I got to meet one too EP...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

cams
Ranger/Moderator

I got to meet one too EP...

Post by cams »

...but this one was a poser.

Im bad about getting names, etc, as I generally go right to the "get the fuck away from me" point when I'm drinking. If I see him again, I'll try and get a name/pic for the wall.

Saturday night, I'm in a bar with my girlfriend, couple other friends having a drink. I go to use the head and when I return some guy is talking to "our group" if you will. I say hi on my approach and overhear talk of being in the military, "I was in the 82nd, blah blah blah", is all I could make out.

I shake his hand, introduce myself, he ask's if I was in. I tell him when and where, and he say's, "Oh I was a Ranger too, at 2nd Batt."

Me: "No shit! Hey welcome man." as I reach for my coin. Something just wasn't sitting right with me.

Him: "You're NOT going to coin me are you?!"

Me: "Fucking right I am." and throw it at his feet. He has no coin. I ask him a question or two, he has no answers for me. Just says he's a dummy and can't remember. I ask when he was in Batt. He say's 06-08.

Me: "Hmmm, what's the Third stanza of the Ranger Creed?"

Him: "I don't know that. Really man, I was there. But I'm a dummy, I don't remember that."

I'm giving him every benefit of a doubt, maybe the kid (*about 30-35 yrs old, another red flag for those yrs in Batt unless he's a Senior NCO which clearly he was not, had no command presence whatsoever) has TBI and just doesn't recall details.

Maybe I have a little too much Scotch flowing thru my veins, it's late on a Saturday night. No, fuck that, not the Creed. No way. It's too burnt into our heads.

Me: "Let me get this right, you were in 2nd Batt from 06-08, and you don't know the Third Stanza of the Ranger Creed? No? How 'bout the First one? Not ringing a bell huh? Guess what, get the fuck away from me."

If this was any type of Ranger, he would've punched me in the head right there, then we could've drank together and discussed it more.

Him: (almost begging): "No really I was!" and keeps trying to convince me. Pretty calmly I say, "Dude seriously, get the fuck away from me."

My girl is smart, she heard where it was going and distanced herself and kept watch on my 6. She's a good'un.

So he walks away, all dejected. Then he comes back about 10 minutes later, I'm thinking he must've gathered up the sack to call me out now as he's toting a couple of friends behind him. One of 'em a big sumbitch too, dude looked like a fucking linebacker. He (poser) approaches, looking all kinda pissed off, I turn to him, put my beer down, steady myself for a bums rush, , breath, breath....he starts pretty much begging me again to believe him and the big dude just kept on walking. He wasn't even with him. Phew. 8)

Long story but funny nonetheless. Kid left all upset. Idiot.

Such is the story of the Everyday Barroom Poser. They sure keep it interesting.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “The Mosh Pit”