Got Back From MEPS Today

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Got Back From MEPS Today

Post by Liquid Confusion »

Did well on the ASVAB: 89 AFQT, 126 GT, 118 FA don't remember the rest
those are the 3 numbers that were important to me. The rest of MEPS did'nt go so well though.

Before I went to MEPS I expected and my recruiter told me it was likely that I would have to go to a ortho consul. See I snapped my right femur in a car accident about 3 1/2 years ago and had a rod installed in my femur and 2 screws, 1 in hip, 1 above knee to hold the rod in place. All of which is still in my leg. Since I have healed I have had no negative consequences b/c of the surgery, can run, jump, lift weights, play basketball all as if I had never broke my leg. I was hoping this fact could get me around the consul and right into MOS selection, but nope.

So now my recruiter is trying to get me a time to get this ortho consul done. He tells me it is possible I can get past this and move on with no waivers or limitations. Hopefully this week I will know for sure.

So for now this story is only half complete. I hope to update it with the results on the consul and soon my MOS and shipdate.

btw for those yet to go to MEPS I got NO sleep last night in the MEPS hotel and alot of the people I talked to had the same story.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

i doubt very seriously you get an airborne contract.

we'll see.

as far as the consult, you'll be fine.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Rgr, SFC hit_it.

Been kinda expecting that as the ultimate result, though of course I never get a straight answer only a "I once saw a guy..." stories. I did not decide to join the Army b/c of, or only to join ABN or Rangers. I actually only started really learning about them after I had already made up my mind to enlist.

I will get what I can, but I do not have unreal expectations.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Had my consul this morning, and the Doc signed off. Said my bone was healed, I have full range of motion and no pain so everything was a go. Since I have the rod though I will still need a medical waiver as per regulations. Now I have to wait for my waiver and MEPS to sign off on it, hopefully giving me a 1.

I still do not understand Army thinking in requiring the waiver. The Rod is titanium and something else in my body would break long before that fucking rod ever gives.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

That is the Army so get use to it.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Liquid Confusion wrote:Had my consul this morning, and the Doc signed off. Said my bone was healed, I have full range of motion and no pain so everything was a go. Since I have the rod though I will still need a medical waiver as per regulations. Now I have to wait for my waiver and MEPS to sign off on it, hopefully giving me a 1.

I still do not understand Army thinking in requiring the waiver. The Rod is titanium and something else in my body would break long before that fucking rod ever gives.
i agree but say you fall from a great distance(jumpin') and ladn fucked up.

that rod is gonna shift and fuck up the very sensitive bone and muscle mass it neighbors. resulting in one seriously fucked up young stud.

we'll see what happens.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

Liquid,

Consider this. Your body is constantly growing, healing, reparing itself. If a weakness appears in one of your bones, your body will takes neccesary steps to strengthen and heal it. Just as cells in your body grow old, become weak, and decay, the body also replaces these cells, constantly fortifying itself where neccesary. Man-made implications have no such function. That is, if a rod, plate, pin, screw, etc becomes weak, or loosens, it only continues to deteriorate. For this reason, you can hear many physicians who are of the opinion that it is only a matter of time before pins, screws, rods need to be replaced or removed. They are not afforded the same growing and healing mechanisms your body is. Just because titanium is strong does not mean that it can never loosen after years of growth and change within your body.

That being said, best of luck.
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

If that leg breaks and goes into your femoral artery you are sooooooooooooo fucked. Your parents will win the SGLI sweepstakes.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

If you can help me understand something SFC hit_it:

I have read reg 40-501 standards of medical fitness, and it says its for induction/enlistment as well as everything else so I am assuming that these are the same rules the job counselor's are following. Or am I incorrect?

If I am correct, in my assumption, and I have read the chapter covering ABN, Ranger and Special Forces training, I am interested to know what experience you had. What I am asking is just information re: what the job counselor may try to bullshit me w/, or even telling me the truth about. Cause even though I have read the regulations, I doubt I properly understand it.

For instance I read chapter 5 to mean that I can qualify or can't qualify, all depending on how one wants to interpret chapter 5-3 f #9. Or to ask this question another way, you have said there is a small chance I can qualify, what would that small chance be.

btw I understand anything dangerous may be a little more dangerous for me b/c of my previous injury, but I would rather break myself and know then never try and always wonder. And thus why I ask the original question of this post. (oh and this whole post is also assuming I get waivered and a 1 in lower extrem.)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

here's the KISS* method:

you can only recieve those options if you have a picket fence in your PULHES.

the only time i have seen people get away with it is the eyes. some people may have a 2 in the PULHES under the E section.

That is not in 40-501. most of that regulation covers people ALREADY serving. only one sections covers ENLISTMENT ELIGIBILITY. if you are reading that reg for the ABN, RGR, SF physical qualifications, STOP. you are IN the Army yet.

Guidance Counselors may not write anyone into ABN, RGR, SF if the require any medical waiver to clear the physical. what happens when you have been in the Army is why 40-501 is worded the way it is.

now you could pass the consult and not require your stuff to be sent to Doc Wong. if that happens you're good to go.

* KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bell

Post by Bell »

Doc Wong is an ass. I fought him for two years and finally won on the third appeal getting Dud into the Army.

Doc Wong should invite me for coffee because we almost know each other. He won't though. I won and he's pissed. Dud's happy though. Hahahahahhahaaa.

RLTW
Bell
TRLewis

Post by TRLewis »

Anyone know Doc Cheney in charlotte?
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Doc Wong is an ass.
totally fucking concur.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

SFC Hit_It, if I may ask yet another question: Was told if I get this rod removed it would tdq me for 6 months? Is this correct? I reread thru the regs I am aware of and can find nothing regarding this.

btw Ranger Bell you were right, I should have just yanked this rod out...thought i knew better, thought it wasnt necessary. Had to learn the hard way.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

true. you would be DQ'ed for 6 months.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”