moral question

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

moral question

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

Im sure some of you have heard about it on the news about the mass INTEL leak that spilled over on to the web. Will it present an obstruction to my obtaining a security clearance if I download this information to my PC and reveiw it? If its available to the hajis anyway then it should make sense that future soldiers, soldiers and vets should be able tosee it. However I can also see how looking at something that might still be categorized as classified, secret, or top secret information could look vary bad.

NSD
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
panthersix
Ranger

Re: moral question

Post by panthersix »

If you have to ask, then don't do it. Trust in the force Luke!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It absolutely shouldn't, but we're talking the army here. Common sense is absent with "security" matters. Back in the Eighties, a mass-market paperback came out called "Deep Black" or something similar concerning recon satelites and the NRO, which at that time was somewhere up and beyond 'highly classified'. So some idiot wearing multiple stars bans the book from Ft Bragg, in a stupid attempt to keep soldiers ignorant about what any yahoo with $7.95 could read at leasure. To say nothing of challenging three SFGs full of SF NCOs by telling them not to read something of professional interest. As if banning this paperback from Bragg was going to somehow make everything all secret again. And my personal favorite was the Nixon White House TS file of newspaper clippings of stories about Nixon. :roll:
If the library computers are all taken, just come over & read it on mine.

Oh, and learn from the idiot post commander: Never, but never degrade your authority and your subordinates confidence in you by giving strict idiotic orders that you cannot enforce.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

panthersix wrote:If you have to ask, then don't do it. Trust in the force Luke!
Roger that Ranger panthersix. However I feel obligated to inform you if that if you tell me "I AM your father!" you may be served with court papers demanding 18 years of backed child support :lol: :lol: (already pushing)
K.Ingraham wrote:It absolutely shouldn't, but we're talking the army here. Common sense is absent with "security" matters. Back in the Eighties, a mass-market paperback came out called "Deep Black" or something similar concerning recon satelites and the NRO, which at that time was somewhere up and beyond 'highly classified'. So some idiot wearing multiple stars bans the book from Ft Bragg, in a stupid attempt to keep soldiers ignorant about what any yahoo with $7.95 could read at leasure. To say nothing of challenging three SFGs full of SF NCOs by telling them not to read something of professional interest. As if banning this paperback from Bragg was going to somehow make everything all secret again. And my personal favorite was the Nixon White House TS file of newspaper clippings of stories about Nixon.
If the library computers are all taken, just come over & read it on mine.

Oh, and learn from the idiot post commander: Never, but never degrade your authority and your subordinates confidence in you by giving strict idiotic orders that you cannot enforce.
Roger that Ranger Ingraham. Maybe tomorrow if we have time after the study session and PT we can check it out on your PC? Since seeing the news report earlier this morning I've been drooling over the files.

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I wouldn't download just to ensure that albino assclown running wikileaks doesn't infer any kind of support.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

NeverSayDie wrote:
panthersix wrote:If you have to ask, then don't do it. Trust in the force Luke!
Roger that Ranger panthersix. However I feel obligated to inform you if that if you tell me "I AM your father!" you may be served with court papers demanding 18 years of backed child support :lol: :lol: (already pushing)

Hmmmm, want to buy some pix of your Mom wearing a dog collar? :mrgreen:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

BTW...this is not a moral issue, it is an ethical issue
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
Silverback wrote:BTW...this is not a moral issue, it is an ethnical issue
Why you gotta bring race into this?
I gots a black baby? :shock:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Like the others mentioned, this is a ethical and not a moral issue for you, and it is unlikely to effect you getting a clearance (other than the fact that I'm sure the security investigators are getting pushed harder these days to make sure the people they grant clearances to are trustworthy).

However, once you do obtain your clearance, sometimes it's wiser to avoid reading leaked information so you can avoid accidently leaking more information (that you may have personal knowledge of) if the topic comes up in conversation.
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

What really is the definition of a leak?
Apparently, said information was available
to many different groups of people. It has
been said that perhaps someone had the
ass about something, and sought retribution.
The fact that this has happened is not at
all surprising. That it took this long to
happen is.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

So far from what I've read, this is all part of the same data slug that came from PFC Manning.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

There isn't too much exciting on there anyway
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

panthersix wrote: Hmmmm, want to buy some pix of your Mom wearing a dog collar? :mrgreen:
Ranger panthersix,

Im very fortunate that I only ate bannanas tonight. They're the only thing that taste the same on the way back up. BTW you shouldnt joke about that... it would mean you slept with a liberal democrat :shock: :lol:

An illigetimate Black Baby you never met? pssh what is this The Muary Show? Im of Italian-Irish descent, So I'm olive skinned, drink, curse often, talk with my hands, and have a natural inclination to start fights. so... close, but no fat white chick.

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

CloakAndDagger wrote: (other than the fact that I'm sure the security investigators are getting pushed harder these days to make sure the people they grant clearances to are trustworthy).
CloakAndDagger,

This is what Im worried about. While it my not be a disqualifier in-and-of-itself, and while I've never been convicted, my past is somewhat sketchy and I dont want to do anything that would add any additional skeptisism to the mind of my DoD interveiwer. Especialy a DoD interveiwer that after incidents like Ft.Hood and now this, will be very consience of coverering his own six. On the other hand keeping close track of the war is an enourmous boost to my motivation and focus on my objective, and the classified nature of it alone has me staring at the link like it grew a pair of 34DD tits.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”