Considering going ahead with DEP

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Considering going ahead with DEP

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I'm thinking that I might want to just go ahead and swear in and get a firm idea on a ship-date. However, I'd like to be able find a ship-date that would be agreeable to my family timetable.

This is certainly a big step for me, but there is no denying that it is perhaps an even bigger step for my family so I want to plan out everything as much as possible so that I can make it as smooth as possible for them. Possibly a Jan or Feb ship date.

So, here is the specific question. Given that I am going 11x/ABN/RIP, what are the possible ship-dates for 2005 that would enable me to ship after Jan, but before July? Obviously, I have to ship before July because I will turn 35 on the 2nd. But I also want to stay on long enough at my job so that I can get my annual bonus - which would come sometime during Jan or Feb. I think timing it to come as close to July as possible would be the best - so that I could store away some more financial cushion for my wife and family.

Thanks again for the help - I appreciate all the assistance that I've received here.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

When I went to MEPS in Feb. I told them I couldent ship until late June or July because I was under contract until then. I had to show them the contract. After that I was able to get the contract. Bottom line I believe is they need a documented reason not to give you the first available shipdate for your MOS.

No one will be able to tell you what dates you could possibly ship until you go down to MEPS.

gl

Aaron
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Fulano wrote:...I believe is they need a documented reason not to give you the first available shipdate for your MOS.
Documentation shouldn't be a problem.
Fulano wrote:No one will be able to tell you what dates you could possibly ship until you go down to MEPS.
This doesn't make any sense to me... why would me going down to MEPS have any bearing on the schedule? RIP will occur at certain intervals throughout the year, as will ABN and AIT and Basic, etc. Therefore, working backwards from the possible upcoming start dates for RIP, it could be easily determined what the options are for ship dates. They're not going to schedule RIP, ABN or OSUT just for me - they already know the schedule. I'm just asking what that schedule is - or perhaps I could just get pointed in the right direction to find out.
NoMoreRegrets
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

he gave you accurate info. use it.

recruiters have nothing to do with ship dates or jobs.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

NoMoreRegrets, i sent you a link in a PM that might help you out with what youre lookin for. 8)
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

hit_it wrote:he gave you accurate info. use it.
SFC hit_it, do you mean to say just go down to MEPS and ask there? I'm not sure what info. the he gave that I can use other than that. Will they be able to give me these answers before I sign/swear-in? I'm gung-ho to do it, don't get me wrong, but I want to be as smart about the transition as possible for the sake of my wife and children. That's my primary goal here, so if I need to take a drive then I'd be more than happy to.

Pfc_Oreo has provided me with a link to the ATRRS course database and schedule and it looks like I might be able to work backwards from RIP using that data. I looked for over 2 hours through AKO and none of the search terms that I put in ever came back with the site he provided, but I think it's going to do the trick. Is it OK to post the site here?
NoMoreRegrets
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Just fucking sign up for whatever time they can give you and start your planning. There is no such thing as a 'Perfect Time' to make a major change in your life like this. Just do it and get on with it.

Return to “Recruitment Process”