The GRF (Global Responce Force)

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

LJ_602
Ranger

Post by LJ_602 »

We just came off the GRF with no call to go to work. We are going on block leave but it's both dissapointing and a relief, but has anyone out there been on a GRF status and been called up? How hectic was it and what were you called for (OPSEC in affect obivously). We are going to rotate back on so I just wanted some advice and experinces I could learn from.
USS George Washington 97-00
HC-2 SAR 00-01
C CO 2-505 PIR 82nd ABN current
Ranger Class 1-11
RANGER513
Ranger

Re: The GRF (Global Responce Force)

Post by RANGER513 »

Not sure how it works nowadays, but back in my day, one Ranger Batt. was always on " alert " and ready to respond anywhere in the world in a very short time frame. ( Time left out for possible OPSEC reasons. )

When the ballon went up on 12-18-89, it was pretty much controled / organized chaos until the ramps on the C-130's closed, then it was all business from there.

Just my .02
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I was.. but it was back in the day. Quick call from your TL/SL ("the balloon has gone up"), grab your stuff and prepare to board a plane. Always have your bag prepped. In your current role in the 82'nd, I'd assume you'd already be prepared for these calls. Maybe not? :?

As for the reason for being called up.. it could have been anything: A drill, Central America (for me), the Middle East, ad nausea, etc, etc, etc.. (insert any random, political or military reason here)
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

If the 82d does it like we did, you can be assured that you will get called out. We always got alerted and went out and played army in the woods for 3-4 days at some point. You won't know what's what until you pack for the jump. They give you blanks it is probably make believe.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

And if you get live ammo, it could still be a training mission.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

KW Driver wrote:And if you get live ammo, it could still be a training mission.

Perhaps........but when they start passing out frag gernades like candy, its probably not a training trip. :shock:

( I only grabbed 8 frags for my little trip down South. ) 8)
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I remember going on DRF in Division was a huge deal prior to it. Pre-packing of everything to prepare for stuff, the cleaning of every weapon in the AR, assigned or unassigned. Once you actually assumed it, it was business as usual until the inevitable EDRE.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jgang
US Army Veteran

Post by Jgang »

I remember being on DRF and nothing happened the first go around. Shortly after we were in the Phillipines for routine drills that we all thought were going to be more. I still remember the excitement of wanting to prove we could do our job to the best of our abilities. And the so called disappointment of not going at all. Regardless, we serve and fulfill whatever we are called upon to do. Definitely business as usual.
25th ID 1988-1989
Harmony Church 1987

Return to “The Mosh Pit”