Does anyone have books or Websites with Ranger skills

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Deadmeat

Does anyone have books or Websites with Ranger skills

Post by Deadmeat »

I'm looking for any book or website that will tell me everything i need to know when taking tests and such in Ranger school. I know most of it is hands of type stuff. Though i do hear you get tested on Ranger history. Instead of spending time doing nothing with my free time, i figure why not get good at map reading, land navagation, making knots, etc etc anything that will give me a bit of a head start. While i know its impossible to learn everything. With 7 months till i leave i would hope i could get a good basis of knowledge. So does anyone know some books or websites to point me in the right direction. I asked my recruiter, though he just directed me to the standard book everyone gets. I'm more intreseted in what i need to know for Ranger school and get cracking on it. I mean it would suck to fail because of some silly test. Thanks in advance guys!
Glock

Post by Glock »

I wouldn't worry about Ranger school until I get pass RIP. But what it sounds like, you want a Ranger handbook. Look on amazon.com they have them over there.
Glock

Post by Glock »

The Ranger handbook can be found here online.

http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/ ... NTENTS.htm
Cicisbeo

Post by Cicisbeo »

There's a couple of books that are really well written and I think exactly what you're looking for. The first is The Coveted Black and Gold written by LTC JD Lock. It is a daily journal of Ranger School and it describes exerything from how much he ate in a day to City Week and patrolling.

Another good book is Ranger School: No Excuse Leadership by Brace Barber. I really enjoyed this book because it focuses on individual stories of Rangers and the priciples of leadership that they took away from the school.

To Fight With Intrepidity, also by JD Lock, is a very detailed history of Ranger campaigns beginning with Rogers' Rangers and finishing with Somalia. Oh, you should also read Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden.

I've read all of these books and I think that they act as a pretty good starting point for future Rangers like ourselfs. It's a good way to go into our training with at least a basic knowledge of what the courageous men before us have gone through. Achieving the Ranger tab will seem that much more important if you understand the history behind it.

Mike
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Yah maybe i'm thinking a bit ahead, though from reading Coveted black and gold it just seems they through alot at you quickly and test you right away. Though its confusing now i suppose Ait will clear up alot of it of me. Thanks for book list i read Coveted B&G and Blackhawk down already.
RgrPantel
Ranger

Post by RgrPantel »

AIT won't teach you shit. In my opinion it was a waste of time because there is nothing advanced about it. It seemed to me that my DI's primary instruction was not to teach us anything because "your unit will teach you that." ARMY basic training is a fucking joke. What good is it that they teach you how to use a radio that hasn't been used in 20 years? If they are going to do medical training, why not get everyone combat lifesaver qualified (like Batt. does)? What is the purpose of 1 person in the whole platoon getting to fire one AT-4 or 1 round out of the M203? That "FTX" was bullshit too. The only thing I learned there was how to dig a foxhole (which I never had to do again). Did I get the chance to apply any of the land nav classes that they taught?...no. There weren't even any cool obstacle courses like in the movies. My first impresion of the ARMY was that it was a joke. Thank god for RIP, which is where my real training began. It would be great if every infantry soldier was required to attend RIP vs. AIT.
2nd Bn 96-00 C Co. 2nd plt., class 4-99
We're here, we need to get there; kill everything in between.
Glock

Found a site

Post by Glock »

I was searching around the net and I came across this site:

http://secure.milspecgroup.com/cgi-bin/ ... xt%3d.html

If your looking for some Ranger books this is the place to go. Make sure you read Black Hawk Down, that is one of the best books I've ever read.
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

The skill that you will need most should you be called upon to fight in any arena will be the ability to think under fire. One can only obtain this skill from quality training. Quality training will give you the "calmness" you will need to think and consists of a combination of practical skills with weapons/equipment, repetition, and mind set. The practical skills will be provided to you by your chain of command. How to deploy and maintain your weapons systems and equipment will be fundamental and everyone must master these. Repetition comes from doing the same task, again and again, until you are sick of it. With repetition you are conditioning you brain to "react" rather than think. Under high stress the higher cognitive skills of the brain shut down making it difficult to think so your tasks must be conditioned into your psyche allowing you to act reflexively. Now you must have the proper mental attitude to force yourself to "train like you fight". This is no secret, ask any coach or trainer in any sport, "if you train sloppy you will be sloppy". Why, it's simple. Remember "repetition" and why it is important? If you are conditioning yourself through "repetition" so that you can respond correctly under stress then that repetition must be executed properly otherwise you will condition yourself with a poor or sloppy response and that can get you hurt. So, make sure that when you train you act like it is the real thing. Don't sell yourself short on this point it is very important. Mind set is the attitude that you will try to do the best you can in everything. From PT tests, to inspections, to weapons and equipment always try to "Max Out" rather than settle for just making the minimum requirements and you will never regret the effort. All of the things i have mentioned, practical skills, repetition, and mind set will come together give you the confidence and thus the ability to think clearly under fire. Good Luck to those of you about to join the Ranger Battalions and remember your training.

RLTW
dhutch07
Egg

Post by dhutch07 »

Hey meat,

Try www.rangerjoe.com They got some good books n stuff. If you really want to study, get your d1ck beaters on a FM 7-8 and a Soldiers manual for common tasks 1. Thats some nice studyen. Hutch, out.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”