Please Confirm/Deny

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
RetPara
Ranger

Please Confirm/Deny

Post by RetPara »

That all the Option 40 Contracts for FY11 have been filled?

Or does this fall into the realm... till they need more?
RS2 84-86

Intelligence in a person can be measured.... Stupidity is a bottomless pit which is beyond measure....
ski20
Tadpole

Re: Please Confirm/Deny

Post by ski20 »

Ranger RetPara.

While I was at MEPS two weeks ago, the counselor had said that, but also said, people drop their contracts before even starting so that opens some back up for people trying to enlist.
Sparks24
Future Soldier

Re: Please Confirm/Deny

Post by Sparks24 »

goon175 wrote:I sincerely doubt that you will get 35F with an opt. 40. Regardless of how long you wait or how much hard ball you play. 35F by itself is a hard job to get, let alone getting high speed options along with it. Something for everyones S.A. on the option 40 deal: All the option 40's for FY 2011 have been taken for the main jobs (11x, 13F, 68W), the only jobs that are coming with it are the E co. - type jobs (88M, 92Y, etc.). Some times the ROC "makes" jobs, and guys get the option, not sure how this works, all I know is it rarely happens and the only times I have heard of it happening are from some of the FS's on this site. My best advice for Ranger hopefulls is to atleast get an option 4 (which you will still have to fight for if your going in as 11x). The intel NCOIC from Regiment gave very pertinent advice: Get an airborne slot, and if you are what the 75th is looking for, you will have the opportunity to apply in AIT or Airborne (especially for the non 11x guys, they are a dime a dozen to regiment). That is contrary to the advice most offer on here, but the reality is that the economy sucks and the Army isn't as willing to bend over backwards for applicants like they used to, because the mission is being met with out it - 'take it or leave it' mentality . I have also talked with the regimental recruiter, and apparently they are trending towards less option 40's and more recruiting in AIT's/OSUT (proven PT scores/performance). Also, you need to review the USAREC message I posted saying what the requirements for an option 40 are, so you don't join with a 105 GT score thinking you can pick up a RASP slot in airborne (won't happen). One more piece of advice: If you can't get that elusive Opt. 40, take a 3 year contract for an MOS that Regiment takes as back up in case things don't work out in AIT. That way your re-enlistment window opens up only a year into your contract, and you can re-enlist for a RASP slot (you have a lot more negotiating power at re-enlistment as opposed to your initial enlistment).

Terrence- There isn't a whole lot of guys that go intel that are also looking at Ranger, so if you are in great shape and are a performer, I don't see it being an issue for you down the road in AIT. (correct me if I am wrong you intel guys on here)
Ranger RetPara here is a quote from Ranger goon175 from another thread. Hopefully this will have the answer you are looking for.
Discipline is a bitch, but once you master it, there's nothing quite like it.
-Anonymous

Return to “Recruitment Process”