Ranger Orientation Program

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Caveman's_Kid
Soldier

Ranger Orientation Program

Post by Caveman's_Kid »

Hello Rangers,
I have been in contact with the Ranger Recruitment Team at DA, submitted my packet to be assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, and currently have a school date for Airborne School (still awaiting class date for ROP). Going over the packet, it is vague as to what I will be doing at ROP. Basically all I have been told is the following:

Pass a PT test in your current age group, 80% or better.
Do 6 chinups (palms facing you) directly after the PT test.
Run 5 miles in 40 minutes (8 minute per mile pace).
Road March, minimum of 35 pounds in ruck, plus personal gear.
RSAE for a minimum of 15 meters with gear.
Pass Ranger History & standards test with 80% or better.
Pysch Eval
Be selected from a board of Rangers for acceptance.

This is what I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

-The course is 25 days total, with 20 days of training. I'm at a loss as to where the five days go. I'm guessing the common day zero inprocessing, graduation, and out processing, I'm wondering where they all go.

-I don't have a jaded past, I've never sniffed glue, or grew around lead-based paint and abestos, or spent time on Ritalin. I asked around about the pysch eval, but didn't come up with much. The Rangers I do know couldn't really remember what was asked, and asking non-Rangers gets me weird responses like "I heard from a guy, who knew a guy, who was asked (insert something off the wall)." I asked around to my contacts at 75th Ranger Regiment and they said it shouldn't be an issue, that only very rarely do they ever hear/see of someone failing that test, and typically those people are easy to spot.

-What tactical skills should I be brushing up on in preperation (if need be) for ROP? My SF buddies told me that their SFAS was just a lengthly smoke fest, were they had to earn the right to head into the Q course through blood, sweat, and tears. Knowing that Rangers and SF have different missions, I don't want to mess up such a privilege as being able to head to the 75th Ranger Regiment. If I need to be breaking open some TM's and such I have time to do it, I just need to know which ones.

-Physically I've never felt better since I've been training for ROP. My PT score dropped from the 300's to 280's, however I wasn't thinking of swimming in gear, or road marching when all I had to care about physically was doing the 3 event PT test either. I've been told that if you can pass an event (road march, PT test, etc.) just pass it with a little over the minimum. That way I always have reserve left for the rest of the day's activities. Other people are telling me to bust my heart with each event, and hope to God I don't die. Which is the proper way?

-The board in which I appear before Rangers, are there do's and don'ts to the board? The only boards I've ever been to are the basic soldier of the month, NCO of the quarter, and promotion board types. I'm not sure this board will be any different, again I'm just wanting to better prepare myself.

I have a lot riding on this so I do apologize about the nature of these questions. I spent years wanting to be apart of something better then myself, and now that the oppurtunity has come around for me to work for the very best. I do not want anything to go wrong. With continued preperation I know I can make it, it's not going to be easy by any rights, I'm just looking for some guidance.

V/R,
~Christopher
"Per quislibet facultas necessarius"
~By Any Means Necessary
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Ranger Orientation Program

Post by Silverback »

Caveman's_Kid wrote: Going over the packet, it is vague as to what I will be doing at ROP.
It's vague on purpose and you have been told everything you need to know. Simple rules

1. Do not quit
2. Do not quit
3. Do not quit
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Ranger Orientation Program

Post by Bravo57 »

Caveman's_Kid wrote: I've been told that if you can pass an event (road march, PT test, etc.) just pass it with a little over the minimum. That way I always have reserve left for the rest of the day's activities. Other people are telling me to bust my heart with each event, and hope to God I don't die. Which is the proper way?
Read the Creed.

"I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. 100% and then some."
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “Recruitment Process”