Seeking Medical Advice

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Seeking Medical Advice

Post by LowCrawler »

The last two times ive been running, i have developed some strange symptoms. These things have never happened to me before, even when i was doing the extensive twoadays, offseason, etc. Ive excersised alot harder before and rarely even gotten sore.

During and immediately after running, i get these little knots in my calves, and then soon it spreads to the whole muscle. Just earlier i got spots, about dime-size and very dark in color. They dont hurt but they appeared right where the tightness is most severe. And the day after the run I can hardly walk. The tightness becomes stabbing pain. Whenever i walk normally, and reach the part of my step where i come up on my toes, the pain shoots all the way up to my knee, and then my leg just falls limp. Nothing even close to this has ever happened to me. I decided that if it isnt better by Monday im going to the doctor. Im afraid he'll tell me im just sore, and i hate to waste that kind of money.
There is no swelling at all. I took some naproxen sodium earlier, and i havent done anything but drink water and stretch since.

My question is does anyone have any idea whats going on? and how do i treat it? What can be done in the future to prevent this?

Thank you for your time,

-LC
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"We make war that we may have peace"
-Aristotle

"A post a day keeps the smoke away"
-Doc
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I'm no doctor; but dude, if that shit happened to me, I'd not only go to the MD but maybe the ER! I think you've got the 'hiv'. :lol:

Seriously though, if your leg is going limp, it could be some type of pressure on a nerve. Nerves are funny things; I found out that I have two herniated disks because I fucking sneezed one day and was paralyzed from the waist down (for almost an hour).

It sounds a little more complicated than just 'sore muscles' if you ask me....but don't; ask a doctor.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

You should go to the doctor ASAP. Fuck it if it costs money, you don't have the training to diagnose yourself, and what you are describing sounds like you might have a vascular problem or a blood clot.

Deep Vein Thrombosis is the only descriptive medical condition I could find related to your symptoms.

Are you a diabetic? Have allergies? Take injections for anything in your legs?

I'm not a doctor, nor have I played one on TV, nor have I slept in a Holiday Inn Express recently.

Get thee to a doctor post haste!
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

Thank you Ranger Saltbitch. I wouldnt say its going limp as in no feeling. Because i can sure feel it, and it hurts like hell. But it goes limp like it just cant handle the weight. But no numbness or tingling or swelling. Just tightness and pain. The spots is what bothers me the most. I have no idea what those are, unless maybe theyre blood spots from where i might have torn the muscle.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

-Aristotle

-Doc
LowCrawler
Tadpole

Post by LowCrawler »

Roger that... I havent been to the doctor yet, All my symptoms went away after ice and elevation. I dont have any diabetes or any medical condition at all. Im 15 years old and am a healthy guy. I just bought a pair of good running shoes. I really dont think i have DVT or any other arterial/vascular/circulation problem, ive been reasearching my symptoms and it seems like i just tore up my muscles. There never was any swelling or numbness at all. But im not the expert here.
Theres no way im going to be able to convince my parents i need to see a doctor at this point, as im fine now. however, if the condition comes back with the new shoes and the proper stretch/warmup/cooldown next time i run, i will be making an appointment.

Thanks to Doc and everyone else for the response

added: What seems the most strange to me is all through the three years of heavy excercise, football, etc. I was almost never even sore... and now just a little running gets me like this? doesnt make any sense.
-Edmund Burke

-Aristotle

-Doc

Return to “Medical Issues”