Rope Climbing and Misc Stuff

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
WhiskeyRiver
Ranger

Rope Climbing and Misc Stuff

Post by WhiskeyRiver »

Whelp, first day at Benning, and I decided to check out the Audie Murphy gym. After the desk lady showed me around the place, dodging crossfitters and their Vibram five-fingers (what is with those things), I decided to give the rope a try. I've been feeling pretty saucy about my PT recently; I've been making some nice gains with my push-ups and pull-ups, so I felt that the rope would provide me with my next exercise goal.

Rangers, I must admit, the rope climb was a proverbial pimp slap, restoring a healthy sense of humility within me. I got one good climb in, and after about 45 seconds rest, I got about 2/3 of the way up on a second try. :oops:

So, I am now in the market for things I can do to improve my rope climbing (beyond climbing a rope every change I get, of course). Rangers, do you have any suggestions? I did notice they had a sled of sorts that you could add weights to and pull along the floor with a rope, so I am looking in to that.

The other area I was looking for help with - while I'm maxing my push-ups at the moment, there's always room for improvement, and the limiting factor seems to be my chest. My arms won't be sore the next morning, but the chest will be. This one isn't as big of a deal, but there's no harm in asking others for their opinion.
Ranger School 07-11
Shock
Tadpole

Re: Rope Climbing and Misc Stuff

Post by Shock »

How are you climbing the rope? This is the way I was taught: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never had issues climbing ropes, up to and including around 40-50ft, using this technique.

Also, are you stretching after your push up sessions? Push ups are a serious stress on your chest, you should stretch after every exercise.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Keep the upper hand at eye level and climb using short arm strokes and no legs. You'll be developing your upper body in ways you never dreamed of. When you've mastered that, using the way the Israeli showed, you'll be able to go up the rope like a squirrel!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
WhiskeyRiver
Ranger

Post by WhiskeyRiver »

Shock, thanks for the vid. I think at one point when I had regular access to a rope, I was able to use that technique. Between that time and now, I had lost the technique, and just relied on the boots and trousers to provide enough friction to hold me up. I think what I'll do is practice the technique first, so I have it down-packed again, and then do what Ranger Slowpoke said, and try to climb the rope using mostly upper body. As he said, that way I can get the most out of the technique in the vid.

As far as the push-up and stretching, I stretch before and after each workout, but are you suggesting that I stretch directly after the push-ups?
Ranger School 07-11
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

WR, I apologize for the delay. I was visiting family in Georgia and they have not figured out the internet yet.

The technique I showed you mainly relies on using your legs, but after tackling several obstacles and running a couple thousand meters your legs can get tired. Knowing that you can rely on your arms to pick up the slack is extremely valuable.

As far as stretching goes, if you are already getting in a good stretch after working out I can't think of anything else without seeing your stretching.

Good luck with your course.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום

Return to “About Army Physical Training”