Weapons cleaning questions for the gunsmiths on the board

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
RangerX
Ranger

Weapons cleaning questions for the gunsmiths on the board

Post by RangerX »

So I am at the range the other day, and a guy I am talking while cleaning proceeds to pull a drill out of his range bag. I watch him chock up a cleaning rod section with a copper brush on it followed by spraying the brush with cleaning solution. He then proceeds to "drill" the brush back & forth through the bore. The stuff that came out of the barrel was impressive, and I took a look and it was like polished glass when he was done.

He then proceeds to tell me he uses brake cleaner to do a lot of cleaning tasks, as long as it doesn't touch stock materials (wood/plastic/resin/etc.).

This is on a pistol by the way.

So, is this a fast way to fuck up a gun, or is there any merit to this? The drill was the most intriguing part, as it took him about 30 seconds to get a spotless barrel.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Re: Weapons cleaning questions for the gunsmiths on the boar

Post by C-MAC »

Many guys I know use brake cleaner since it is cheaper than some other solvents. But you need to be extremely careful. It should not be used on polymers, can damage rubber, can remove paint on sights and sometimes damages the bluing. That said, from what I have seen it seems to work pretty well provided it is non-chlorinated/non-MEP- which I don't believe is a problem with recent manufactured products.

Ditto the drill, although some gun owners feel it damages the bore and may cause excessive wear if used improperly. Part of the rub, so to speak, is the drill can potentially be used in a way which unevenly applies pressure to different parts of the bore. In theory, that creates uneven wear/potentially marking. Also, if overused it can also prematurely wear the inside of the barrel. Again, this is theoretically. I have never seen it happen.

I can't vouch for the complete brake-cleaner-drill method since I probably clean my guns the same way Teddy Roosevelt did. But it seems like if done properly and not to excess it is a relatively sound method.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I know several who use brake parts cleaner and I have used it myself on my carbines. The drill seems a little over kill :? Of course brake parts cleaner can have some safety issues under the right circumstances : Article
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I am under the impression that some carbon is good for your gun
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I know several who use brake parts cleaner and I have used it myself on my carbines. The drill seems a little over kill :? Of course brake parts cleaner can have some safety issues under the right circumstances : Article
To hell with brake cleaner. I want one of those fancy hats like the one in your avatar. :lol:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
VIPER--00
Ranger

Post by VIPER--00 »

I have done the drill rod thing on guns that the Army owns. None of my own. lol
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

This reminds me... I've been trying to find that stuff the Pastor used to clean the pistols at the Ranch. It came in a can and sprayed out foamy and pink. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it, but the shit was awesome!! To be honest, I haven't had to clean or lube the pistol in the three some months since I cleaned it at the Ranch. Just wipe it down and done. If anybody can help a brother out, it'd be appreciated.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

It is not just the bore that the drill method can damage. The rifling is the main concern, being worn prematurely. Think of this, a slight imperfection in the crown can cause massive accuracy issues. Now imagine a slug traveling down a barrel that is becoming more like a smooth bore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

This thread over laps what this one is about : viewtopic.php?f=124&t=50388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

DEC wrote:Ranger The Sleepy Doc,
Its called "Gibbs". http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/
Gibbs is good stuff. A couple of old timers had a booth set up during the vendor shoot day at the 2008 Sniper Comp at Benning. Those guys were a riot, so I picked up a couple of cans. I used it alot until I wasn't able to ship it home from A-stan. :roll:
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
twitch
USAF

Post by twitch »

Brake and parts cleaner/ PB Blaster does some great work; especially with a piston sys. that doesn't need any lube (use it on my M1A everytime I'm done shooting).
That using a drill really makes me want to cringe; just thinking of all the possible micro burrs/ scratches you would put in on the lands and grooves. Although I would like to push a bore scope through a barrel after that process just to see the possible benefits and/or damage left behind.

Would any of you Rangers possibly have any history using Slip2000, Carbon Killer, or EWL? I've heard great reviews and wanted to get any insight before I bought a batch of that stuff... thanks!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things...The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
J.S. Mill
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

twitch wrote:Would any of you Rangers possibly have any history using Slip2000, Carbon Killer, or EWL? I've heard great reviews and wanted to get any insight before I bought a batch of that stuff... thanks!
I've had good experiences with those products. The carbon killer that comes in the jar is a pretty handy item to drop your bolt into while you work on other things. Mine came with a wire to hold the bolt suspended in the solution. I think I usually let it set for around 10-15 minutes, and the carbon came off much easier. I don't think mine ever "wiped clean" as advertised, but overall was a big help. My pistol barrells fit in there as well. Thumbs up on the EWL also. If you're going to order, also check out their 725 degreaser. That stuff is awesome. Their online store prices seem to be about the same as retail prices in my area.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
twitch
USAF

Post by twitch »

Sounds good thanks Ranger abnhawk, I'll give it a go around. I'd like to find something to get that star-chamber cleaned out good so I dont have to get into an hour of dental picking and get something a bit more easy to use.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things...The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
J.S. Mill

Return to “Weapons of War”