Introduction- Mike

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

MacWheels11
Egg

Introduction- Mike

Post by MacWheels11 »

Hi, my name is Mike, I am 16 years old and currently a junior in high school. It is my dream to become a Ranger as I wish to serve my country in the best way possible, and to have an adventure along the way. Also my dad served in the 82nd Airborne and went to Grenada and has great admiration for the Rangers. He is very supportive of my decision because he has the utmost repect for Rangers. I appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the Rangers on this site, and I am looking forward to pursuing my career. Thank you.
MacWheels11
Egg

Re: Introduction- Mike

Post by MacWheels11 »

Hello Rangers,
I now look at my introduction post and I realize just how naive it looks so I would like to apologize I feel like I probably received lots of shaking heads. I am now 17 and I am seriously considering my options in the Army, and I'd like to think I have improved from my last post. I have so much admiration and respect for the service to your country all of you Rangers on this site have done, and it must be disappointing to see little naive 16 year olds on here wasting your time.

So at this point I will be entering my senior year of high school in September, and I am still unsure about whether I want to go the officer path or enlisted. I have been reading many posts on here about officer paths into the Regiment and the near-impossibility of achieving them. A large factor in my decision-making is how I'm going to pay for college, so I believe I am going to fill out an application for the ROTC scholarship, hopefully to be an infantry officer, and see how much help I can receive from that.

My other option is the one I am really leaning towards at this point, as it will provide the best shot at becoming a Ranger from what I've read here. And I don't take that process lightly, I can only imagine how difficult it will be, and I'm willing to give it all I have. This option is doing reserves during college to get a bit of experience as well as help with the cost of college, and then going active duty after, enlisting with an option 40 contract.

As I mentioned in my introduction, my father was an infantryman in the 82nd. While he supports my desire to be a Ranger, he recommends I go the officer route as he said he would have done that given a second opportunity. If I do end up as an officer like he recommends, I would like to pursue the 82nd or 101st if it is not possible to get a shot at the Ranger Regiment.

Any advice or criticism will be greatly appreciated, and again thank you to all the Rangers who have served.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome back MacWheels11.

There is plenty posted on here about others who had the same thoughts as you. Use the search feature to find the various topics.

Tell your Dad I said thanks for his service to our country.
I also was an Infantryman with the 82nd right out of Jump School. We (4th Brigade) took over the 3rd Brigade's Barracks while they were in Vietnam.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
MacWheels11
Egg

Post by MacWheels11 »

Thank you Ranger Steadfast,
I will definitely be doing a lot of reading on the subject. I'm not sure where in the 82nd my dad was, but he was a PFC in Grenada, retired as a Sergeant. Again thank you for your service and to all the Rangers on this site for theirs and the valuable information available here.

Return to “Introduction Archive”