Long-Term Workout Program

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
bethebaud
Embryo

Long-Term Workout Program

Post by bethebaud »

Rangers,

I am looking for a long-term workout program to conduct over the summer months. After doing a few searches, I've found that most workouts posted online are geared more towards increasing body mass. I am looking for a daily program designed to increase cardio and muscular endurance. My current APFT numbers range from 12:00-12:30/2 mile run, 85-95 PU, 90-100 SU. Normally when working out I stick the same basic exercises and sometimes find myself doing more of what I feel like doing, as opposed to a more effective workout that would come from a regimented daily routine. If anyone has a daily workout they find effective or knows the best place to find one it would be a big help. Thanks.
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Long-Term Workout Program

Post by Nomad »

Did you check out our PT section?
bethebaud
Embryo

Post by bethebaud »

Ranger Nomand,

I did search through the section. I've taken and used good workouts that have been posted under the daily workout topic and other topics posted within the section. I was interested though in workouts in which each day is specified to build upon the previous day and each week specified to build upon the previous week. As far as long-term workouts such as that, I could not find much. I may just be completely missing it though. Sorry if my first post was unclear at all towards what I was looking for.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewforum.php?f=42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a shitload of PT information that is not just about "bulking up". Running and push up improvements, etc.

You need to research a program for your specific goals, put together a routine, then post it here for evaluation and critique.

Not everything will be given to you in the US Army. You will have to dig into regulations, policies and SOPs, so this is good practice for ya, especially if you get hurt and have to rehab yourself (which will happen, don't know when or where, but it's guaranteed). So post your goals and your work out routine to achieve those goals.

Don't forget diet.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
bethebaud
Embryo

Post by bethebaud »

Thanks Ranger Panthersix. I'll work out a schedule and post it for critique.
bethebaud
Embryo

Post by bethebaud »

I made a workout based off a similiar one I've done in the past. My goal is to get my 2 mile run below 12 minutes and consistently average around 100 PU and 100 SU on the APFT. My current scores are found in my first post. Please add any critique or evaluation needed.

Monday
Killer Sprint Workout (Found in Ranger Silverback's post)
PU: 70 (then conduct 7 while holding for 5 seconds in the down position); 50 (5 in down position); 30 (3 in down position); 10 diamonds (1 in down position)
Pull-Up Pyramid: 1-10-1
SU Workout #1 (The following abdominal exercises are conducted in sets of 18 with 18 Sit-Ups done in between each ab exercise): Crunch, Left Oblique, Right Oblique, Leg Lift, Leg Extensions, Bicycle Kicks (4-count), Flutter Kicks (4-count)

Tuesday
5 Mile Run
Push-Up Pyramid: 1-11-1
Dips until muscle failure
Sit-Up Workout #2: 50 crunches, 25 reverse crunches, 25 combo crunches, 50 bicycle kicks (4-count), 50 flutter kicks (4-count); repeat twice

Wednesday
3 Mile Run on 1/4 mile track - Sprint Sides and jog corners
PU: 70 (then conduct 7 while holding for 5 seconds in the down position); 50 (5 in down position); 30 (3 in down position); 10 diamonds (1 in down position)
SU Workout #1 (sets of 20)

Thursday
8 Mile Run
Max PU/2 mins, rest 30 seconds, Max PU/1 min
Max SU/2 mins, rest 30 seconds, Max SU/1min

Friday
Swimming: Swim length of pool then complete 10 PU, repeat 10 times
100 PU
SU Workout #1

Saturday
6 Mile Run
PU Pyramid: 1-11-1
SU Workout #2
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

bethebaud wrote:I made a workout based off a similiar one I've done in the past. My goal is to get my 2 mile run below 12 minutes and consistently average around 100 PU and 100 SU on the APFT. My current scores are found in my first post. Please add any critique or evaluation needed.

Monday
Killer Sprint Workout (Found in Ranger Silverback's post)
SU Workout #1 (The following abdominal exercises are conducted in sets of 18 with 18 Sit-Ups done in between each ab exercise): Crunch, Left Oblique, Right Oblique, Leg Lift, Leg Extensions, Bicycle Kicks (4-count), Flutter Kicks (4-count)

Tuesday
5 Mile Run
Push-Up Pyramid: 1-11-1
Sit-Up Workout #2: 50 crunches, 25 reverse crunches, 25 combo crunches, 50 bicycle kicks (4-count), 50 flutter kicks (4-count); repeat twice

Wednesday
3 Mile Run on 1/4 mile track - Sprint Sides and jog corners
SU Workout #1 (sets of 20)

Thursday
8 Mile Run
Max PU/2 mins, rest 30 seconds, Max PU/1 min
Max SU/2 mins, rest 30 seconds, Max SU/1min

Friday
Swimming: Swim length of pool then complete 10 PU, repeat 10 times
100 PU
SU Workout #1

Saturday
6 Mile Run
PU Pyramid: 1-11-1
SU Workout #2
Looks good to me, but I'd put in some other training too, more swimming, more pull ups and some ruck marching (no more than once a week). You did OK, but your attention to detail isn't very good. You forgot to post your diet too....whoops! :roll:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
bethebaud
Embryo

Post by bethebaud »

Ranger Panthersix,

Here is the diet plan to go along with the workout. The plan entails eating a minimum of three meals and two snacks in the day, with the first meal being within one hour of waking up. Each meal contains 1/3 of the plate containing food with low-fat protein and 2/3 of the plate being vegtables and fruit. The plan calls for eating more vegtables and fruit and less pasta, breads, grains, and starches. Some monononsaturated fat is added to every meal (i.e. olive oil) The two snacks within the day are protein based. Drink 8 ounces of water thirty minutes before a meal and at least 64 ounces of water throughout the day.

I'm currently revising my original workout plan in regard to the critique you provided and will have it posted as soon as I complete it.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I'm glad you're taking one day a week off from training. You should probably also have a "dirt day" as they say where you can eat whatever fatty, carb filled pizza or BBQ that you crave. I wouldn't work out till muscle failure either. Start doing 5 reps of an exercise then 5 reps of another exercise, maybe a dozen or so body weight exercises, but do many sets.

No need to run 8 miles unless your really enjoy it. 5 or 6 miles once a week should be a good long run. Also, if you're in college, then look for a yoga class for flexibility. Plus there's a lot of great looking women in those classes!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “About Army Physical Training”