Proud Papa

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
McD
Ranger

Proud Papa

Post by McD »

Well I decided to go with the M&P9L (5" barrel). Picked it up over the week end and ran a couple hundred Winchester White Box through it with out a glitch. Of course it was cleaned and well lubed prior. It will take a little bit to get use to the trigger and to smooth/break everything in, especially the trigger. It is quite accurate and I shot pretty damn well with it. So much so I'm going to shoot the IDPA classifier this weekend with it so I can have a classification in SSP. Might be tweaking things but for right now it is very nice. I also got a close out Comp-Tac holster from Midway for $40 (was $70).

Here are a couple of his brothers: XD 45 and my Spartan 1911

And the Hollywood shot with my "Damn It Stump" from the Gator lounge:

C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Proud Papa

Post by K.Ingraham »

Just joined the local range, you're going to have to get over to this side of town so we's can play with our toys.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I don't have any matches for those particular pistols but I do have the same cleaning mat.

BTW nice trio.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Congratulations Dad, I see you have triplets!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

I love S & W Autos, carried a 5906 Tactical for several years on patrol, loved it, shot great, just was never to happy with the magazine disconnect function. I have looked at that model, feels nice. Since I am changing jobs and moving out into the sticks, I am thinking about picking up a fullsize (currently carry Glock 19 or my snubnose .38) for some serious range time. Thinking about Glock 17 but may look harder at the S &W.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

I like the XD myself. Just picked up my first Glock (19) last weekend. Going to the range tomorrow to knock the rust off my trigger finger.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

colt1rgr wrote:I love S & W Autos, carried a 5906 Tactical for several years on patrol, loved it, shot great, just was never to happy with the magazine disconnect function. I have looked at that model, feels nice. Since I am changing jobs and moving out into the sticks, I am thinking about picking up a fullsize (currently carry Glock 19 or my snubnose .38) for some serious range time. Thinking about Glock 17 but may look harder at the S &W.
Funny how opinions differ from one side to the other. We were carrying the S/W 9mm yrs ago, then switched to the S/W Tactical .40, worst fucking gun I ever carried/fired. Ours was DA only, could be the difference, but it was really bad. I never liked the magazine disconnect either. We were so happy to get rid of them and go to the Sig 226 in .40.

Nice collection McD! Family size fries to go with it Brother? :wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
krm375
Ranger

Post by krm375 »

I have heard good things about the SW M&P series.
I have no experience with them, but I carry the Glock 17 daily, I can say that the Glock functions 99.9% of the time as delivered. I carry it at work so I bought one to train with, and then I bought the 26 to carry and then I bought the 19 to have at home. One Glock 17 mag will insert into the 17 , 19, and 26. Easy decision buy all Glock 17 mags for back up to the primary that is in the gun, no matter what gun I have the 17 mags will fit and give extra firepower.
I do not like the plastic grips of the Glock, so I add the Decal grip ( skateboard tape) to my work pistol and I get such a better grip on it.
Bco 1st platoon, Weapons Squad, 1st Squad, Bco Training, 3/75 93-00
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

krm375 wrote:I have heard good things about the SW M&P series.
I have no experience with them, but I carry the Glock 17 daily, I can say that the Glock functions 99.9% of the time as delivered. I carry it at work so I bought one to train with, and then I bought the 26 to carry and then I bought the 19 to have at home. One Glock 17 mag will insert into the 17 , 19, and 26. Easy decision buy all Glock 17 mags for back up to the primary that is in the gun, no matter what gun I have the 17 mags will fit and give extra firepower.
I do not like the plastic grips of the Glock, so I add the Decal grip ( skateboard tape) to my work pistol and I get such a better grip on it.
Didn't know that about the Glock. Good gig.

A couple buddies I shoot with absolutely love their M&P 9's. They have been doing pretty well in the production division of USPSA and in SSP (I think) division in IDPA. It's good to see traditional American firearms companies have finally come up with polymer products to compete with Glock.

The STI Spartan is a great 1911, and one of the best bangs for the bucks 1911's out there IMO. Everyone I have seen come out of Dave Dawson's shop has been well put together, and has had ZERO issues. I bought a Spartan as a back up competition gun, but like it so much, I made it my main.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Well, I'm 5-600 rounds into breaking in the M&P. Trigger is getting better but I may still work it a little. It has a very natural (for me) Point of Aim. Zero malfunctions so far . Interesting that I shoot best (tighter groups) with the Small backstrap even though I have fairly large hands. Groups improved markedly when I put the small strap on. Reinforces the effect that Grip has on accuracy!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Return to “Weapons of War”