Americans Aboard Yacht Captured by Pirates Reportedly Killed

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Americans Aboard Yacht Captured by Pirates Reportedly Killed

Post by C-MAC »

DEVELOPING STORY: Four Americans aboard a yacht hijacked by Somali pirates have been killed, Fox News has confirmed.

Read more:
Last edited by Steadfast on February 22nd, 2011, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote edited & repaired by Admin
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Americans Aboard Yacht Captured by Pirates Reportedly Ki

Post by Baseplate »

I am pretty sure that if i were going to be yachting across the globe I would stay away from Somalia
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Post by Headoutdaplane »

I read somewhere that one of the pirates was knifed to death by a US Service member.
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

I feel bad for the families ... naturally. But seriously, how do you feel sorry for these people? Of all the garden spots of the world and they are gonna go sailing HERE? WTF? :? :roll:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

2x, Colt . . .I have to agree, not a good place for a boat ride.

RLTW!!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

I wonder what the full story is here? Two dead skinnies on the boat when we boarded (in addition to the two we killed with return fire when boarding). Bad guys said we shot them, so they shot the hostages? Sounds like complete BS by the pirates and they were arguing amongst themselves. Dirtbags. :evil:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

as O'Kelly said elsewhere, if you plan to transit the Suez Canal, you're within range of these guys. it's either that or go south round the Cape of Good Hope, against the currents.

I read a story of a couple circumnavigating. they were at least 400 miles off Somalia, saw a mothership and smaller boats at sunset. they spent the night playing cat and mouse with the boats for two days. the only reason they avoided the suspected bad guys, is they had radar and the others didn't.

and a sailboat ain't got much of a chance against the bad guys. they might get 8 knots with good wind and engine maxed out.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

So, a question...

- What are the laws regarding arming yourself on the high seas? I suppose the port you leave and come has much to do with it. But what's to prevent me from having a Ma Deuce or Javelin onboard? Any weapon with better range than an RPG or AK has to provide a tactical advantage.

Given these folks were in the Middle East, there are a few ports where one could dock and buy just about any weapon known to mankind...

Provided you are trained on the weapons and use of lethal force, I am missing the downside.
Ranger KW Driver
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

C-MAC wrote:So, a question...

- What are the laws regarding arming yourself on the high seas? I suppose the port you leave and come has much to do with it. But what's to prevent me from having a Ma Deuce or Javelin onboard? Any weapon with better range than an RPG or AK has to provide a tactical advantage.

Given these folks were in the Middle East, there are a few ports where one could dock and buy just about any weapon known to mankind...

Provided you are trained on the weapons and use of lethal force, I am missing the downside.

Believe it or not this is the reason the companies who own the oil tankers don't train and arm the crews, because once they land in port or within territorial waters they are subject to the various laws of that particular land which are not friendly AT ALL to weapons. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Several new security enterprises have risen up due to this pirate threat and what they are finding is that you must grease many skids to make it work.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

The pirates operate up to 1250 miles off the coast. So if you need a Suez transit you’re going to have to have to pass the pirate area.

I have worked in shipping companies for the last 20 years and most ships have some weapons but very light. They are locked in the ship’s safe along with alcohol and cigarettes which are tax free on freighters and tankers when they enter port. It’s that the pirates have heavy MG’s and RPG’s and the like…
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

My understanding is that American war ships approached the sail boat and two Somali pirates went on board one to negotiate. There where two others in the sail boat holding the four Americans. Navy seals where on stand by when gun fire erupted on the sail boat. They rushed in and shot one pirate and knifed the other. Unfortunately they found all four Americans dead.

That’s the story the news told.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

"Knifed the other"

Said SEAL must have had a malfunction in his rifle and sidearm, so had to resort to fixed blade...

Not that I feal bad for the pirate or anything :)
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Some folks should just stay in bed. The image of that skinnie launching that RPG at a modern USN destroyer (damn things the size of WW2 cruisers) had to create a moment of disbelief on the bridge of the targeted ship "Did that skinnie SOB really do what I think he just did??!!"

We need to apply the already extant and ancient international maritime law and stop treating piracy in international waters as if it were pickpocketing in a city. It's very legal and proer to pre-empt. SSVB suspect vessels and if anything suspicious is found - leaving the naval OIC on the scene to make that call and support him afterward - sink the vessel and occupants.
Of course, as long as we're patrolling that area in concert with the Eurotrash, this'll never happen. Yet another reason to ally ourselves with Russia. It makes a lot more sense ifor the 21st century.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “The News Dump”