How old is too old?

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Hawkmoon74
Ranger

How old is too old?

Post by Hawkmoon74 »

Ok...so here's the deal....I am 36, 37 in Nov.
I was in 3rd/75th from 92'-95'-(2nd plt, Aco, Sr. Machine Gunner, tabbed, etc...).
I have a good life...network engineer, make a good buck, etc but it isn't anything that I couldn't achieve all over again.
In order to spare you guys a long boring story...in short...I am bored.
Bored as hell and not even terribly proud of anything I am doing at the moment.

So f$#@ck it right ?
Why not go back to the regiment and see if I have enough gas in the tank for one more run.
Now I'm stupid but I don't think I'm dumb...or maybe I am.
Are there any 25 Sierra's out there from the 75th ?
I'm not sure I would/(could ?? ouch, that hurt to type...) go back as a door kicker but I know the 75th needs soft skill / commo MOS like a mother f'er.
Without having ranger school over my head, I am reasonably confident I cans till crush the APFT-(I run 2 marathons a year, am a crossfit junkie and yes, I know...carrying a ruck is suck on a different level but I'm pretty sure I could manage.)

My questions are thus:
Anyone know any older rangers? I mean guys in the 35+ club still getting it done ? Or is this a pipe dream that I need to put to bed? (understand by telling me I'm too old and soft, you've just guaranteed me quitting my job and heading down to the recruiter...lol)

Any 25 S Rangers out there? Can you give me an idea of what a day in the life of a Sat Comm Ranger is like?

Thanks for your input and responses in advance.

RLTW
Sr. Machine Gunner
2nd PLt, Aco. 3/75, 92'-95'
Ranger School class 11-94 (Desert Phase Major Go, Desert Phase Recycle, Mountain Phase Major Go...in that order...)

Blood and death I'm born to bring, the birth of an assassin. To cut the cord of life and death and ties to earth unfasten...
McD
Ranger

Re: How old is too old?

Post by McD »

Welcome brother... but first things first. Since you were in the Regiment you know the routine. There is a standing order that everyone must post an intro. before we get started shooting the shit with you. Slide over to the appropriate introduction area and make a intro. post and tell everyone a little about your self and what you did/ do (like you did here). Just need it over there. Not being a dick just following the rules. And just so you know there have a few in your situation go for it again.... but we will chat later.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Hawkmoon74
Ranger

Post by Hawkmoon74 »

Introduction posted here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for squaring me away.

RLTW
Sr. Machine Gunner
Ranger School class 11-94 (Desert Phase Major Go, Desert Phase Recycle, Mountain Phase Major Go...in that order...)

Blood and death I'm born to bring, the birth of an assassin. To cut the cord of life and death and ties to earth unfasten...
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, 3rd Batt.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Welcome.
I see you're in Atlanta. Why not just swing on by Ranger Rendezvous next week and ask one in person? 75thRRA Reunion will be ongoing as well - you need to join your association either way ;>)
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One tuesday or wednesday some element of Regiment usually puts on a dog&pony show for us association FOGs with all the latest toys & tools on display and plenty of Rangers detailed to entertain us, be the perfect time & place to see for yourself.

Prior service returns to AD are very difficult. Look in the 'recruitment forum for Goon175's posts, he posts the current data from recruiting command for 75thRR hopefuls.
Consider your local LRS unit or NG SF also.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Hawkmoon74
Ranger

Post by Hawkmoon74 »

Yeah, I saw that.
I've actually begun the process.
They won't take me straight into Active Duty though.
Have to go Reserves, get MOS qualified then go Active Duty then hit up the Ranger Recruiter to save me from big army hell.
(not implying that the big army is anything bad...it's just not the regiment....geez...I'm sure I f'ed that one up.)
Sr. Machine Gunner

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Hey uh your getting bad advice. PM me with what you are doing and how far along in the process you are.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Hawkmoon74
Ranger

Post by Hawkmoon74 »

PM sent and no paperwork has been signed yet....MEPS physical next week but I can push that off a few weeks easily enough.
Sr. Machine Gunner

Return to “About RASP”