You Can't Keep A Good Ranger Down

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Boudicca
Tadpole

You Can't Keep A Good Ranger Down

Post by Boudicca »

FORT BENNING, Ga., May 18, 2011 -- Sgt. 1st Class Ray Castillo is again flourishing as a senior noncommissioned officer at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., but that almost didn't seem possible two years ago.

That's when his 10th combat deployment with the 75th Ranger Regiment resulted in a life-changing event on the dusty battlefield of northern Iraq. Today, he's a double amputee - above the knees - but set to graduate next week from Fort Benning's seven-week Maneuver Senior Leaders Course.

"Just because I lost my limbs doesn't mean I can't give my experience and my knowledge to other guys, (but) I understood eventually I was going to be behind a desk," said Castillo, now an operations sergeant with 2nd Battalion. "There's nothing I could've done about that. I still wanted to be in the military, I still wanted to contribute."

http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/05/18/56 ... ine-title7
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: You Can't Keep A Good Ranger Down

Post by Ranger Ron »

I am proud to say I shook his hand after the jump during RR 09. What an honor to meet him!
~S~
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

I'm even more in awe of the woman that inspired him while in rehab: EOD soldier missing both arms.
I hope I could hold it together 10% as well as these two warriors in such a situation. Awesome people we're sending out there.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

K.Ingraham wrote:I'm even more in awe of the woman that inspired him while in rehab: EOD soldier missing both arms.
I hope I could hold it together 10% as well as these two warriors in such a situation. Awesome people we're sending out there.
It humbles me more every day to know we have such people as this willing to place it all on the line for this nation when so many out there really have no clue and do not appreciate it. God Bless'em!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Chuck_Finley
Ranger

Post by Chuck_Finley »

colt1rgr wrote:It humbles me more every day to know we have such people as this willing to place it all on the line for this nation when so many out there really have no clue and do not appreciate it. God Bless'em!
Amen, brother.....amen.
B 3/75 90-92
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

The indomitable spirit of all our wounded humbles me and makes me proud to have served. I've known more than a few double amputees but it never ceases to amaze me and leave me we a sense of awe at their courage and fortitude. This is an inspiring Ranger that continues to Lead The Way.
Last edited by al_2ndWolfhounds on May 20th, 2011, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't forget Joe Kap!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Chuck_Finley wrote:
colt1rgr wrote:It humbles me more every day to know we have such people as this willing to place it all on the line for this nation when so many out there really have no clue and do not appreciate it. God Bless'em!
Amen, brother.....amen.

X2
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “The News Dump”