspoke of?
Because the Seals actively seek publicity. ARSOF prefers to be "quiet professionals." Note that in most cases the Seals fly to the target on Army helicopters.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Warrior Dash

Post by IEDmagnet »

Tough Mudder is fun. I'm running one in October in SC with a couple of other Para's.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Jim wrote:
Jake-the-Snake wrote: I know this is off topic but why is it that the SEAL teams have gotten to be such a big part of Hollywood when the other SOF units remain unspoke of?
Because the Seals actively seek publicity. ARSOF prefers to be "quiet professionals." Note that in most cases the Seals fly to the target on Army helicopters.
I'd venture to say that the SEALs need more publicity than Army Special Forces to meet recruitment and replacement goals. While some of the SEAL program recruits do come from the Marine Corps, the Navy really doesn't have the same sort of stepping-stone options that the Army has to get to Special Forces. With the exception of the USMC recruits, recruits for the SEALs pretty much have to "dive off the deep end" (pun intended) with no prior tactical experience, while a recruit for Army Special Forces might well be an experienced infantryman or scout who is looking for a new challenge when he re-enlists.
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

I ran it last year up here in MI. in July. From my perspective it was a fun run/obstacle course. I had a great time and finished inside the top 10 percent.

Pointers.. Dont be stupid. Follow the directions, regardless of what anyone encourages you to do. Last year, At the last mud pit near the finish line they had a big ass sign that said NO DIVING. Jackwagon commentator on a loud speaker at the pit encouraged some dude to Dive and he did. Right into a shallow mud puddle. Fairly certain he is now paralyzed. It was all over the local news after.

Drink lots of water and be hydrated before you start. Due to the heat last year it was hot as hell by 10 am on the trail. Folks were falling out all over the place.

Wear shoes you can throw away or lose (seriously, folks lost shoes in the mud during the run, your shoes hold your time keeper so if you lose a shoe with the TK you are SOL. I recommend a lightweight, laceable low ankle Boot/high top, like a pair of old Merrils or something. This is what I did. I rotate into new boots(Merrils) every year, so I just saved the old pair for the run.

Will it help you in your effort to join the Army and achieve the Tan beret? Most likely NO. But it will be a good "test run" if you will. It will test your intenstinal fortitude and will to finish.

So ..be smart, have fun and stay safe. And remember Rangers Lead the Way.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA

Return to “The Mosh Pit”