Dismount & Convoy Training (A-stan) sought

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Dismount & Convoy Training (A-stan) sought

Post by BruteForce »

I have an NG co-worker prepping for deployment to the 'Stan and he's seeking any contacts that can provide training for (quoted): "Convoy and dismounted for humanitarian aid with high ranking officers". If you know of any OCONUS contacts (companies or individuals) that are qualified to train, please PM me.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: Dismount & Convoy Training (A-stan) sought

Post by The Holmchicken »

BruteForce wrote:I have an NG co-worker prepping for deployment to the 'Stan and he's seeking any contacts that can provide training for (quoted): "Convoy and dismounted for humanitarian aid with high ranking officers". If you know of any OCONUS contacts (companies or individuals) that are qualified to train, please PM me.

So...what exactly is he looking for? Convoy and dismounted training? If he can't find anyone overseas, he should go to http://www.awg.army.mil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, log in with AKO or CAC and look in the products folder. They have several presentations that he might want to look at.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

They should be going somewhere pre-deployment to certify, which will include train up. They should get plenty then.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

They have that for the State Dept going into Iraq? Just found out I'm a finalist for job with DOS on a PRT.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

panthersix wrote:They have that for the State Dept going into Iraq? Just found out I'm a finalist for job with DOS on a PRT.
I think the CRC's (Combat Readiness Centers) are available to you. I "think"...I can't say for sure.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I don't think I "need it" but was just trying to see what the train up might be like if I get the job.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

panthersix wrote:I don't think I "need it" but was just trying to see what the train up might be like if I get the job.
I doubt you do brother, but it is always helpful to get updated G2 on enemy TTP's and etc. Not a whole lot changed in the whole rotate from safe to semi and etc.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

IEDmagnet wrote:They should be going somewhere pre-deployment to certify, which will include train up. They should get plenty then.
I don't know if the situation applies to BruteForce's friend, but it is not at all uncommon for big Army to grab a squad sized element of Guard or Reserve (or even a non-deployable Regular unit), and rapidly deploy them to beef up an understrength Regular unit already in the field (That's how I found my way to Afghanistan a few years back). In those sorts of cases, the train-up is sorely lacking.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I was a USAF Air National Guard logistics planner in 2005 when I was "scooped up" to be a gunner for our JTAC teams in Ramadi. As luck would have it, my truck didn't have a turret! So I got to be a driver for a JTAC. My "train up" was a week at Picket assing around clearing buildings....when we weren't at the bowling alley....

So yeah, I could probably use some training, but really from what I saw in Ramadi with the IEDs, VBIEDs, and Enhanced IED's its pretty much a random thing....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

CloakAndDagger wrote:
IEDmagnet wrote:They should be going somewhere pre-deployment to certify, which will include train up. They should get plenty then.
I don't know if the situation applies to BruteForce's friend, but it is not at all uncommon for big Army to grab a squad sized element of Guard or Reserve (or even a non-deployable Regular unit), and rapidly deploy them to beef up an understrength Regular unit already in the field (That's how I found my way to Afghanistan a few years back). In those sorts of cases, the train-up is sorely lacking.
This is looking to be the case. They're going to Ft. Lewis for a very quick train-up, then off to the sandbox for a year. I think (its tough to reach him) they're certain to be in harm's way and are looking to reinforce any lacking training.
US Army 1986 - 1994
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Updated to add: They're leveraging the CRC at Ft. Lewis, but their CO/XO would like additional hands-on training onsite (OCONUS). They're willing/able to fund this training and would prefer documented/authorized training, but are also happy to have any willing knuckle-draggers that have BTDT train them (so they can remain vertical).
US Army 1986 - 1994
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Ft. Lewis had (probably still does) some decent simulator-based training: one set-up is a scenario-based weapons/markmanship trainer, another is for convoy/mounted reaction training (and possibly expanded further, by now). Unfortunately, I've been away from the Army for a little while now, so the names of the training sites are slipping my mind. I'm sure there is somebody on this site with more current knowledge to pass on.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Cloak: Thanks for the replies. They're still looking for on-site (OCONUS) hands-on training (above and beyond what Ft. Lewis will offer). They're willing to fund if necessary, this training.
US Army 1986 - 1994
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

BruteForce wrote:Cloak: Thanks for the replies. They're still looking for on-site (OCONUS) hands-on training (above and beyond what Ft. Lewis will offer). They're willing to fund if necessary, this training.

They should get the opportunity for left seat/right seat training when they arrive. I know from my own experience that it can't be counted on (case in point...we received spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch in Iraq due to a surge mission). It's probably beating a dead horse, and I'm not trying to insult anyones intelligence, but just tell them to absorb as much as they can from the guys on the ground already...and learn quick with the OJT stuff. The enemy unfortunately has a way of letting you know if your screwing up by the numbers.

Hiring people from outside makes me nervous. A lot of those guys, know and teach what worked while they were in theater. That would be like me teaching what worked in 2005 or 2007. If it's been a year or two, it's likely to be just enough to get you dead. Especially considering that the enemy changes their TTPs like we change underwear. I hope they find something suitable, or at bare minimum learn without taking casualties. Trucks and parts can be replaced, ramp ceremonies suck. I pray for speed, knowledge, and skill...and that they send more of those bastards home to their paradise (and may all 72 of their virgins have herpes).
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

Return to “The Mosh Pit”