Gaining weight

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
GreAle90
Embryo

Gaining weight

Post by GreAle90 »

Im and 18 year old guy with a very high metabolism. I eat often and lets just say i dont have small helpings, and yet i cant seem to gain any weight. What is the best thing to combine with in-home workouts to help me put on some healthy weight?
Thank you.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Re: Gaining weight

Post by Rangerguru »

Lift heavy, low reps, eat high protein meals every two hours.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

When I went to Basic training I weighed 148lbs and I was 6'. Which means I was skinny but I was fast. Your body will develop naturally why rush it?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
GreAle90
Embryo

Post by GreAle90 »

Roger, I will take the high weight low reps into account.

Also, what would you recomend for easy high protein meals, other then fish?
I also need help with meals that will help give me more energy, or vitamins if thats what I need.
Thank you.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Besides fish (tuna and salmon), chicken, beef, pork. Eat nuts for snacks - almonds, peanuts, cashews, etc. Drink milk, eat ice cream and cheese. Or you can spend lots of money on supplements that may or may not work for you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
GreAle90
Embryo

Post by GreAle90 »

Thanks Ranger Bill, I'll add those foods to my diet right away.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Try the 1/75 weight gain program, suck some dick protien
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

RRDTm3 wrote:Try the 1/75 weight gain program, suck some dick protien
It was Crispy Creme god dammit!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

GreAle90 wrote:Thanks Ranger Bill, I'll add those foods to my diet right away.
:::SILVERBACK HEARD:::
Yeah whatever...I wanna be buff so I can look like all those guys in the Army movies.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I'll trade metabolisms with you.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
JayThomas
Egg

Post by JayThomas »

I was doing pushups regularly for about 2 weeks, doing about 200 a day. I was also doing flutter kicks and other abb exercises and some leg exercises occassionally, but I didn't gain any weight. At that time I weighed about 170. Then I started to lift heavy low reps, drink lots of milk, and eat a protien/ carbo rich diet. That was about a month and a half ago. I now weigh 192 and I'm still gaining.

Doing calistenics probably won't make you gain weight no matter how much you eat. That will just get you ripped and give you good endurance. If you want to gain strength and weight go 6 sets of 4 reps with high weight. Do exercises that hit the big muscle groups. Bench press, squat, deadlift. Do shrugs. Do wide gripped-palms-out pull ups. Those will widen your shoulders and put some weight on you. I know that from experience. I went from normal sized shoulders to a good four inches or so wider due solely to those wide gripped palms out pull ups.

Hit as much of your body in the gym as you can. The more muscles you hit the more muscle you will gain and the more you will weigh.

I recommend plently of milk which is 8 grams of protein per cup, and oatmeal, which is 5 grams of protien per half cup, along with 27 grams of carbs per half cup.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.
JayThomas
Egg

Post by JayThomas »

I recently went to a local health food store and the people working there had information on a chalk board about an amino acid called L-Glutamine. It is naturally occuring in the body and it's highest concentration is in the muscles. "Vigorous excorcise depletes muscle L-Glutamine storage levels which can lead to catabolism (Muscle breakdown)." So supplementing L-Glutamine will keep that from happening. It also increases the amount of protien your body uses and helps build muscle in that way. The chalkboard also said that if you supplement 5g (the standard recommended serving size) it increases your bodies natural growth hormone by 10%. So if you want to builk up and gain weight, consider supplementing L-Glutamine.

Also consider that I saw this information in a natural health food store, so it is a healthy supplement not a dangerous one.
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Worry about being able to pass your PT test and hump your own weight. If you get beach muscles in the process, awesome, but the reason you train is to be more lethal on the battlefield.

Which brings me to this. Jay Thomas, who are and why are you digging up old posts only to answer yourself. Try staying in your lane.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
RAT
BANNED

Post by RAT »

JayThomas wrote: At that time I weighed about 170. Then I started to lift heavy low reps, drink lots of milk, and eat a protien/ carbo rich diet. That was about a month and a half ago. I now weigh 192 and I'm still gaining.
So you gained 22 LBS and you do not fit in the hight and weight standards and now your a FAT ASS... I would start running and make sure you weight is down....

If you are not over 73 inches you are over weight.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corr ... 30803p.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh I forgot this is not a Marine board. :o :D

You know the Rangers really don't run that far and they are all Arnold looking dudes. :roll:

All I know is being around the Rangers... You best be able to run your ass off way past the 5 mile mark. They have some super studs in the Reg's.

RO!!!

Return to “About Army Physical Training”