Armstrong Pull up vs. Recon Ron pull up

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Cisco4711
US Army

Armstrong Pull up vs. Recon Ron pull up

Post by Cisco4711 »

Hello Rangers,

I was wondering if any of you have ever tried any of the plans mentioned to increase your pull up? Which one yielded better results?

I read Ranger Bill's post about 3 max sets and Ranger Oto-Man's Russian Breakdown routine, but I was wondering if there's other choices that might yield even better results?

By the way, I can now do 6 Dead hang chin ups.
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Armstrong Pull up vs. Recon Ron pull up

Post by Ranger Bill »

There are more ways to exercise than you can shake a stick at, and no shortage of programs to improve pull-up performance and which one is best. What works best for someone else may not be best for you. What you should so is stick with whatever your choice is for at least a few weeks and keep a log to measure your performance and set goals.

You can do six now and that is good. Progress on pull-ups often comes slow. Sometimes it can take a week or two or more to get one more full rep, so count a half rep as progress. A novel approach for you might be to practice some static holds. Get it the top position and hold it for as long as you can, rest and hold your self in a half-way up position for as long as you can. When you start to fail, struggle against gravity with all your might as your weight takes you down.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
JD2010
Egg

Post by JD2010 »

Prior to USMC OCS at Quantico I used the Armstrong program. It works. I maxed out my pull-ups without issue. Just stick with it. It takes a bit of time and it could be a while before you see real progress, but stick with it and reap the rewards.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:How about the Gravitron 2000

Only problem is that the gravitron weight stack isn't heavy enough for me.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Return to “About Army Physical Training”