Felonies, Recruiters and confusion

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Felonies, Recruiters and confusion

Post by Liquid Confusion »

Just to give a little background: When i was 20 I got a DWI. When I went to court my Lawyer got me the nolle prosequi (spelling?) deal. Which if I completed all the requsites of my probation meant the DWI would be expunged from my record and I would never have to list it on a job application etc. I completed probation as ordered.

Now before I went to a recruiter I had searched the internet to find as much information as I could, general specific etc. I read about secret clearances about lying to recruiters recruiters lying and unfortunates trying to shortcut the system and getting a world of hurt. I told the recruiter early in my visit along with a few other juvi. and physical issues so as the recruiter knew exactly where I stood. He didnt make a big deal out of any of it, told me he would get the necessary docs. and get me in MEPS later this week (I saw him on Mon.).

He called me earlier today teling me the docs. would take a little longer then he expected and no MEPS this week. Then he told me he couldnt find my DWi on my record, saying he only found a traffic ticket from late last year (which was dismissed). And he asked me how I felt about only going with this (the traffic ticket). NOw of course he never told me to lie but it seemed as if he was saying I could get away with never telling the Army about my DWI. I told him I wasnt comfortable with that cause I had read about the Army finding crap like that. He said ok we will go with a self- admittal or something like that.

Now my question is (sry this is kinda long winded) should I look for a new recruiter? I dont like my recruiter asking me a question like that, but I cant say for sure where he was coming from. THough to me it it makes me wonder just who interests this guy has first. I dunno so am asking those with experince or a little insight to help me out. Other then answering questions is the recruiter that important in this process? Should I just keep my head down and worry about what is in my contract and that I am honest? am i not seeing something here?
any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

I got a Avatar sry was thinking about my question more then the rules of the board.
SRR2R
Tadpole

Post by SRR2R »

lucidconfusion.,

Good job on posting a proper introduction and selecting an appropriate avatar. Just in case you missed the FAQ's, they're here: http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewforum. ... e1a4f109eb . These of course include rules and regulations as well as answers to many frequently asked questions that will save you a lot of smoke. You may know all this; I don't mean to patronize, just better safe than sorry.

Good luck with your situation. I hope that honesty and your best interest can both be successfully reconciled. I look forward to reading the response to your inquiry.
"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier..." - Samuel Johnson

From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force.
-Matthew 11:12
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

I had a charge on my record that was nolle'd. I didnt need a waiver or anything, but I didnt try to hide it and I suggest you dont either.

Do you believe they destroyed your finger print records and all documents of the arrest? Maybe.. I doubt it though.

Do the right thing. It pays in the end.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

you don't sound like you need another recruiter....yet.

he was trying to keep it simple on his part. your gut was right. but since he didn't try to talk you out of it, you have no need to go elsewhere right now.

now, understand this. a self admittal means you will have to get a moral waiver. that does not make you INELGIBLE for a OP40. however, someone may try to throw that in your face at MEPS when one isn't available.

do what you need to do.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Where's the felony part?

I had two DUI's in a week at 16, with the second involving a police pursuit...got a month and a half in juvie for that... 8)

DEPs, this was given as an example of what NOT to do

:twisted:
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Thanks alot SFC_Hit_It, I was hoping you would reply with your insight. I did'nt want to make any accusations, my recruiter seems like a decent guy, and I very much appreciate you helping me to see my situation from one who knows about these things.
Montgomery Burns
Embryo

Re: Felonies, Recruiters and confusion

Post by Montgomery Burns »

[quote="Liquid Confusion"]Just to give a little background: When i was 20 I got a DWI. When I went to court my Lawyer got me the nolle prosequi (spelling?) deal. Which if I completed all the requsites of my probation meant the DWI would be expunged from my record and I would never have to list it on a job application etc. I completed probation as ordered.
[quote]

I had a possesion of marijuana charge on my recored. Went back to the judge told him my situation and he was willing to work with me on that. So he reopend my case and had the possesion "expunged" off of my record. That really did nothing for me. My recruiter still had to do a waiver just for the charge. This is what he told me. I dont know if it is the same for DWI's or anything like that. So just talk to your recruiter or talk to the recruiters on goarmy.com, they will help you out alot.
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on July 15th, 2004, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

it's the same for any charge that would require a waiver.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”