Aldred - Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

etaldred
Egg

Aldred - Introduction

Post by etaldred »

First off, I would like to extend my deepest level of heartfelt gratitude to all of the soldiers and rangers who spend their free time advising and informing individuals like myself on everything they will need to prepare themselves for success. Thank you. My name is Eric and I am 26 years old from Portland, OR and the proud husband of a strong, sexy,and supportive wife and father to a beautiful 2 year old with another child on the way. I graduated from from Portland State with a double major in Architecture and American History in 2009. Unlike many other individuals who have introduced themselves, I did not start my voyage towards enlisting as a ranger hopeful. My initial goals were to be selected to OCS and sign an 09S contract with the hopes of ranking at the top (or near it) of the OML so I could secure a slot in the engineering branch. After making the decision to prepare my packet, I was fully aware that I needed to become physically qualified to have my packet submitted, as academically and morally I was qualified. After playing 2 years of football under scholarship at Portland State, I let my PT go - a lot, to the tune of 305 pounds. even though i am 6'3", I had become a lazy fat ass!

So I did what I always do when I am to start out on something difficult and long in scope - I researched and formulated an effective plan. I stumbled across armyocs.com and started to read. I am no stranger to PT, so as I was reading stories from people in similar positions, crossfit was mentioned more often than not and it struck my curiosity. I wanted something that was going to smoke me, and from the countless murph and fran videos I watched (read:pukie), and from the advice that Grumble and Grunt (who posts here regularly and is a moderator at armyocs), I contacted my local Crossfit affiliate, immediately signed up for onramp, shifted to a strict paleo diet and got to work. As I write this I have lost a total of 80lbs of fat, and dropped 14% body fat (from 35% down to 21%) since the end of July 2009. I am fast becoming a CF hardened man, and have become a full fledged CF addict. In fact, I am writing this intro from my laptop in between WOD's at the Crossfit games regional qualifier here in PDX.

To make a long story short, OCS slots evaportated by the time that I was physically qualified to apply for OCS. In fact, the day that I got the G2G from MEPS and I sat down with the counselor, I was told that there were no OCS slots available and the boards in our area were canceled until further notice. The people that ended up getting contracts were not shipping out for 8 months to a year from swear in date! I waited a month, and after long discussions with my wife, I decided to enlist as a 68W with an option 40 in my contract on February 2nd. OCS isn't going anywhere, and is still a goal of mine, but I feel I have made the right call and I am confident in my decision.

Over this journey I have come to believe that I have what it takes to go to ranger school. Quit doesn't exist in my vocabulary. A code of Honor is what I live my life by. Integrity guides all of my decisions. Hard work and determination to succeed under all circumstances is paramount to how I live and guide my family. All of these traits will be mastered during the journey I have set forth for my family and myself, and I would be honored if you would accept me into this community.

Rangers lead the way!

PS - PT scores as of 2 weeks ago:
PU - 65
SU - 61
Pullups - 8
2M run - 15:01
5M run - 42:03

I don't ship until September, and I have added 2-3 days per week of CF endurance on top of my 2-3 METCON, 2-3 AMRAP and 2 strength WOD schedule. I fully expect to have an APFT of over 270 before then.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Aldred - Introduction

Post by Earthpig »

etaldred wrote:Over this journey I have come to believe that I have what it takes to go to ranger school.
Eric,

Thanks for your interest in the Ranger Community and in serving our country. Just to clarify for you, Option 40 assures you a shot at RASP, which if passed will assign you to the 75th Ranger Regiment. Ranger School is a school that you may or may not be afforded the chance to attend, down the road.

Also, around here we capitalize the first "R" in Ranger.

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your desire to serve as a Ranger.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
etaldred
Egg

Post by etaldred »

EarthPig wrote:
etaldred wrote:Over this journey I have come to believe that I have what it takes to go to ranger school.
Eric,

Thanks for your interest in the Ranger Community and in serving our country. Just to clarify for you, Option 40 assures you a shot at RASP, which if passed will assign you to the 75th Ranger Regiment. Ranger School is a school that you may or may not be afforded the chance to attend, down the road.

Also, around here we capitalize the first "R" in Ranger.

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Thank you for the clarification
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

etaldred wrote:
Ranger EarthPig, thank you for the clarification

I know you haven't gotten the ROE yet, but just a heads up...

Good luck in your training. You still have a ways to go. CrossFit is great but don't forget the cardio. Welcome to the site...
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and congratulations for enlisting to serve our country and Rangers as an Army Ranger Medic. Best of luck to you with "luck" meaning preparedness meeting opportunity. You have the opportunity, now it's up to you to get prepared. You've got some work to do on PT, but it seems you have a plan. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “Introduction Archive”