Looking for Firearm suggestions from the experts here

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Looking for Firearm suggestions from the experts here

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Hello all,
I signed up for a program that is put on in our area by local law enforcement for the community, civilians. One of the weeks they'll be showing markmanship, I believe it's a demonstration not an exercise, heck put a firearm in my hands and everyone be running for cover. Then they'd send in SWAT to take me down to the ground :lol: just kidding :wink:

My reason for posting is I've been putting off going to get firearm training, instruction since I've been a bit intimidated having only shot a Desert Eagle twice about 10 years ago. I did not like the sense of helplessness when I couldn't control the recoil; yes I know not a gun to start a novice on. Long story short, my ex husband wouldn't listen and refused to teach me on any other gun.

Now I've decided I'd like to be more in the know for when the markmanship presentation is provided and would like to go take some lessons before hand.

Can anyone suggest firearms that beginners, especially female novices like to use?

Some that have been recommended are: Glock 9MM, Lady Wesson, 1911?, Spitfire?

I appreciate any information, suggestions provided an educated firearm user is a good firearm user I believe.

Thanks, Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Trigger
Tadpole

Re: Looking for Firearm suggestions from the experts here

Post by Trigger »

A lot of this decision will have to do with what fits your hands (if you have particularly small hands, you will be more limited in choices) and what you feel comfortable with. I will tell you this to start off with:

1. Avoid sub-compact weapons. For some reason, every gun store commando in America wants to give every woman a sub-compact. The smaller and lighter the weapon, the more perceived recoil and muzzle rise.

2. If your hands are big enough and you feel comfortable with it, a double stack weapon (meaning the rounds in the magazine are staggered) will give you much greater capacity, an important feature in a defensive firearm.

3. You CAN handle any caliber out there. Don't let some gun store commando tell you otherwise. I shoot IPSC (action/movement based handgun shooting) with a twelve year old girl. She shoots a .40 Glock 22 (which is a full size). She's shooting full power (Major power factor) ammunition and she beats a good 1/3 of the men there.

4. Stick with 9mm, .40, or .45ACP. Again, for some reason some individuals feel a "mouse gun/caliber" is always the best choice for a woman. They are wrong.

I would personally suggest 9mm, it has the tamest recoil of the three in addition to have widely available, cheap practice ammo. Keep it loaded with quality self defense ammunition (My personal choice is Hornady TAP) and it will be a very capable man stopper.

The Glock 19 (9mm) is an excellent overall defensive weapon, for anyone. If I could only have one handgun, it would be a Glock 19. It's a mid-sized weapon that allows you to get a solid grip, is not super light such that recoil becomes an issue, but is well suited for concealed carry as well. It is equally at home on the range, in your bedside drawer, or in an inside the waistband holster.

Night sights and a weapon's mounted light would round out the package and make it an excellent home defense firearm.

1911's are nice as well and are available in 9mm, .40, and .45 as well, although .45 is by far the predominant caliber. They are more expensive and can be more finicky than Glocks; but they are generally more accurate and many consider them safer due to the presence of an external safety and grip safety.

In short, I recommend a Glock 19. Have a set of night sights installed on it, mount a quality weapon's light (such as a Surefire X200, Surefire X300, Insight XTi, or many others) on it and you will have a very capable and well rounded self defense firearm.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Practice, practice, practice.
Go slow, develop good form and the rest will follow.
Trigger gave good advice.
Get the firearm you're most comfortable with. The calibre might not satisfy all us "experts" but the best ballistics, knock down power etc in the world are worth exactly nothing if you don't hit the target.
Self defense aside, plinking can be just plain cathartic and relaxing.
Enjoy.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Get you an air pistol! Then get you some fun target for shooting in your back yard! A sweet pellet gun with blown up pix of the ex can be a lot of fun and a good learning experience. Then when you're ready, move up to a real gun.

Have fun! Maybe try paintball or laser tag too. When I was a kid my first person shooter game was a Daisey BB air rifle! Not a Red Ryder but pretty darn close! Got an expert in basic and only missed two targets.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Make a short list of weapons you may be interested in and then find a gun range that rents them and go shoot them.

