WTF - Ranger Memorial website hacked...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

DangerClose
Ranger

WTF - Ranger Memorial website hacked...

Post by DangerClose »

Just surfing around compiling links for a new toolbar that I'm building for these forums and found that the Ranger Memorial website was hacked by a bunch of Indonesian fucks that need to be rolled up...

http://www" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.***LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN FOR THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED***- don't click on anything that pops up.

Shit is ridiculous these days.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: WTF - Ranger Memorial website hacked...

Post by hobbit »

Maybe they were thanking us for spending more than $200 million feeding, clothing, sheltering, and providing medical care to 300,000 of them following the Indian Ocean Tsunami. After which they said "Fuck off you infidel heretics, we don't need you any longer".
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

BTW everyone. Don't bother clicking the link above provided by DangerClose. It's nothing but a blank page with a few possibly malicious popups. And to you DangterClose, why did you post this link here at armyranger.com?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I've reviewed the links/pop-ups. Nothing harmful. I do like the bouncing jugs gal, though. This is a kiddie-hacker crack. They brute-forced (no pun) the password and modified the index.html. Pretty basic hack. The webmaster should know better than to make the admin/root password so simple.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

BruteForce wrote:I've reviewed the links/pop-ups. Nothing harmful. I do like the bouncing jugs gal, though. This is a kiddie-hacker crack. They brute-forced (no pun) the password and modified the index.html. Pretty basic hack. The webmaster should know better than to make the admin/root password so simple.
Thanks for that.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

DangerClose
Ranger

Post by DangerClose »

Yeah... I don't make it a habit of posting harmful links and code - hence the defer that says in the post 'don't click on anything that pops up.'
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

DangerClose wrote:Yeah... I don't make it a habit of posting harmful links and code - hence the defer that says in the post 'don't click on anything that pops up.'
Uh huh. Except that in order to close the linked page, you have to close the two or three popups first. That means clicking their "X" close icons. So what was the whole point of your post in the first place? To show how lame your site security is?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

From reading the initial post, it appears that he was simply warning folks not to visit the Ranger Memorial link. It has been hacked. If you chose to double check him, then it's your own fault if you get a virus....

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

EarthPig wrote:From reading the initial post, it appears that he was simply warning folks not to visit the Ranger Memorial link. It has been hacked. If you chose to double check him, then it's your own fault if you get a virus....

RLTW
EP
Let me get this straight. If I start a thread here at ArmyRanger.com, and post a link central to that thread, and you click the link and infect yourself with a virus, then it's YOUR FAULT, and not the fault of the individual who infected the thread with a virus to begin with? That's an interesting back flip of logic. Sort of like the old blame the woman for getting raped rationale. Let me ponder on that for awhile.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

hobbit wrote:
EarthPig wrote:From reading the initial post, it appears that he was simply warning folks not to visit the Ranger Memorial link. It has been hacked. If you chose to double check him, then it's your own fault if you get a virus....

RLTW
EP
Let me get this straight. If I start a thread here at ArmyRanger.com, and post a link central to that thread, and you click the link and infect yourself with a virus, then it's YOUR FAULT, and not the fault of the individual who infected the thread with a virus to begin with? That's an interesting back flip of logic. Sort of like the old blame the woman for getting raped rationale. Let me ponder on that for awhile.
More like telling a woman that her neighbor is a rapist. When she goes and knocks on his door topless and gets raped no one really feels bad for her
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

hobbit wrote:

RLTW
EP
Operating a computer should require licensing like driving a car.

Basically yes, if YOU click on a link, and your computer is not up to date on anti-virus, malware protection and every other form of security available, then yes it is YOUR fault that you got a virus.

Just like if YOU forget to put oil in your car, try to start it and the engine seizes, then it is YOUR fault that your car is inoperable.

There are literally millions of computers on the interweb today that act as zombies for hackers because fuckwits were ignorant on safe computer operation.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

RangerX wrote:Operating a computer should require licensing like driving a car. Basically yes, if YOU click on a link, and your computer is not up to date on anti-virus, malware protection and every other form of security available, then yes it is YOUR fault that you got a virus. There are literally millions of computers on the interweb today that act as zombies for hackers because fuckwits were ignorant on safe computer operation.
No argument on most of what you opine. I use a USB thumb drive with a copy of Vista Ultimate, Zone Alarm Pro, and Avira Pro built in any time I'm online. Any hacks or malware attacks and that's as close as they get to my mainframe. I'll concede to your opinion that ultimately it's up to the individual to keep his computer free of malware.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

DangerClose
Ranger

Post by DangerClose »

Ok... that quickly went down hill... thanks for clearing it up. Yeah, the intent was not to get you raped. It was obvious that I had clicked the link at one time or another since I started the post. By forwarding the post to others, it should have been understood (but not recommended) that the link could be opened.

I'm sure you get tons of emails with fake spam and malware links - it was a note just passing along the fact that the RM site had been recently hacked as I'm sure a good portion of the traffic is driven from this site as well.

I'm not an internet doctor, I just play one on TV.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

DangerClose wrote:Ok... that quickly went down hill... thanks for clearing it up. Yeah, the intent was not to get you raped. It was obvious that I had clicked the link at one time or another since I started the post. By forwarding the post to others, it should have been understood (but not recommended) that the link could be opened.

I'm sure you get tons of emails with fake spam and malware links - it was a note just passing along the fact that the RM site had been recently hacked as I'm sure a good portion of the traffic is driven from this site as well.

I'm not an internet doctor, I just play one on TV.
It would probably help if you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537

Return to “The Mosh Pit”