Vibram Five Fingers

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Vibram Five Fingers

Post by BigboyBob »

Rangers,

Any opinions on these?

I hear they're supposed to really strengthen the legs, most specifically the foot, ankle, and calf. I was thinking that if you wear these for a few runs a week along with normal running shoes for most runs it would make a good combination for preparing your feet and lower body for the rigors of ruck marches.
Mentee to Ranger Invictus

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

Ship Date: 20110104
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Vibram Five Fingers

Post by Baseplate »

I don't want anything between my toes. You know what is really good for road marches?

Road Marching
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Seabass1-4
Ranger

Post by Seabass1-4 »

These things are all the rage at Lewis. Some douches think that fashion outweighs policy with things that are as un-cool as socks. It's weird to make an on the spot correction while coming out of the class 6 with a shopping cart full of booze, but it happens.

I think that these shoes are a fad that will pass.

That and they look weird.
Bco 2/75 1997-2004
HHC & Aco 2/75 2007-2009
Class 9/98
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

The only people I've ever seen wearing those are crossfiters with attitudes and fat guys who think they're in shape. Plus, they're not 670-1 compliant. Other then that, from those who do wear them, they say they're great.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Post by BigboyBob »

Rangers,

I knew I was opening myself up to some criticism, but oh well. Of course the best thing to prepare oneself for Road Marching is to Road March, but with no ruck or experience with it, was just looking for a feasible alternative.

And yes....they do look gay. That is simply undeniable.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

-Socrates

BigboyBob
Tadpole

Post by BigboyBob »

Roger Ranger .. I think a cut-off Tapout shirt would better serve to up the badassness level as well. And I'll no longer be doing pushups and situps, I'll just start doing bicep curls to work the "guns." I'll also go get a mohawk. I'll be the coolest kid on the block.

Maybe a tribal tattoo to complement the look?

-Niccolo Machiavelli

-Socrates

BigboyBob
Tadpole

Post by BigboyBob »

Lunch wrote: But in this regard, as I'm sure you've read, this gayfootglove is said to develop different muscle groups than what would normally be worked wearing "traditional" footwear and changes the way the foot initially makes contact with the ground. I strongly believe this would be counter productive and would lead to immediate injury/stress issues once going back to man boots, especially with the arch, achilles tendon, big toe tendon, and shin splints.
Ranger Lunch,

That makes sense. For what I will be doing in the future they're not practical for me. I should develop the muscles I will be using by running in the shoes that I'll use in all Army PT, and it could adversely affect me in the long run trying to transition between these and normal running shoes. Thank you for telling me what I needed to hear.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

-Socrates

The Holmchicken
Ranger

. wrote:Make sure if you wear these shoes, you wear Ranger panties (a size too small) and a size smedium workout shirt with affliction or tap out written on it.

Or a t-shirt that says "My gym can beat up your gym" or "Your workout is my warm up".
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

The Holmchicken wrote:
. wrote:Make sure if you wear these shoes, you wear Ranger panties (a size too small) and a size smedium workout shirt with affliction or tap out written on it.

Or a t-shirt that says "My gym can beat up your gym" or "Your workout is my warm up".

I think those steps should be skipped. It would be much more to the point to just wear a pink shirt that says "I'm GAY, SORRY DAD." :roll:
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Those look OK on women.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

If you wear them you will become 'THAT GUY in the shoes.' Those shoes will cause you to be singled out and called out at every turn by everyone. Others will take turns making fun of you, and it will become a team sport. Let someone else be the fashion pioneer. Go do PT in your regular shoes.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
The Holmchicken
Ranger

I can see the point of the shoes and everyone I know who has raves about them. Personally, I try to go barefoot as much as possible even in Fort Lewis. That being said, in the court of peer opinion, you'll become "that guy". Try converse all-stars if you're really into the barefoot thing. They only look half as gay and they're much cheaper. I wear them for lifting and sprints and you get the same feeling as going barefoot.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA

Return to “About Army Physical Training”