Interested in an AR-15

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
PVT Wendt
Embryo

Interested in an AR-15

Post by PVT Wendt »

Right now, I'm thinking of buying a weapon i have the pieces mainly picked out just wanted some input on some of the parts i'm getting. I'll list them on here

Rifle: Stag Arms Stag-15 2T with quad rail
RIS: ARMS #50CV SIR
Grip: Magpul MOE Grip
Optics: EOtech 557 with a EOtech G23 right behind it on a pivotal mount
Foregrip: a tangodown of somesort not to sure yet.

Feel free with input, this will be my first AR-15 and would like something that does good at planking and some hunting. Thanks all.
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Interested in an AR-15

Post by RangerX »

IMHO ARs are not a good hunting rifle. You'd be better off with a Remington 700 or a Savage in .308 for taking game. to take down something serious with an AR, you better be a damn good shot and know where the vital organs are on the game you hunt.

Stag makes a decent rifle which will be just fine for "plinking".

Right now you have more money listed in Barbie add-ons than the rifle itself. If you are just looking for a goof-off gun, you can get similar functionality for a lot less money by looking around.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
M60
Ranger

Post by M60 »

I would suggest buying a Bushmaster or Rock River complete AR. You can spend around a grand or less, find out if you like the setup and either modify your existent rifle (if you like it) or sell and be no worse for wear. In the state I live .223 is illegal for big game, for good reason.

M60
1/75 Co. A, 2nd Plt, Weapons squad. 1975-1977

I still miss my old M-60. She was heavy and could be temperamental, but I loved that gun...
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Where you are in life, why bother with anything that isn't a collectable?
If you get through MEPS to where you want to go, your Uncle will loan you some cool bang-bang sticks with all the latest toys, buy you the ammo & send you hunting in exotic locales with it.
Save your bucks & plink with a 10-22 or something.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
PVT Wendt
Embryo

Post by PVT Wendt »

As i said i was going to use it for hunting, i wasn't referring to big game. I was more or less referring to a varmint hunter, like out here in KS we have way to many prairie dogs, Maybe sometime down the road i'll go to texas and try hunting some wild boar with it. then i mean other then that its a planking gun. I was going to use that rail so i could elevate the scope over the flip-up sights without having to flip them down, so if the battery ever died on me i could simply just resort to the flip ups. but i may go without the RIS for now, and get just the rifle, the EOtech 557, and the front flip up sight, to see how i like it. And from there think of if i need the RIS. Thank you all for the help.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

You can start by looking here:

Report this postReply with quote Re: Introduction PVT Wendt
by cams » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 am

JLTW!!! wrote:
The force is strong with this one.

Young padawan, slow down...breathe...address members on this sight properly...and for GRITS sake, UTILIZE THE SEARCH BUTTON.
Bravo57 wrote:
Or you will go away.
Cams wrote:
Please also utilize proper spelling/punctuation. You're not asking a group of high school kids for help on Facebook or Yahoo, these are real, hardened, professional soldier's, remember that.

Attention to detail will aid you greatly in your quest young man. And that can start right here, right now.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
PVT Wendt
Embryo

Post by PVT Wendt »

I will try my best Ranger Cams. I can't promise to much in proper sentence structuring, it has always been my downfall. As with breaking up paragraphs. But, i will try my best to use proper grammar while I'm here.
Thank you, for heads up on that one again, Ranger Cams. I will be more careful next time.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

PVT Wendt wrote:I will try my best Ranger Cams. I can't promise to much in proper sentence structuring, it has always been my downfall. As with breaking up paragraphs. But, i will try my best to use proper grammar while I'm here.
Thank you, for heads up on that one again, Ranger Cams. I will be more careful next time.
Much better young man. No one's asking for perfection in sentence structure and such, just pay attention to small details, i.e. CAPS when needed, making sure you're addressing Rangers properly, etc.

Trust me when I say, these small details are not nit-picking you, but covering every small detail in your upcoming entrance into the Service WILL absolutely save you headaches and problems on your field exercises as well as garrison life as a young soldier.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CWeber
Ranger

Post by CWeber »

Kansas huh. Your accent is coming through the interweb. "Plinking" not "planking" attention to detail, Ranger X gave you a subtle hint. I'm not being so subtle. The Stag 2T will work just fine for what you want to do with it.
B. Co. 3/75 92-94
Wpns Plt.
RS 10/93

-Only dead fish follow the stream-

Return to “Weapons of War”