Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Corpsman jailed for unauthorized medal

Post by Jim »

Corpsman jailed for unauthorized medal

Former chief never officially approved to get Purple Heart
By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Jan 4, 2009 8:41:03 EST

Whether Robert White was injured in Iraq in 2005 and deserved a Purple Heart makes no difference now.

The chief hospital corpsman wore the award without receiving it through official channels, and in the Navy’s eyes, that makes him a faker.

The 19-year sailor, who was selected for advancement to senior chief in March, pleaded guilty on Dec. 16 to the unauthorized wearing of a Purple Heart while he worked at Great Lakes, Ill.

White’s military judge sentenced him to 45 days in the brig, busted him down to E-5 and ordered him to forfeit four months of pay.

The Navy initially charged White with several counts of filing false documents, making false statements and knowingly wearing a Purple Heart he never formally received.

He pleaded guilty to Article 134, unauthorized wearing of a Purple Heart; and to Article 107, making a false official statement.

White also pleaded guilty to fraternization for dating the second-class personnel clerk who entered White’s Purple Heart information in his official Navy file.

In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors dropped charges related to submitting false documents.

White’s guilty plea marks an ambiguous end to the case that initially threatened a general court-martial, years in the brig and a dishonorable discharge.

Still unresolved is his claim that he sustained a minor hand injury during a mortar attack in July 2005, when he was deployed with 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, in Hit, Iraq.

White and his immediate supervisor — who testified in September — put in paperwork for the Purple Heart several weeks after White said he was wounded.

Marine officials said they have no record of granting or denying the award to White.

In White’s guilty plea, he told a military judge that he knew he did not receive the award through official channels, and that he went out and bought the medal himself.

“He did put in [paperwork] for it, but he never got it — and he knew he never got it,” said Lt. Carrie Theis, the lawyer who prosecuted White at Great Lakes Naval Station.

The question of whether White deserved the award is moot, Theis said.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/01/m ... r_010409w/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
ShotUp
Soldier

Re: Corpsman jailed for unauthorized medal

Post by ShotUp »

Shit like this just blows my mind.

If you know you deserve the medal, and you know you're going to get it, why in the hell can't you wait to get conformation and the actual medal?
02-08 1/128 INF BN
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

OK. Anybody catch the fact that it said he was 19 and a Senior Chief? Maybe Im wrong but how many 19 year olds make THAT rank? Its E-6 dudes.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Adjust your bifocals old one ..."19 year senior chief". As in that how long he had been a squid.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

rgrpuck wrote:Adjust your bifocals old one ..."19 year senior chief". As in that how long he had been a squid.
Damn.

The dude was definitely old enough to know better.

And old enough to know that if he needed to trace some lost paperwork, to either get it done or resubmit it.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

rgrpuck wrote:Adjust your bifocals old one ..."19 year senior chief". As in that how long he had been a squid.
The 19-year sailor, who was selected for advancement to senior chief in March, pleaded guilty on Dec. 16 to the unauthorized wearing of a Purple Heart while he worked at Great Lakes, Ill

Uh yea....see that now.... :oops: :oops:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:OK. Anybody catch the fact that it said he was 19 and a Senior Chief? Maybe Im wrong but how many 19 year olds make THAT rank? Its E-6 dudes.

Actually, Senior is E-8.

Cheif (CPO) is E-7, and PO1 (MM1 or whatever rate they are) are E-6.

PO2, or second class (MOS like MM2) are E-5's like his girlfriend.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

K then.
RS Class # 7-76

Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Hung Low wrote:I least I know now that I'm not the only one on this site who wrecklessly sticks his foot in his mouth. :D
Holy shit. Efuckingnuff already...Im turning you mother fuckers into the AARP for picking on and making fun of old people.
RS Class # 7-76

Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
Hung Low wrote:I least I know now that I'm not the only one on this site who wrecklessly sticks his foot in his mouth. :D
Holy shit. Efuckingnuff already...Im turning you mother fuckers into the AARP for picking on and making fun of old people.
Sorry. As a charter member of AARP, I am denying your claim. Based upon your claim to be a Ranger, your hide is tough/pickled enough to withstand such barbs.

Next case......
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Lefty wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote:
Sorry. As a charter member of AARP, I am denying your claim. Based upon your claim to be a Ranger, your hide is tough/pickled enough to withstand such barbs.

Next case......
:roll: Geez, stars aint lining up today now are they....Im taking my gallon jug of Geritol laced with Satans sperm and.....and....uhhh.....what was I talking about?
RS Class # 7-76

Return to “The Mosh Pit”