Supreme Court upholds ban on gays in military

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

Supreme Court upholds ban on gays in military

Post by Silverback »

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court on Monday turned down a challenge to the Pentagon policy forbidding gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, granting a request by the Obama administration.

The court said it will not hear an appeal from former Army Capt. James Pietrangelo II, who was dismissed under the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

The federal appeals court in Boston earlier threw out a lawsuit filed by Pietrangelo and 11 other veterans. He was the only member of that group who asked the high court to rule that the Clinton-era policy is unconstitutional.

In court papers, the administration said the appeals court ruled correctly in this case when it found that “don’t ask, don’t tell” is “rationally related to the government’s legitimate interest in military discipline and cohesion.”

Full Article
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Supreme Court upholds ban on gays in military

Post by Silverback »

So how does this sit with the homosexual constituents of POTUS Obama? Didn't he promise them something???
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Silverback wrote:So how does this sit with the homosexual constituents of POTUS Obama? Didn't he promise them something???
Like everything that has gone wrong since Obama has taken charge, he will blame previous administrations. With Obama, it is "The buck stops there"
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

SF Chronicle wrote:I, as well as many others, have nicked at the wall, so to speak,'' said Holmes, who is a technical writer in Sacramento. ``Eventually it'll come tumbling down. It's just a matter of time and education for the general public.''
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... MN8503.DTL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

MTRANGER wrote:So what you are saying is that if you are openly gay, (and no I am not gay), you don't have the right to stand up and fight for the very freedom that allow you to be gay in this country.

I don't see what the difference on weather they are out of the closet or not, either they can preform to standards or they can't.
The problem is currently that the people fighting FOR the homosexuals cannot render a sound constitutionally based argument. Service to the country is not a "Right" which is constitutionally protected, so it's fought through tertiary arguments of "Freedom of speech" and "Right to privacy", neither of which is violated by the current policy (in the opinion of the court).
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

MTRANGER wrote:So constitutionally they don't have the right. I never looked at it from that side.

Edited to make sense

Constitutionally no one has the "Right" Gay, Straight or otherwise.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

TC204 wrote:So much for Janet Napolatano's dreams of joining the military :lol:

And that is your contribution to what could have been an intelligent conversation...thanks :roll:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I never really served with the opposite gender, but from all the annual classes that I went to, the way things were supposed to work were that it didn't matter what sex you were, everybody was equal and should be treated as such and discussions of a sexual nature were strictly forbidden, therefore being openly gay would obviously be in violation of said policies.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

Silverback wrote:So how does this sit with the homosexual constituents of POTUS Obama? Didn't he promise them something???
I'd have to say they're on the pole regarding that issue.

Too soon?
MCCC/SFDOQC (2011-present)
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08

Return to “The News Dump”