Looking For a Mentor

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Looking For a Mentor

Post by Disinfertention »

You may want a mentor, but that isn't me. Sounds more like you have a specific question or scenario in regards to PT... what is it?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

what's your MOS and what are you wanting to do in Regiment? As for the recruiters, your best chance at getting ahold of them will probably be after Xmas.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

The Regiment is always looking for support guys, they are in demand.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

what's your rank? have you tried these two numbers yet?
POSITION / LOCATION Name DSN 983-XXXX COMM (502) 613-XXXX
75TH RANGER RGT LNO SFC KEVIN McLELLAN 5685
75TH RANGER RGT ASSIGNMENT MANAGER MS. CHRISTINA BARTRUFF 5689
i copied them right off the HRC website under careers, special operations forces.
i can't speak for SFC McLellan as i don't know him but i can tell you Ms. Bartruff has worked there for years (she handled my packet back in 2004). she's pretty reliable. you can email them directly off the website. i'd copy and paste their email address into your ako mail box and then request a receipt when viewed. that way you can at least see when they opened up the email.
beyond that, what other information are you looking for? seems like you got the PT thing down already.
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

ok, so as a SPC you shouldn't have any issues going to Regt. contact ms bartruff and see what happens. you've been in the army more than a day, you know that around the holidays emails and phone messages somehow get "lost" and afterwards they get "found". i'm going through those troubles myself with DTS. so anyways, life in battalion for a supply guy....i'm only going off what i've seen our supply guys do (and 5 years removed as well) so dont quote me but....days are pretty much the same in the rear. inventory, issuing equipment, morning PT, etc. the big thing comes with the increased ability to go to Ranger school. most supply guys 1-dont want to and 2-will never have the opportunity to go. when it comes to deployments be prepared to order just about everything as the platoons will ask for and expect all kinds of wazoo shit you may or may not have been exposed to (i know we asked for everything from blackhawk gear to suppliments to microwaves, plasma screen tv's, beds, you name it...got about half of it). you do have the opportunity to move onto some other units within the Regt and other "cool guy" schools but those slots are few and hard to get. as for the potential to go on missions, typically only if shit really hits the fan (i.e. mogadishu all over again). i've never seen a supply guy outside the wire except for occasionally in SF getting a squared away supply dude the team will take him out on easy missions as a way of saying "thanks for the help". beyond that i dont know what else to tell you. oh yea, study what used to be called 7-8 (now 3-21.20.2.0.3.65.95....or whatever the hell they changed it to) the infantry rifle squad and platoon handbook and the Ranger handbook as far as knowledge for Ranger school and focus on learning as much about your job as you can. that's the big take away about Regt....everyone is an expert (or as close as they can become) in their jobs.
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

To add to whocares175's post, I think one of the coolest things about being a supply guy in batt. as opposed to the rest of the army, is the budget you have. You will have more money to spend than you know what to do with. literally. I remember our XO telling the supply guys one day that they weren't going home that day until they figured out what to spend 30,000 dollars on that was excess in the budget. And that was in garrison...nevermind the money on deployments....

I also have never seen a supply guy go out on a mission, although I have heard of them going out as drivers and gunners to free up guys on the line squads in other platoons. You will still get to do a lot of cool stuff that you would never get to do as a supply guy in the big army. You still have to do jumps, you may do water jumps or get foreign jump wings if there is room on the manifest. You still have to do FRIES qualifications. You will have an assigned rifle that has nicer stuff than most infantry guys get in the army. You will even have an assigned pistol. You will go to the range, although not as much as the line platoons. You will get the chance to get explosive breacher certified, RFR certified, combatives certified, among other things.

As long as you remember that you are a supply guy, and that you need to be good at that job before you need to be good at clearing rooms, you will do great. Being solid at PT and looking out for "the boys" will take you a LONG way as a supply guy.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”