Cabanatuan Raid Briefing.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Cabanatuan Raid Briefing.

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers & Vets,

I've Received an early "promotion" from MSI to MSII Cadet. My first assignment is to write an essay evaluating how the principles of war (MOOSEMUSS) applied to the 6th Rangers raid on the Cabanatuan and brief my platoon on the event. I have conducted all the proper research using both the course material (ghost soldiers by hampton sides) and extra material Ranger Ingraham has supplied me with.

I have however hit a roadblock. I'm not sure what format I'm supposed to put the briefing in. For my introduction to the event I've considered using METTT-C and/or an OPORD shell. Problem is METTT-C wont explain the execution and an OPORD is designed to be given BEFORE the operation so putting it in past tense makes it extremely lengthy and beyond the max word limit. so its either that or chop it up so that way vital information about the raid is left out.

Anyone care to square my dumb ass away?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Cabanatuan Raid Briefing.

Post by RangerX »

Edit-

Screw it. Just write a standard essay unless you are supposed to use one of the mentioned format.

Of course, you could always use PowerPoint.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

RangerX wrote:Edit-

Screw it. Just write a standard essay unless you are supposed to use one of the mentioned format.

RangerX,

PowerPoint briefings are an entirely different two weeks of of the lesson plan that we haven't entered into yet. All briefings are required to be given off paper for now.

Using Army approved formats are the standard. Its choosing which one which is left up to the Cadet.

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

NeverSayDie wrote:

RangerX,

PowerPoint briefings are an entirely different two weeks of of the lesson plan that we haven't entered into yet. All briefings are required to be given off paper for now.

Using Army approved formats are the standard. Its choosing which one which is left up to the Cadet.
Would using both provide the cover you need? You do mention that possibility.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

RangerX wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:

RangerX,

Would using both provide the cover you need? You do mention that possibility.....
RangerX,

The paper can be no more then four pages and must be double spaced. Using both would put me over the max or severely limit the amount of detail I can go into. To the point it would be below my personal standard and I fear below the cadres standard. are there any other Army approved formats to give a briefing in?

Im starting to consider the possibility this may be some mindfuck the cadre play on the new guys.

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

I'm considering cutting the execution section out of the OPORD and throw that in the METTT-C format. It would give the necessary level of detail and be below the limit, but would not be in a standard Army format. I'd bite the bullet and just do it, but its not graded on any academic scale. Its a GO/NOGO situation.

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Fuck it. I'm just going to write three separate papers (METTT-C / OPORD / METTT-C+execution) and ask the Major which one he'd prefer.

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

how the hell is METTT-C an Army writing style? especially for an essay. OPORD for that matter either? might as well just do it as an Incident report, but for extra credit, due a CONOP to link to it.

you want Army writing style, make it an MFR.

in all seriousness, you should format it as a AAR if they want an approved "writing style" for an event that has taken place 66 years ago.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

KW Driver wrote:how the hell is METTT-C an Army writing style? especially for an essay. OPORD for that matter either? might as well just do it as an Incident report, but for extra credit, due a CONOP to link to it.

in all seriousness, you should format it as a AAR if they want an approved "writing style" for an event that has taken place 66 years ago.
Ranger KW Driver,

METTT-C and OPORD are the only two ways I've been taught to give a brief on a mission. I Don't even know what those other acronyms stand for. :oops:

Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

NeverSayDie wrote:
KW Driver wrote:how the hell is METTT-C an Army writing style? especially for an essay. OPORD for that matter either? might as well just do it as an Incident report, but for extra credit, due a CONOP to link to it.

Ranger KW Driver,

METTT-C and OPORD are the only two ways I've been taught to give a brief on a mission. I Don't even know what those other acronyms stand for. :oops:
Damn dude, can't you just ask for guidance? I appreciate initiative, but I don't see how asking what format they prefer is a negative....
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

NSD,

The cadre may also be testing for your resourcefulness, not just your presentation skills. If instructions were "must be in an Army-approved format" and not specifically "must be either METTT-C or OPORD", go with Ranger KW Driver's advice. You'll need to use a little Google-Fu to determine what those acronyms are and where to find those formats, but that's all part of being resourceful. Just be prepared to calmly defend your choice (you might want to put your defense in writing ahead of time, too).

