Introduction-Adam

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

WesternNC
Embryo

Introduction-Adam

Post by WesternNC »

Rangers,

My name is Adam and I graduate in May from Western Carolina University with a BSBA. I'll be 25. To pay my way through school, I've done everything from screen-printing and shingling roofs, to making sub sandwiches and fixing the plumbing and electrical systems on RV's. Staring at the business end of graduation, and the daunting prospect of a couple sales gigs, I have to take a long hard look at what I want to do.

I'll be completely honest with everyone reading this and say that all options are on the table. I've received conflicting advice on OCS, enlisting with an Option 40, and 18x. I understand that many of these topics have been beat to death here on the boards, but advice from men who have done and seen more is always appreciated.

Also, I have a medical related question: I've got a broken lower molar that the dentist tells me will require a root canal or an implant. I'm wondering what road-blocks, if any, that would present to an Option 40 enlistment?

Self-administered AFPT:
Push Ups: 83
Sit Ups: 76
Pull Ups: 13
2 Mile: 13:27

Thank you in advance-Adam
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: WesternNC Introduction

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome WesternNC.

Good idea would be for you to read the various different forums in:

Recruiters and Schools - Q&A

Since you have time, I suggest you read.

Dental issue is beyond my expertise. Perhaps another will better inform you.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
WesternNC
Embryo

Re: Introduction-Adam

Post by WesternNC »

I appreciate the quick reply Ranger Steadfast. Should I post the dental question somewhere else?
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Google: AR 40-501.

Read it. Don't worry; there is a table of contents.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
WesternNC
Embryo

Post by WesternNC »

That was a tremendous help Ranger Elguapo. The way I read it, unless their are unknown complications regarding implants, it's not a dis-qualifier.

Is that something I would want to approach somebody in medical about? Maybe at Bragg or MEPS?
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

WesternNC wrote:That was a tremendous help Ranger Elguapo. The way I read it, unless their are unknown complications regarding implants, it's not a dis-qualifier.

Is that something I would want to approach somebody in medical about? Maybe at Bragg or MEPS?
I would just gather all of your medical documentation regarding your teeth and pass it off to your recruiter. Has he not been any help? For what it's worth, I've had a root canal and I'm not disqualified from any of the cool stuff.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
WesternNC
Embryo

Post by WesternNC »

To be honest, I have so many irons in the fire, I'm trying not to waste anyone's time (recruiters) until I'm more certain the route I want to take, OCS or enlistment; I just don't want to waste anybody's time, including members of this board.

I'm gathering as much perspective as I can. Thank you for the advice Ranger Elguapo.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You will go through a regular recruiter either route you take. You have to enlist for OCS. Just FYI.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I heard there was some serious vandalism at the Western Carolina University library.

Someone colored outside the lines.

:D
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
WesternNC
Embryo

Post by WesternNC »

Very nice Ranger rgrokelley! We DO have an outstanding academic reputation here at WCU.

I was at a gas station over in Bryson not long ago lending an older guy my tire gauge. He asked me if I was from the area, I said no, but I was a student at Western. He laughed and said when he graduated high school, which was mid-70's, if you couldn't go to college...you could always go to Western.

Return to “Introduction Archive”