Concealed guns law rejected in close Senate vote

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Concealed guns law rejected in close Senate vote

Post by 289sotherhalf »

WASHINGTON – The Senate on Wednesday rejected letting people carry hidden guns in 48 states if they have a concealed weapon permit in any one of them, a rare victory for gun control advocates in a Democratic-controlled Congress that has been friendly to the gun lobby.

Opponents said it would force states with tough concealed weapon permit restrictions to let in gun carriers from states that give permits to convicted criminals, minors and people with no firearms training.

"It's extremely dangerous policy," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., noting that her state demands fingerprinting, federal background checks, a course of training, and verification by a local sheriff before issuing a permit to carry a concealed gun.

Full Story
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Concealed guns law rejected in close Senate vote

Post by RangerX »

Actually what I find interesting is how close it came to passing. Only missed it by two votes.

What is odd, is that the NRA didn't put a lot of effort into pumping this up. I usually get about 15,000 emails in the days & weeks leading up to legislation like this.

For this...nada.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

RangerX wrote: What is odd, is that the NRA didn't put a lot of effort into pumping this up. I usually get about 15,000 emails in the days & weeks leading up to legislation like this.

For this...nada.
Maybe the 10th Amendment had something to do with it. As nice as this bill seemed it kind of walked all over state sovereignty which I find myself believing in more and more everyday. I am not sure this law, if passed, would be constitutionally legal.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

So in this case states laws are a bad thing?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

This is a state issue and Im glad it didn't pass for that reason alone.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Looon wrote:This is a state issue and Im glad it didn't pass for that reason alone.
Ditto. Once you open that door, it don't close. No need to have the Republicans doing it too.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

289sotherhalf wrote:noting that her state demands fingerprinting, federal background checks, a course of training, and verification by a local sheriff before issuing a permit to carry a concealed gun.
Isn't this the norm for most states? I'd be interested in knowing what (if any) states issue CC permits to anyone who pays the fee.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:
289sotherhalf wrote:noting that her state demands fingerprinting, federal background checks, a course of training, and verification by a local sheriff before issuing a permit to carry a concealed gun.
Isn't this the norm for most states? I'd be interested in knowing what (if any) states issue CC permits to anyone who pays the fee.

In Alabama it's called a "Pistol permit".
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I think most states have reciprocity and recognition agreement programs with other states. This law would have just been a stepping stone for the growth of Federal gun control powers. What gets me is that the articles I have read, concerning the failure of this law to pass, have contributed it to growing anti-gun sentiment. Once again, there is a demonstration of the medias failure to understand what they are writing about.
Last edited by Flesh Thorn on July 24th, 2009, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Flesh Thorn wrote: Once again, there is a demonstration of the medias failure to understand what they are righting about.
Or maybe it's their ability to shape the argument for the radicals?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Although I 100 percent support concealed license laws, I was glad to see this fail.

Some county agencies hand out these permits like ketchup packets at McDonalds ! :shock:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Bloomberg went on the air and said that it was an anti-police, pro-criminal, pro-gun trafficker bill.

What a fucking imbecile. Sometimes I'm amazed at how stoooopid these politicians are. Other times I'm just amazed at how stooopid they are. :roll:

Dumbfuck.
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

BadMuther wrote:Bloomberg went on the air and said that it was an anti-police, pro-criminal, pro-gun trafficker bill.

What a fucking imbecile. Sometimes I'm amazed at how stoooopid these politicians are. Other times I'm just amazed at how stooopid they are. :roll:

Dumbfuck.

100 percent agreement. Bloomberg is a total dumbfuck.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

RANGER513 wrote:Although I 100 percent support concealed license laws, I was glad to see this fail.

Some county agencies hand out these permits like ketchup packets at McDonalds ! :shock:
Since the 2nd Amendment gives everyone the right to protect themselves, I see nothing wrong with this. Some states allow everyone to carry concealed, without a permit at all. This goes back to who do you trust, fellow citizens, or the government. I'm not that worried about fellow citizens. In our past there were folks carrying guns everywhere, up until fairly modern times. There wasn't that big of a problem then. Ben Franklin summed it up, "an armed society is a polite society". Even the "wild west" was not that wild. Dodge City, in its worse year, had a murder rate of 5.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The News Dump”