Remember, in ROTC you are in training to become an officer, not just a soldier. When guidance is lacking, you must be capable of making the decision on your own.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Invictus wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:

Ranger KW Driver,

Damn dude, can't you just ask for guidance? I appreciate initiative, but I don't see how asking what format they prefer is a negative....
Ranger Invictus,

This is my first my first assignment as an MSII. Brief and Debrief are standard MSII skill sets that MSII's are expected to know. Since I was promoted early I'm in the last stretch of the current MSII training cycle when my peers wont come in until the start of the next one, which I will then attend that full training cycle. Its the academic equivalent of skipping airborne hold and starting on jump week. I have to hit the ground running and have every intention of doing so.

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

NeverSayDie wrote: Ranger Invictus,

This is my first my first assignment as an MSII. Brief and Debrief are standard MSII skill sets that MSII's are expected to know. Since I was promoted early I'm in the last stretch of the current MSII training cycle when my peers wont come in until the start of the next one, which I will then attend that full training cycle. Its the academic equivalent of skipping airborne hold and starting on jump week. I have to hit the ground running and have every intention of doing so.
if you've never been instructed, how can you be held accountable for the lack of knowledge? you should ask them, what standard they are going to hold you to, rather than ask us when we have no clue what the standard is supposed to be.

I wasn't joking about how METT-TC can be a briefing format. In the Army I've grown up in, METT-TC is an acronym used as planning considerations, not the format of the plan. that's what OPORDs are for. METT-TC allows you to make a good OPORD, and more often these days, a CONOP. I don't care what standard your school or ROTC uses, but you need to know it.

as a leader/prospective officer, Execution is the meat and the heart of an order. Mission statement and commander's intent, and two levels higher will allow a good unit to execute and complete a mission. Execution is the very essence of what needs to be there, and the first priority for you, the leader. it's the last thing you should ever cut corners on. period.

if you don't know what an MFR, AAR, CONOP is, it's just a google away, as stated.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

KW Driver wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote: Ranger Invictus,

if you've never been instructed, how can you be held accountable for the lack of knowledge? you should ask them, what standard they are going to hold you to, rather than ask us when we have no clue what the standard is supposed to be.

I wasn't joking about how METT-TC can be a briefing format. In the Army I've grown up in, METT-TC is an acronym used as planning considerations, not the format of the plan. that's what OPORDs are for. METT-TC allows you to make a good OPORD, and more often these days, a CONOP. I don't care what standard your school or ROTC uses, but you need to know it.

as a leader/prospective officer, Execution is the meat and the heart of an order. Mission statement and commander's intent, and two levels higher will allow a good unit to execute and complete a mission. Execution is the very essence of what needs to be there, and the first priority for you, the leader. it's the last thing you should ever cut corners on. period.

if you don't know what an MFR, AAR, CONOP is, it's just a google away, as stated.
What he said. I'm working on a project at Columbus State that will be delivered to BOLC. It will be a tactical decision making simulation for new LT's.
We're using METT-TC as a briefing format. The schoolhouse is indeed moving more and more away from the OPORD and more toward the CONOP.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

CloakAndDagger wrote:NSD,

The cadre may also be testing for your resourcefulness, not just your presentation skills. If instructions were "must be in an Army-approved format" and not specifically "must be either METTT-C or OPORD", go with Ranger KW Driver's advice. You'll need to use a little Google-Fu to determine what those acronyms are and where to find those formats, but that's all part of being resourceful. Just be prepared to calmly defend your choice (you might want to put your defense in writing ahead of time, too).

Remember, in ROTC you are in training to become an officer, not just a soldier. When guidance is lacking, you must be capable of making the decision on your own.
Veteran CloakandDagger,

Google search is yielding no results for AAR and MFR,
Incident report search is bringing up "serious incident report" which seems to be designed for disciplinary problems within a unit.
continuing search.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”