Push-up workout plan

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Dave16
Embryo

Push-up workout plan

Post by Dave16 »

Hello Rangers,

For the past two years or so I have been lifting weights pretty regularly, and my program worked quite well for me. Unfortunately, lifting weights doesn't mean a good PT score, so around February I switched my workouts over to working on push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. I would work-out each area until I came close to or reached failure, doing about 8 sets of pushups, 7 sets of situps, and 6 sets of pull-ups. I have seen some great improvement on all three areas, but I seem to have hit a block on my push-ups.

About 3 weeks ago, I realized my workout was no longer working out, :wink: , so I changed things up. I figured out what 70% of my max was, and I have been adding on one repetition each time I workout. This greatly improved the number of reps I was able to do on my last few sets, but on my first overall set, gave me little improvement.

My sit-ups keep skyrocketing, and a few days ago I began to think about what I do differently with sit-ups. I realize that if I do a set with 100+ situps, I do situps until I begin to feel tired, usually around 85 or so, take about a 2-3 second break in the up position, and then finish the set. I am thinking I may apply this to my pushups. Once I finish my set and am near to failure, I am thinking about putting a knee down for 3 seconds and then doing ten or so more pushups. I think I will keep adding one pushup to each set everyday that I do this workout. In between pushup sets I do situps, and when complete with 5 sets of each I do 5 sets of pullups, reaching failure each time.

I do this workout Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I run 5 miles usually 5 times during the week. I usually try to eat foods with protein after my workouts. What do you think about this workout plan? I have read the other topics on pushups and army workouts, but I am wondering what you think about this one in particular. I have read that it is a bad idea to go to failure all the time. Would it be better if, on Wednesday, I don't go until failure? I could do sets of 25 or 30 pushups instead on Wednesday.

For reference my APFT score is as follows:

Pushups: usually 67-72 in two minutes
Situps: 85 in two minutes
Run: 2 miles in 12:30
Pullups: 20

I want to be able max out my APFT in August. What I would really like is to be able to do 80+ push-ups in August.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Push-up workout plan

Post by Ranger Bill »

Opinions vary and what works best for one person may not work best for another. Since you can already do a decent number of push-ups in two minutes, my advice is to stop doing push-ups in sets and focus on increasing your reps in two minutes and do this every other day. Go until failure and when you reach failure, drop to your knees and do "girl push-ups" until failure. Write down how many push-ups you did until failure and how many "girl" ones you did. You should be able to add one good push-up almost every workout or at least every week. Keep a record so you can set a goal for each workout.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Dave16
Embryo

Post by Dave16 »

Ranger Bill,
So you're suggesting that I only do one set a day, maximum number until failure of regular and girl push-ups? That sounds like a pretty quick and simple workout. Could this also apply to sit-ups and pull-ups? I like the idea of completing my workout in 20 minutes.

Ranger Silverback,
I saw this topic earlier, but wasn't exactly sure if it would fit what I need. What week would you recommend I start on if I go with your plan? Do you do sit-ups and pull-ups in between sets, or afterward?
Dave16
Embryo

Post by Dave16 »

I ended up doing a workout consisting of diamond and elevated pushups, doing about 4-5 sets every other day, and I maxed out once a week. I'm at about 80 pushups or so in two minutes, and I can now do about 26 pullups. My situps are about the same.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Your improvements will come slower now that your numbers are better, so stick to it. Be certain you are using proper form. Is your problem with sit-ups that you run out of time or that you reach failure before time is up?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “About Army Physical Training”