Lighter Fighters Sent To Afghanistan

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Joshua
Veteran: South Africa

Post by Joshua »

Sometimes you need to shed weight to be more efficient

April 26, 2009: After several delays, some troops of the U.S. Army 4th Brigade will receive lighter personal equipment, before going to Afghanistan. New, and lighter boots, tools and body armor will lighten the infantryman's load by an average 13 pounds (5.9 kg). This is a big deal for grunts who spend hours marching and running around carrying 60-100 pounds of gear.

It took years of complaints from the infantry, including everyone from officers to NCOs to the newest grunt to arrive, before the U.S. Army was moved to try something drastic about the weight situation. This experiment with the 4th Brigade involves equipping a battalion with the lightest substitutes the army could find for body armor, packs, boots and other gear, while simply leaving some stuff out entirely. This resulted in twenty or more pounds, depending on the mission, being removed from the soldiers combat load. The effectiveness of the battalion will be monitored, along with the injury and casualty rates. The troops (including officers and NCOs) will also be interviewed, to get a better idea of just what happens, good and bad, when the weight is reduced. After all that, the brass will decide how far to go in reducing the load permanently, and going for even more cuts.

The biggest, and heaviest, problem is body armor. Although the new armor offers better protection, it is heavier and bulkier, thus inducing fatigue and hindering mobility. This often led to battlefield situations where a less tired, and more agile, infantryman could have avoided injury. Military and political leaders usually do not appreciate this angle. But the troops do, as it is a matter of life and death for them.

Full Story
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Lighter Fighters Sent To Afghanistan

Post by Silverback »

Minor edits...good submission!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Imagine that...listening to the soldiers who have to use the stuff....priceless.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
That Guy
Ranger

Post by That Guy »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Imagine that...listening to the soldiers who have to use the stuff....priceless.

:lol:
1/75 C Co
2004-2006

Hard times don't last, but hard men do.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

The regular foot soldier's equipment might be lighter, but I'll bet the amount of weight he carries will stay the same. He will just be able to carry more stuff.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Return to “The News Dump”