Glock
Springfield XD
H&K USP

Are about the big three semi autos out there, I would not recommend a 1911 unless you plan on getting some good instruction and want to spend some real money on a gun. My wife’s Glock was 400.00 for a G23. I got her a Glock because they do work but it’s not my favorite gun, if the XD would have been out longer I would have gotten one of those. I don’t like anything smaller than a .40 S&W.

Last don’t overlook a good revolver in 357 and up.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Or, come to the Ranch. On site weapons, instruction, and 2 days of solid good time. Jes sayin.....
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

panthersix wrote:Get you an air pistol! Then get you some fun target for shooting in your back yard! A sweet pellet gun with blown up pix of the ex can be a lot of fun and a good learning experience. Then when you're ready, move up to a real gun.

Have fun! Maybe try paintball or laser tag too. When I was a kid my first person shooter game was a Daisey BB air rifle! Not a Red Ryder but pretty darn close! Got an expert in basic and only missed two targets.
In fact, she could even pick up an exact replica of whatever weapon she chooses in the form of a gas blowback airsoft pistol for about $100. They can be pretty exacting replicas; I have a picture of my Glock 19 next to my friend's airsoft Glock 19 and you can't tell the difference. The slide cycles and everything on his airsoft Glock.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

My woman has small hands like a carnie and she carries a Springfield XD 40 compact. It's the same size as a Glock 19, but they don't cost as much and in my opinion, they are a way better shooting weapon and they also have a grip safety. The H&K has a slightly larger grip, but it too is a better shooting weapon compared to the Glock.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Trigger wrote:
panthersix wrote:Get you an air pistol! Then get you some fun target for shooting in your back yard! A sweet pellet gun with blown up pix of the ex can be a lot of fun and a good learning experience. Then when you're ready, move up to a real gun.

In fact, she could even pick up an exact replica of whatever weapon she chooses in the form of a gas blowback airsoft pistol for about $100. They can be pretty exacting replicas; I have a picture of my Glock 19 next to my friend's airsoft Glock 19 and you can't tell the difference. The slide cycles and everything on his airsoft Glock.
you were doing ok till you said airsoft....... :roll:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

rgrpuck wrote:
Trigger wrote:

you were doing ok till you said airsoft....... :roll:
I don't get the "airsoft" thing either. WTF, OVER?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

Ranger Rgrpuck,

I don't play airsoft, and I definitely laugh at a lot of airsofters too (although I do know of a few Rangers who play).

The gas operated airsoft guns, however, do have actual training value for a person with little to no firearm's experience. Their operation is identical, such that the individual can learn the manual of arms in their living room; and actually "fire" the "weapon" there as well. They are also excellent, cheap tools to teach a person basic tactics in their home. Simunitions is definitely a better platform for that, but it also costs significantly more and requires a dedicated training environment to use them in; unless the person is okay with marking up their walls. If the individual is unwilling or incapable of getting to the range as often as they should, it can be a decent supplement.

- Trigger
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Trigger, Ranger K. Ingraham, Ranger panthersix, Ranger Horned Toad, Ranger Rangerguru and TC204,
I appreciate the posts and information you all provided on firearms.

Ranger rgrpuck, I now understand what Trigger was getting at with the airsoft suggestion. I was lost at first also but got it now.

Ranger panthersix, I' ve played Laser Tag a few times and have had a great time with it, even kicked some butt too!

Ranger Rock Island Ranger, So you haver any airsoft to try out down at the Ranch? LOL. :lol: I am seriously planning on making it down there for the Chica Bash 2009. Who knows maybe have my very own firearm to bring down.

TC204, So you like purses do you, just kidding!

Take care all and Thanks, Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Hung Low wrote:A Barrett M82, an HK 91, a Ruger Alaskan .44mag, Remington 870 Express(synthetic, 7-rd), a Para Ordnance Covert Carry .45, a Springfield M21, a...

Oh wait, those are the guns that I want. Sorry...!
Ranger Hung Low,
Sounds like a small arsenal, probably have to sell all my assets to acquire these..... oh wait, good thing this is your firearm want list. A Para Ordnance (didn't spell it as Ordinance :wink: ) Carry have no idea what this is?

Thanks, Jenny
Jenny

Return to “Weapons of War”