Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

manders
Embryo

Introduction

Post by manders »

Hello,

My name is Mike. I am 25 years old, I am from Southeastern Wisconsin, and a recent college graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I graduated with a degree in Sociology and a minor in Spanish. I took my ASVAB today, and I scored a 75 on AFQT and a 108 on GT. Somewhat disappointed with myself that I did not study, but I have to live with my decision. My recruiter said I should not worry about not getting Option 40 in my contract, and even told me that If I don't he owes me lunch. As for my point of view I am less optimistic with my current scores. Thanks for putting up a great site, I have already accessed it for information. Also thanks for reading my introduction!

Mike.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Mike.

Its better to have the Opt 40 in your contract, settling for a lunch he will never pay for - will help you lose twice.

A good idea is to research others who have run into the same problem.
Go to: Recruiters and Schools - Q&A
Read everything & pay attention to: About Army Physical Training
There are some great posts to help you get up to where you should be physically.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
manders
Embryo

Post by manders »

I will do that. Yeah, I was kind of confused when he told me that too, how confident can a recruiter be...and why? Thanks for your help. I will update next week when I go back to MEPS.

Mike.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Mike.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Get an option 40 and I will consider whether I should take you on as a mentee.

Few, very few, young men from Wisconsin attempt to become Rangers.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lefty wrote:Get an option 40 and I will consider whether I should take you on as a mentee.

Few, very few, young men from Wisconsin attempt to become Rangers.
Mike, this is an offer you should take. Ranger Lefty is one of the brightest guys on the site.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
manders
Embryo

Post by manders »

I would not let an opportunity like that pass away. Thank you for that. I wonder why very few people from Wisconsin attempt to be Rangers? How may I ask that you know this?

Mike.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Your score is more than sufficient to get an Opt. 40 contract. And your recruiter wouldn't pay for lunch anyway, USAREC reimburses recruiters for those expenses. Assuming you are otherwise qualified for one, there is no reason he cannot get you one within the next 5 weeks.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

manders wrote:I would not let an opportunity like that pass away. Thank you for that. I wonder why very few people from Wisconsin attempt to be Rangers? How may I ask that you know this?

Mike.
People do not realize how small the Ranger community is - my evidence is purely anecdotal.

Do not PM me or communicate until you have an Option 40.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
manders
Embryo

Post by manders »

Ranger Lefty,

A quick update to my situation. I signed an 18x contract DEC152011, My ship date is JUN042012 Fort Benning Georgia. I am going to contact my recruiter Thursday to talk about renegotiating my contract with option 40. Whatever the case, I am excited and proud to be able to soon serve my country and I will work my tail off no matter what I do. Thanks again for the website/information.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Good luck with that.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
jester
Ranger

Post by jester »

when i enlisted they gave away 18x contracts like candy, and opt.40 they gave me a hard time about it. I wonder why that is?
2/75 Cco 2-3 Outlaws 2005-2009
RGR Class 07-07
Stay alert stay alive
manders
Embryo

Post by manders »

Ranger Jester,
I am not sure. Maybe because it is a way for enlisted men to get into the infantry whether or not they get selected at SFAS. And if they wash out, when they report to a conventional unit, they have a better understanding about themselves, the Army, physical fitness, etc... If you don't mind me asking, how long did you wait to enlist before an Option 40 contract became available? Was it due more in part to your persistence in hounding your recruiter/MEPS, or was it just simply when the cycle renewed and new contracts became available?
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

When Ranger Jester enlisted the Army was not going through a RIF, rather they were taking every warm body they could get for Iraq.

It would have been a better COA for you to take an MOS that Regiment takes, so that you could just get a slot while in AIT or Airborne, but last time I checked we didn't have any 18 series guys in Regiment.

SF is by no means a bad place to go, but if you want to be a Ranger you took the wrong contract.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
jester
Ranger

Post by jester »

I followed my cousins info(Ranger Mandog) when i was sighning up out of highschool he told me to go to meps and ask for a option 40 and when they tell me their is no option 40's left which is what they said, then they told me about these other shitty army jobs to tell them that i dont want to join the army if i dont have an option 40. I did what he said and they sent me to sit on the couch and 5 minutes later my recruiter said " oh shit man hey one just popped up you can take it". Thats what i did, theirs always option 40's but they just say that i would guess so you can do the jobs they want to fill the needs of the army.
2/75 Cco 2-3 Outlaws 2005-2009
RGR Class 07-07
Stay alert stay alive

Return to “Introduction Archive”