Central Cord Syndrome

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Central Cord Syndrome

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

CHCB wrote:full range of motion came back a couple months ago. Winning the battle against 6 months of atrophy now, ran Myrtle Beach marathon, slower than I wanted, but fast enough not to be ashamed of it. Swam 600 yards last Friday.

Can't wait to see the neurosurgeon again and tell him to KISS MY ASS!
Excellent. Just goes to show quitting never gets you anywhere but a FUCK YOU I can do it attitude wins the day.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

CHCB wrote:full range of motion came back a couple months ago. Winning the battle against 6 months of atrophy now, ran Myrtle Beach marathon, slower than I wanted, but fast enough not to be ashamed of it. Swam 600 yards last Friday.

Can't wait to see the neurosurgeon again and tell him to KISS MY ASS!
Awesome, I just took a patient in a week ago with the exact same injury. I had never seen it before and treated it as a high spinal chord, C3 and C4, injury from a similar accident. I just followed up yesterday and stopped in to visit the patient and ran into the neuro. He told me that patients usually recover 100% from the injury.

Quick question, did you have a temporary paralysis that resolved in a few minutes. After that did you get a burning in your arms and legs that seemed to move around between the extremities?

I had never seen this before this patient and am wondering if these symptoms are normal. And for any of the medical professionals what about prehospital treatment, would there be a benefit to high dose steroids in this type of injury? I know we are getting away from that prehospital and the likelihood of seeing this again is pretty slim, but I would like to be prepared if it comes my way again.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

I had complete paralysis of the right arm to the wrist for weeks. I had burning and buzzing in both hands and both arms right away, which started fading after a few days. It was pretty constant, though. also, I had extreme sensitivity to cold in both hands which took a few months to go away.

Didn't get full range of motion back until late December (6 months after the injury). Right thumb and outside of right upper arm still numb 10 months after the injury.

Question now is determining where atrophy stops and permanent loss begins. Level of strength between various motions varies widely. Haven't plateaued in any exercise, yet, though.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79

Return to “Medical Issues”